Total views : 280
Adaptive Security Schemes based on Context and Trust for Ubiquitous Computing Environment: A Comprehensive Survey
Objectives: To present the principle of working of some of the widely used adaptive security schemes in the domain of ubiquitous computing. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The main focus of the study includes analysis of the security schemes with respect to the use of security parameters such as context and trust. Many security schemes applied for various applications are considered and evaluated by considering the security credentials such as access control, privacy, and context-awareness. The study finds context and trust as essential to develop adaptive and accurate security framework. Findings: The paper identified different taxonomies built for trust, context, policy and adaptive security. It pointed many solutions to couple with the security issues like access control, and authentication that are more appropriate to the today’s world. It also discussed many security and implementation credentials with a review summary and suggested the findings could be used to propose adaptive security frameworks which can offer the required level of security. Application/Improvements: The proposed framework can be used to applications built in the Ubiquitous Computing Environment (UCE) such as Ubiquitous-healthcare, U-learning, U-smart campus, and so on.
Access Control, Adaptive Security, Context, Privacy, Trust, Ubiquitous Computing Environment
- Patel A, Nordin R, Al-Haiqi A. Beyond ubiquitous computing: The Malaysian honeybee project for innovative digital economy. Computer Standards and Interfaces. 2014; 36(5):844–854.
- Lee K, Lee D, Hyun S J. A self-adaptation model for Ubiquitous computing application. Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. Daejeon, Korea; 2010.
- He R, Lacoste M. Applying component-based design to self-protection of ubiquitous systems. Proceedings of the 3rd ACM workshop on Software engineering for pervasive services, ACM; 2008. p. 9–14.
- Pasquale L, Ghezzi C, Menghi C, Tsigkanos C, Nuseibeh B. Topology aware adaptive security. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems, ACM; 2014. p. 43–8.
- Liang Q, Cheng X. Kups: Knowledge-based Ubiquitous and Persistent Sensor networks for threat assessment. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. 2008; 44(3):1060–9.
- Hess AOEB. Specification of adaptive security protocolssecure and trusted mediation layer for wireless sensor networks. Trustworthy Wireless Industrial Sensor (TWIS) Networks; 2013.
- Cotroneo D, Graziano A, Russo S. Security requirements in service oriented architectures for ubiquitous computing.Proceedings of the 2nd workshop on Middleware for pervasive and ad-hoc computing, ACM. 2004. p. 172–7.
- Da K, Dalmau M, Roose P. A survey of adaptation systems.International Journal on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems. 2011; 2(1):1–18.
- Evesti A, Suomalainen J, Ovaska E. Architecture and knowledge-driven self-adaptive security in smart space.Computers. 2013; 2(1):34–66.
- Mayrhofer R, Schmidtke HR, Sigg S. Security and trust in context-aware applications. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 2014; 18(1):115–16.
- Li F, Pienkowski D, Van Moorsel A, Smith C. A holistic framework for trust in online transactions. International Journal of Management Reviews. 2012; 14(1):85–103.
- Yan Z, Zhang P, Vasilakos AV. A security and trust framework for virtualized networks and software-defined networking. Security and Communication Networks; 2015.
- Wilson C, Hargreaves T, Hauxwell-Baldwin R. Smart homes and their users: a systematic analysis and key challenges.Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 2015; 19(2):463–76.
- Alia M, Lacoste M. A QoS and security adaptation model for autonomic pervasive systems. 32nd Annual IEEE International conference on Computer Software and Applications, COMPSAC’08, IEEE; 2008. p. 943–8.
- Thomas RK, Sandhu R. Models, protocols, and architectures for secure pervasive computing: Challenges and research directions, PerCom Workshops; 2004.
- Fahrmair M, Sitou W, Spanfelner B. Security and privacy rights management for mobile and ubiquitous computing. Workshop on UbiComp Privacy; 2005. p. 40.
- Cappiello C, Comuzzi M, Mussi E, Pernici B. Context management for adaptive information systems. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science. 2006; 146(1):69–84.
- Han DM, Lim JH. Design and implementation of smart home energy management systems based on zigbee. Transactions on Consumer Electronics. 2010; 56(3): 1417–25.
