Total views : 264
Pipelined Architecture for Motion Estimation in HEVC Video Coding
Background: High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is the latest video coding standard for video coding. Motion estimation is one of important stages in video coding. In HEVC, the conventional macroblocks are replaced by coding tree units (CTU). Method/Statistical Analysis: The maximum block size is increased from 16×16 to 64×64 in HEVC makes motion estimation more complex. An efficient hardware architecture ha to be designed for real time implementation of motion estimation. In motion estimation, sum of absolute difference (SAD) is calculated between current block and reference blocks present in two different video frames and minimum of SAD gives motion vector of the block. Findings: This paper presents design of pipelined SAD architecture for efficient SAD calculations. The proposed design is used in diamond search algorithm to carry out the motion estimation for evaluating the performance of the design. The proposed architecture employs pipelining at 8×8 block. The proposed design is implemented in TSMC 90 nm technology and operates at maximum frequency of 486 MHz. Applications/Improvements: The design achieves 78% reduction in power compared to the previous design and around 50 % increase in operating frequency.
H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, Motion Estimation, Motion Vector, Sum of Absolute Difference.
- Sullivan GJ, Ohm J, Han W-J, Wiegand T. Overview of the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Standard. IEEE Trans Circuit and System for Video Tech. 2012 Dec; 22(12).
- Kim I-K et al. Coding efficiency improvement of HEVC using asymmetric motion partitioning. IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting (BMSB). 2012.
- Nalluri P, Alves LN, Navarro A. A novel SAD architecture for variable block size motion estimation in HEVC video coding. IEEE International Symposium on System on Chip (SoC). 2013 Oct.
- Nalluri P, Alves LN, Navarro A. High speed sad architectures for variable block size motion Estimation in HEVC video coding. IEEE. 2014.
- Liu Z, Goto S, Ikenaga T. Optimization of Propagate Partial SAD and SAD tree motion estimation hardwired engine for H.264. IEEE Inter Conf on Compo Des. 2008 Oct. p. 328–33.
- Zhu S, Ma K-K. A New Diamond Search Algorithm for Fast Block-Matching Motion Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2000 Feb; 9(2).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.