Total views : 553
Seed Yield and Oil Content of Sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) Genotypes in Response to Different Methods of Nitrogen Application
A field study to evaluate the impact of nitrogen application methods on the growth and yield performance of sesame varieties was carried out at Students’ Experimental Farm, Sindh Agriculture University Tandojam during summer 2013. The experiment was laid out in a three replicated randomized complete block design with factorial arrangements. The treatments comprised of three nitrogen application methods (Broadcasting @ 100 kg N ha-1, Foliar application @ 1% N+Broadcasting: 50 kg N ha-1 and Fertigation @ 100 kg N ha-1) and three sesame varieties (S-17, PR-122 and PR-509). The statistical analysis of data showed that effect of various nitrogen application methods on the growth, seed yield and oil content of sesame varieties was significant (P<0.05). The foliar application of 1% N in combination with broadcasting: 50 kg N ha-1 showed superiority in performance over rest of the methods in all growth and yield traits particularly seed yield (719.9 kg ha-1). The sesame plots given nitrogen through fertigation ranked 2nd in agronomic performance specifically seed yield (533.4 kg ha-1). The application of nitrogen through broadcasting alone resulted in least growth and yield parameters, particularly seed yield (709.4 kg ha-1). Among sesame varieties, S-17 showed its superiority for all the growth and yield traits of sesame in particular seed yield (646.7 kg ha-1), followed by variety PR-509 with 544.7 kg ha-1 seed yield. However, minimum growth and yield performance was noted in PR-122 which produced 536.3 kg ha-1 seed yield. As regards, interactive effects, maximum (810.3 kg ha-1) seed yield of sesame was recorded in the interaction of foliar application @ 1% N+ broadcasting x variety S-17. Hence, it is concluded from the results that 1% foliar application of nitrogen in combination with 50% reduced of N through broadcasting method was found most appropriate for obtaining optimum yield of sesame varieties under agro-ecological conditions of Tandojam, Pakistan
N Application, Sesame Varieties, Seed Yield and Oil Content.
- Wikipedia. Sesame: from Wikipedia. Encyclopedia Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.; 2013.
- Asghar MM, Farrukh SM, Mumtaz CA, Shamim A. Influence of different nitrogen levels on productivity of sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) under varying planting patterns.
- International Journal of Agriculture and Biology. 2003; 5(4):1-3.
- Arif M, Chohan MA, Ali S, Gul R, Khan S. Response of wheat to foliar application of nutrients. Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. 2006; 1(4):30-4.
- Chowdhury S, Animesh KD, Aditi S, Sonali S, Rita P, Susmita M, Ananya D. Traits influencing yield in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) and multilocational trials of yield parameters in some desirable plant types. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010; 3(2). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2010/v3i2/29670
- Derby NE, Steel DD, Terpstra J, Knighton RE, Casey FXM. Interaction of nitrogen, weather, soil and irrigation on corn yield. Agronomy Journal. 2005; 97:1342-51.
- Sripada RP, Heiniger RW, White JG, Weisz R. Aerial color infrared photography for determining late-season nitrogen requirements in corn. Agronomy Journal. 2005; 97:144397.
- Noorka IR, Rehman S, Haidry JR, Khaliq I, Tabassam S, Din M. Effect of water stress on physicochemical properties of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2009; 41(6):2917-24.
- Gul S, Khan MH, Khanday BA, Nabi S. Effect of sowing methods and NPK levels on growth and yield of rainfed maize (Zea mays L.). Scientifica. 2015. Doi no:10.1155/2015/198575.
- Kalaiselvan P, Subrahmaniyan K, Balasubramanian TN. Effect of nitrogen on the growth and yield of sesame - A review. Agriculture Research. 2001; 22(2):137-40.
- Hou Z, Pinfang L, Baoguo L, Jiang G, Yanna W. Effects of fertigation scheme on N uptake and N use efficiency in cotton. Plant and Soil. 2007; 290(1-2):115-26.
- Jiusheng L, Bei L, Rao M. Spatial and temporal distributions of nitrogen and crop yield as affected by nonuniformity of sprinkler fertigation. Agriculture and Water Management. 2005; 76(3):160-80.
- Muzzammil HS, Oad FC, Abbasi AMK, Gandahi AW. Effect of NPK, micronutrients and N-placement on the growth and yield of sunflower. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture. 2009; 25(1):45-52.
- Ali EA, Ahmed SY. Influence of nitrogen rates and foliar spray by different concentration of copper on sesame seed and oil yields as well as nitrogen use efficiency in sandy soil. Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. 2012; 8(2):174-8.
- Anitta S, Fanish P, Muthukrishnan, Prem SS. Effect of drip fertigation in intensive maize (Zea mays) based intercropping system. Crop Research. 2012; 42(1-2-3):69-76.
- Statistix. Statistix 8 user guide, version 1.0. Analytical Software. 2006.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.