Total views : 249
Implementation of Low Power Pipelined 64-bit RISC Processor with Unbiased FPU on CPLD
Background/Objective: Now a day’s electronics industry people are concentrating on low power designs. The growing market of portable electronic systems demands microelectronic circuit with ultra low power dissipation. Method: The accomplished operations in this design are logical operations, the arithmetic operations, and branch operations. The outcome values of these operations stored in the registers and they can retrieve from the same when needed. The low power RISC processor with unbiased double precision FPU is designed without any complication, because the power reduction can do in front end technique. Findings: On MAX V CPLD a low power pipelined 64-bit RISC processor is implemented. Arithmetic operations, logical and branch functions of RISC processor are successfully verified with this design. In order to avoid any misbehavior in the jump instructions, the data will flush in the pipeline automatically by the processor architecture. This processor contains FPU unit, which supports double precision IEEE-754 format operations very accurately. Modelsim software is used to verify the simulation results of the design. The ALU operations and double precision floating point arithmetic operation results will be displayed on 7-Segments.
Altera Max V, CPLD, Low power, Modelsim, RISC.
- Patterson DA, Ditzel DR. The case for the reduced instruction set computer. ACM SIGARCH Computer Architecture News. 1980; 8(6):25–33.
- Abraham AE, Sangeetha NR, Monica PR. Canonic signed digit recoding based RISC processor design. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(18). DOI: 10.17485/ ijst/2015/v8i19/76865.
- Begum JT, Naidu SH, Vaishnavi N, Sakana G, Prabhakaran N. Design and Implementation of Reconfigurable ALU for Signal Processing Applications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/ v9i2/86343.
- Sravanthi K, Saikumar A. An FPGA based double precision floating point arithmetic unit using verilog. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2013; 2(10):576–81.
- Gomes SV, Sasipriya P, Bhaaskaran VSK. A low power multiplier using a 24-transistor latch adder. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(18). DOI: 10.17485/ ijst/2015/v8i19/76866.
- Sidheeq A. Four stages pipelined 16 bit RISC on xilinx spartan 3AN FPGA. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2012; 48(6):29–38.
- Bhosle P, Moorthy HK. FPGA implementation of low power pipelined 32-bit RISC processor. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering. 2012; 66–71.
- Kumar JV, Raju BN, Swapna C, Ramanjappa T. Design and implementation of low power pipelined 64-bit RISC processor using FPGA. International Journal of Advanced Research Engineering and Technology. 2014; 61–9.
- Ravindra J, Anuradha T. Design of low power RISC processor by applying clock gating technique, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2012; 2(3):94–9.
- Kumar JV, Raju BN, Babu MV, Ramanjappa T. CPLD based design and implementation of low power pipelined 64-Bit RISC processor. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2015; 5(12):274– 77.
- Kalia K, Bishwajeet P, Teerath D, Hussaian DMA. SSTL based low power thermal efficient WLAN specific 32 bit ALU design on 28 nm FPGA. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(10). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/ v9i10/88080.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.