- Habib K, Leister W. Context-aware authentication for the internet of things. Eleventh International Conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems [Internet]. [cited 2015 Dec 10]. Available from: Wolfgang Leister.
- Dey AK. Understanding and using context. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 2001; 5(1):4–7.
- Brezillon P, Mostefaoui GK. Context-based security policies: A new modeling approach. Proceedings of the Second IEEE Annual Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops, IEEE; 2004. p.154–8.
- Evesti A, Ovaska E. Ontology-based security adaptation at run-time. 4th IEEE International Conference on SelfAdaptive and Self-Organizing Systems (SASO), IEEE; 2010.p. 204–12.
- Yau SS, Karim F. An adaptive middleware for contextsensitive communications for real-time applications in ubiquitous computing environments. Real-Time Systems. 2004; 26(1):29–61.
- Kang S, Kim D, Lee Y, Hyun SJ, Lee D, Lee B. A semantic service discovery network for large-scale ubiquitous computing environments. ETRI Journal. 2007; 29(5):545–58.
- Mirkovic J, Bryhni H, Ruland CM. A framework for the development of ubiquitous patient support systems.6th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth), IEEE; 2012.p. 81–8.
- Jagadamba G, Babu BS. A dynamic Context-based Access Control (CAAC) system. International Conference on Emerging Computing and Information Technology, Elsevier: India; 2013.
- Leister W, Poslad S, Hamdi M, Abie H, Torjusen A. An evaluation framework for adaptive security for the IoT in e-Health. International Journal on Advances in Security.2014; 7.
- Guillemin P, Friess P. Internet of things strategic research roadmap. The Cluster of European Research Projects, Technical Report [Internet]. 2009. Available from: http://www.internet-of-things-research.eu/pdf/IoT Cluster Strategic Research Agenda.
- Oh S, Sandhu R. A model for role administration using organization structure. Proceedings of the 7th ACM symposium on Access control models and technologies, ACM.2002; p. 155–62.
- Diep NN, Hung LX, Zhung Y, Lee S, Lee YK, Lee H.Enforcing access control using risk assessment. 4th European Conference on Universal Multiservice Networks, IEEE; 2007. p. 419–24.
- Fadhel AB, Bianculli D, Briand L. A comprehensive modeling framework for role-based access control policies.Journal of Systems and Software. 2015.
- Choi D, Kim D, Park S. A framework for context sensitive risk-based access control in medical information systems.Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine.2015.
- Bahtiyar S, Caglayan MU. Trust assessment of security for e-health systems. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications. 2014; 13(3):164–77.
- Jovanovikj V, Gabrijelcic D, Klobucar T. A conceptual model of security context. International Journal of Information Security. 2014; 13(6):571–81.
- Mowa Y, Abou-Tair D, Aqarbeh T, Abilov M, Dmitriyev V, Gomez JM. A context-aware adaptive security framework for mobile applications. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Context-Aware Systems and Applications, ICST -Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering; 2014. p.147–53.
- Charles PJ, Kumar S. Design of a secure architecture for contextaware web services using access control mechanism.International Conference on Contemporary Computing and Informatics, IEEE; 2014. p. 780–4.
- Kalidindi RR, Raju KVSVN, Kumari VV, Reddy CS. Trust based participant driven privacy control in participatory sensing. International Journal of Adhoc, Sensor and Ubiquitous Computing. 2011; 2(1).
- Sahil SB, Arnab R, Kanti NM. Trust evaluation based on nodes characteristics and neighbouring nodes recommendations for WSN. Wireless Sensor Network. Scientific Research Publishing; 2014.
- Agrawal CS, Khapre RR, Dhamande CS. A survey paper on the network security for application. International Journal for Reseach in Emerging Science and Technology. 2015; 2(1).
- Petraki E, Abbass H. On trust and influence: A computational red teaming game theoretic perspective. Seventh IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence for Security and Defense Applications. IEEE; 2014. p. 1–7.
- Yeun CY. Security for emerging ubiquitous networks.Journal of Networks. 2005; 1:2.
