Total views : 211
Energy Efficient Collection Tree Protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks
Objectives: Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) is a collection of sensor nodes which have limited resources like storage and power. To make the network energy efficient, data fusion becomes essential for reducing the number of transmissions. In this paper, we have implemented a data aggregated collection tree protocol (DA-CTP), an enhanced Collection Tree Protocol (CTP) and we compare its performance with the traditional CTP. Methods/Statistical Analysis: For every set of source nodes, the node at the next level will act as an aggregator to accept the packets from source nodes. The function of the aggregator is twofold. If the data packets sent by the source nodes are redundant, the average will be computed on the received data packets and sent to the destination, besides the received data packets will be merged to a single packet. Thereby minimizing the number of packet transmissions. Findings: Our experimental analysis shows that the DA-CTP consumes less energy than traditional CTP without any performance degradation. Application/Improvements: Betweenness Centrality concept can be introduced to minimize the latency.
CTP (Collection Tree Protocol), Data Aggregation, TelosB Motes, Wireless Sensor Networks.
- Yu Y, Prasanna VK, Krishnamachari B. Information processing and routing in wireless sensor networks. World Scientific Publishing Co. Inc: USA; 2007.
- Maraiya K, Kant K, Gupta N. Architectural based data aggregation techniques in wireless sensor network: A comparative study. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering. 2011 Mar 3; 3(3):1131–8.
- Akyildiz IF, Su W, Subramaniam YS, Cayirci E. Wireless Sensor Networks: A survey. Computer Networks. 2002; 38(4):393–22.
- Akkaya K, Younis M. a survey on routing protocols for wireless sensor networks. Adhoc Networks. 2005 May; 3(3):325–49.
- Pandey V, Kaur A, Chand N. A review on data aggregation techniques in wireless sensor network. Journal of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. 2010, 1(2):1–8.
- Sethi H, Prasad D, Patel R B. EIRDA: An Energy Efficient Interest based Reliable Data Aggregation Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal on Computer Applications. 2011, 22(7):20–25.
- Fasolo E, Rossi M, Widmer J, Zorzi M. In-network Aggregation Techniques for Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey, IEEE Wireless Communications, 2007, 14(2):70–87.
- Sasirekha S, Swamynathan S. A comparative study and analysis of data aggregation techniques in WSN. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26): 1–10. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i26/81713.
- Saranya S, Bharathi N. Hierarchical approach to secure data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 2015 Jul, 8(14):1–6.DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i14/62529.
- Handy MJ, Haase M, Timmermann D. Low energy adaptive clustering hierarchy with deterministic cluster-head selection.4th International Workshop on Mobile and Wireless Communications Network; 2002. p. 368–72.
- Lindsey S, Ragavendra CS. PEGASIS: Power-Efficient Data Gathering Protocol for Sensor Information Systems.Aerospace Conference Proceedings. 2002; 3:1125–30.
- Heinzelmann WR, Kulik J, Balakrishnan H. Adaptive protocols for information dissemination in wireless sensor networks. Fifth ACM/IEEE MOBICOM Conference, Seattle WA, USA; 1999 Aug. p. 174–85.
- Intanagonwiwat C, Govindan R, Estrin D, Heidemann J, Silva F. Directed diffusion for wireless sensor networking. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. 2003; 11(1):2–16.
- Azni AH, Saudi MM, Azman A, Johari AS. Performance analysis of routing protocol for WSN using data centric approach. World Academy of Research; 2009.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.