Total views : 506
Coupling Measures and its Impact on Object-Oriented Software Quality
Metrics measurement is an important means to access the quality of software systems. Software metrics measurement helps in quick and accurate analysis of software quality. Coupling metrics is a kind of software metrics having a significant impact on several qualities attributes of the object-oriented software. In literature, coupling metrics is used to access the software quality attributes like reliability, efficiency, integrity, maintainability, flexibility, portability, reusability and interoperability, etc. of object-oriented software. However, the threshold values for software coupling measures are still not fully defined. This paper investigates the values of seven coupling metrics and explores the impact of coupling metrics values on different quality attributes of the object-oriented software. The Java source code is analyzed to find coupling between different modules of java code. The coupling values of twenty five Java projects are measured to find behavior of coupling values. Using the resulting coupling values of the twenty five projects, percentage threshold values of seven coupling measures are defined. Also the behavior of coupling metrics is plotted using graph. It is found from the results that the percentage threshold value of parameter coupling is in between 24 to 34. Similarly, the threshold percentage of inheritance coupling is between 3 to 13, global coupling is 0 to 7, data abstraction coupling is 9 to 19, import coupling is 18 to 28, export coupling is 19 to 29 and external coupling is 0 to 5. It means parameter coupling, import and export coupling has higher range of values. Inheritance and data abstraction coupling has a medium range of values and global and external coupling have a least range of values. It is also found that the coupling measures have an impact on various quality attributes of the object-oriented software. If the developer could control the values of few important metrics like parameter, inheritance and data abstraction coupling, it will result in improving the overall quality of object-oriented software. Applications: This work is useful for software professionals to maintain level of coupling while developing software. The data set used in this work is totally new and unique.
Coupling, Impact, Metrics, Object-Oriented, Quality, Software.
- Kayarvizhy N, Kanmani S. Analysis of quality of object oriented systems using object-oriented metrics. 2011 3rd International Conference on Electronics Computer Technology (ICECT); Kanyakumari. 2011 Apr 8-10. p. 203–6.
- de Souza LBL, de Almeida Maia M. Do software categories impact coupling metrics? Proceedings of the Working Conference on Mining Software Repositories; 2013. p. 217–20.
- Oliveira MFS, Redin RM, Carro L, da Cunha Lamb L, Wagner FR. Software quality metrics and their impact on embedded software. 5th International Workshop on Model-based Methodologies for Pervasive and Embedded Software (MOMPES); Budapest. 2008 Apr. p. 68–77.
- Suresh Y, Pati J, Rath SK. Effectiveness of software metrics for object-oriented system. Procedia Technology. 2012; 6:420–7.
- Ahmad IA, Rizvi MAK, Al-Lawati A, Al-Abri D, Awadalla M. Design of a probabilistic based software tool for evaluating controllability, observability and testability models of digital systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Oct; 7(10):1525–37. Doi no: 10.17485/ijst/2014/v7i10/52137.
- Offutt J, Abdurazik A, Schach S. Quantitatively measuring object-oriented couplings. Springer’s Software Quality Journal. 2008 Dec; 16(4):489–517.
- Eder J, Kappel G, Schrefl M. Coupling and cohesion in object-oriented systems. Technical Report. University of Klagenfurt; 1994.
- Li H. A novel coupling metric for object – Oriented software systems. IEEE International Symposium on 2011 Knowledge Acquisition and Modeling Workshop; Wuhan. 2008 Dec 21-22. p. 609–12.
- Husein S, Oxley A. A coupling and cohesion metrics suite for object-oriented software. International Conference on Computer Technology and Development; Kota Kinabalu. 2009 Nov 13-15. p. 421–5.
- Huang R, Li M, Li Z. Research of improving the quality of the object-oriented system. International Journal of Information and Education Technology. 2013 Aug; 3(4):433–6.
- Kaur J, Singh S. Neural network based refactoring area identification in software system with object oriented metrics. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(10):1–8. Doi no: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i10/85110.
- Briand LC, Daly JW, Wust JK. A unified framework for coupling measurement in object-oriented systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. 1999 Jan-Feb; 25(1):91–121.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.