- Iltaf N, Ghafoor A, Hussain M. Step-: An algorithmic approach towards trust based security in pervasive computing environment. Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Services Computing Conference (APSCC). IEEE; 2011. p. 330–6.
- Basu J, Callaghan V. Towards a trust based approach to security and user confidence in pervasive computing systems.IEEE International Workshop on Intelligent Environments; 2005.
- Hammer S, Winer M, Andre E. Trust-based decision-making for smart and adaptive environments. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction; 2015. p. 1–27.
- Kagal L, Finin T, Joshi A. Trust-based security in pervasive computing environments. Computer. 2001;34(12):154–7.
- Almenarez F, Marn A, Campo C, Garcia C. PTM: A pervasive trust management model for dynamic open environments.First Workshop on Pervasive Security, Privacy and Trust. 2004; 4:1–8.
- Zhang H, Wang Y, Zhang X, Lim EP. Reputationpro: The efficient approaches to contextual transaction trust computation in e-commerce environments. ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB). 2015; 9(1).
- Ryutov T, Zhou L, Neuman C, Leithead T, Seamons KE. Adaptive trust negotiation and access control. Proceedings of the tenth ACM symposium on Access control models and technologies, ACM; 2005. p. 139–46.
- Aditya B, Babu BS. Capacity and service (CapServ) adaptive trust computation by territory formation in ubiquitous environment. Advanced Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing. 2012; 4(4).
- Rajesh AK, Mohan N. Multilevel trust architecture for mobile adhoc networks based on context-aware. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2014; 59(2).
- Djellali B, Chouara A, Belarbi K, Lorenz P. Design of authentication model preserving intimacy and trust in intelligent environments. Network Protocols and Algorithms. 2015; 7(1):64–83.
- Chen R, Guo J, Bao F. Trust management for SOA-based IoT and its application to service composition. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing. 2015; 1:1.
- El Husseini A, M’hamed A, El Hassan B, Mokhtari M. Trust-based authentication scheme with user rating for low-resource devices in smart environments. Personal and ubiquitous computing. 2013; 17(5):1013–23.
- Bhumika G, Zaveri MA, Rath HK. Trust based service discovery in mobile ad-hoc networks. Lecture Notes on Software Engineering. 2015; 3(4):308
- Evans JB, Wang W, Ewy BJ. Wireless networking security: open issues in trust, management, interoperation and measurement. International Journal of Security and Networks. 2006; 1(1–2):84–94.
- Boukerch A, Xu L, El-Khatib K. Trust-based security for wireless adhoc and sensor networks. Computer Communications. 2007; 30(11):2413–27.
- Yan Z, Prehofer C. Autonomic trust management for a component-based software system. IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing. 2011; 8(6):810–23.
- Yaich R, Boissier O, Jaillon P, Picard G. An adaptive and socially-compliant trust management system for virtual communities. Proceedings of the 27th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, ACM. 2012. p. 2022–8.
- Djordjevic I, Nair SK, Dimitrakos T. Virtualised trusted computing platform for adaptive security enforcement of web services interactions. IEEE International Conference on Web Services; 2007. p. 615–22.
- Wang Y, Chen R, Cho JH. Trust-based service management of mobile devices in ad hoc networks; 2015.
- Rajarajeswari S, Somasundaram S. Data confidentiality and privacy in cloud computing. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4):1–8.
- Jagadamba G, Sathish Babu B. Adaptive context-aware access control model for ubiquitous learning environment.International Journal of Information Technology Bharati Vidyapeeth’s Institute of Computer Applications and Management (BVICAM). 2016; 8(1).
- Perera C, Zaslavsky A, Christen P, Georgakopoulos D. Context aware computing for the internet of things: A survey. Communications Surveys and Tutorials. 2014; 16(1):414–54.
- Jagadamba G, Sathish Babu B. Context and trust based adaptive security policy: A Survey. International Journal of Computer Systems. 2016; 3(2).
- Nagaraju S, Parthiban L. SecAuthn: Provably secure multifactor authentication for the cloud computing systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(9):1–18.
- Priya JK, Charles IP, Britto RS. Context-aware architecture for user access control. Context. 2014; 2(3).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.