Total views : 175
Histogram Related Threshold Technique for Region based Automatic Brain Tumor Detection
Background: A tumor is a gathering of tissues that grows in a disordered manner that normalizes growth. Brain tumor detection in MRI, CT, PET scan is most interesting area in the medical image field. The main objective is developing a novel technique i.e., histogram based region related detection of brain tumor. Method: An automatic algorithm for detection of brain tumor and its tumor segmentation using MRI T1 weighted, MRI flair images is presented. The proposed algorithm divides the brain into four regions Top half, bottom half, right-side half and left side half. It utilizes pixel intensity levels obtained from the each region histogram of an image for the segmentation as the result is more useful to analyze the raw image. The mathematical descriptions like statistical parameters of the proposed approach are presented in detail. The proposed algorithm reduces misclassification errors where the minimal dissimilarity within each object by its own cannot guarantee the desirable result and a comparison is made with the existing techniques like entropy and moments thresholding. Findings: Brain tumor is effectively detected and located in the brain by dividing the whole brain image into four regions. After dividing the brain into four halves histogram is applied individual part of the divided region. The histogram is the no of the amount of the pixel intensity. A performance evaluation is also done by checked the results by reference/ground truth MRI images through which sensitivity and accuracy of the proposed algorithm can be determined. The performance measures Sensitivity, Specificity, Accuracy and Similarity index obtained from the proposed method are 91.429%, 86.667%, 90%, 92.754%, respectively. The statistical parameters reveal the algorithm stability and reliability. The results obtained by this algorithm are included in the study and found comparatively better than the results obtained with Entropy and Moments Thresholding techniques. Applications: The proposed histogram based brain tumor detection and analysis efficiently dealt with detection of brain tumor and image classification procedure. Doctors practice the information obtained from the algorithm results to verify the most suitable course of treatment.
Entropy, Histogram, Morphology, Moments, Segmentation.
- Menze B, Reyes M, Van Leemput. The multimodal brain tumor image segmentation. Medical Imaging IEEE Transactions.2015; 34(10):1993–2024.
- Prastawa M, Bullitt E, Ho S, Gerig G. A brain tumor segmentation framework based on outlier detection. Medical Image Analysis. Elsevier. 2004; 8(3):275–83.
- Mustaqeem A, Javed A, Fatima T. An efficient brain tumor detection algorithm using watershed and thresholding based segmentation. IJIGSP. 2012; 4(3):34–9.
- Yadav, Kowar MK, Sourabh. Brain tumor detction and segmentation using histogram thresholding. IJEAT. 2012; 1(4):16–20.
- Forbes F, Doyle S, Dojat M, lorenzo DG, Barillot C. Adaptive weighted fusion of multiple mr sequences for brain lesion segmentation. IEEE International Symposium Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro; 2010 Apr. 69–72.
- Mahalakshmi S, Velmurugan T. Detection of brain tumor by particle swarm optimization using image segmentation.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(22).DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i22/79092.
- El-Dahshan E-SA, Hosny T, Salem A-BM. Hybrid intelligent techniques for MRI brain images classification. Digital Signal Processing. Elsevier. 2010; 20(2):433–41.
- Kinani JMV, Rosales-Silva AJ, Gallegos-Funes FJ, Arellano A. Fuzzy C-means applied to MRI images for an automatic lesion detection using image enhancement and constrained clustering. 4th International Conference on Image Processing Theory, Tools and Applications (IPTA); Paris. 2014 Oct 1-7.
- Naveen A, Velmurugan T. Identification of calcification in MRI brain images by k-Means algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(29). DOI: 10.17485/ ijst/2015/v8i29/83379.
- Sasirekha N, Kashwan KR. Improved segmentation of MRI brain images by denoising and contrast enhancement. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(22).DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i22/73050.
- Kumar EP, Kumar VM, Sumithra MG. Tumour detection in brain mri using improved segmentation algorithm. 4th International IEEE Conference on Computing, Communications and Networking Technologie; Tiruchengode. 2013 Jul 1-7.
- Rajesh T, Malar TSM. Rough set theory and feed forward neural network based brain tumor detection in magnetic resonance images. IEEE International Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials and Emerging Engineering Technologies (ICANMEET); 2013 Jul. p. 240–4.
- Sachin GN, Khairnar V.B Brain tumor detection based on symmetry information. Journal of Engineering Research and Application. 2013; 430–2.
- Chaudhari AK, Kulkarni JV. Local entropy based brain MR image segmentation. IEEE Advance Computing Conference; Gaziabad. 2013 Feb. p. 1229–33.
- Iscan Z, Dokur Z, Ölmez T. Tumor detection by using Zernike moments on segmented magnetic resonance brain images. Expert Systems with Applications. Elsevier. 2010; 37(3):2540–9.
- Shenbagarajan A, Ramalingam V, Balasubramanian C, Palanivel S. Tumor diagnosis in MRI brain image using ACM segmentation and ANN-LM classification techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1).DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/78766.
- Prabhu C, Moorthy SN. An improved method to overcome existing problems in brain tumor segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/71374.
- Baraiya N, Modi H. Comparative study of different methods for brain tumor extraction from MRI images using image processing. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 Jan; 9(4). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i4/85624.
- Padmapriya P, Manikandan K, Jeyanthi K, Renuga V, Sivaraman J. Detection and classification of brain tumor using radial basis function. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 Jan; 9(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/85758.
- John N, Wright C, Nabizadeh N. Histogram based gravitational optimization algorithm on single MR modality for automatic brain lesion dection and segmentation. Expert Systems with Applications. Elsevier. 2014; 41(7):7820–36.
- Saad NM, et al. Segmentation of brain lesions in diffusionweighted MRI using thresholding technique. IEEE Conference on Signal and Image Processing Applications (ICSIPA); Kaula Lampur. 2011 Nov. p. 249–54.
- Dahab DA, Ghoniemy SSA, Selim GM. Automated brain tumor detection and identification using image processing and probabilistic neural network techniques. IJIPVC. 2012; 1(2):1–8.
- Htun Y, Aye K. Fuzzy mathematical morphology approach in image processing. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2008; 42.
- Parameshwarappa V, Nandish S. A segmented morphological approach to detect tumor in brain images. 2014; 4(1).
- 25. Joseph RP, Singh CS, Manikandan M. Brain tumor MRI image segmentation and detection in image processing. IJRET. 2014 Mar; 3(01). eISSN: 2319-1163, pISSN: 23217308.
- Heijmans H. Mathematical morphology: Basic principles.Proc Summer School Morphological Image Signal Process; Zakopane, Poland. 1995 Sep. p. 1–18.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.