Total views : 315
CFD Analysis of Thermal Performance in Isosceles Right Triangle Rib Roughness on the Absorber Plate Solar Air Heater
Objective: This paper provides analytical investigation of flow and roughness parameters on average heat transfer and flow friction characteristics of an artificial roughness solar air heater having isosceles right triangle ribs on the absorber plate. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Artificial roughness having isosceles right triangle geometry is developed for breaking laminar sub-layer. In CFD simulation different parameter like Reynolds no-3593 to 15000, duct aspect ratio=5:1, relative roughness pitch (P/e) i.e. 3.33-40(12 values) and relative roughness height (e/D) i.e. 0.015-0.045(3 values) taken. Findings: In all cases the average Nusselt number tends to increase as Reynolds number increases. The average friction factor has been found to be 3.45 times over the smooth duct. It has been observed that the average friction factor tends to decrease as the Reynolds number increases. Increment in Thermal performance obtained for Maximum thermohydraulic performance is obtained for relative roughness pitch of 5 and relative roughness height 0.045. Applications/ Improvements: The applications of solar air heaters are space heating and drying. Recent time solar air heater is very important in rolling agriculture purpose, heating and cooling of the room and industrial applications.
CFD, Heat Transfer, Isosceles Right Triangle Rib, Thermo-hydraulic Performance Parameter.
- Prasad K, Mullick SC. Heat transfer characteristics of a solar air heater used for drying purposes. Applied Energy. 1983; 13(2):83–93.
- Gupta D, Solanki SC, Saini JS. Heat and fluid flow in rectangular solar air heater ducts having transverse rib roughness on absorber plates. Solar Energy. 1993; 51(1):31–7.
- Saini RP, Saini JS. Heat transfer and friction factor correlations for artificially roughened ducts with expanded metal mesh as roughened element. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 1997; 40:973–86.
- Karwa R, Solanki SC, Saini JS. Heat transfer coefficient and friction factor correlations for the transitional flow regime in rib-roughened rectangular ducts. International Journal of Heat Mass transfer. 1999; 26,1597–615.
- Verma SK, Prasad BN. Investigation for the optimal thermohydraulic performance of artificially roughened solar air heaters. Renewable Energy. 2000; 20:19–36.
- Sahu MM, Bhagoria JL. Augumentation of heat transfer coefficient by using 90° broken transverse ribs on absorber plate of solar air heater, Renewable energy. 2005; 30:2057–63.
- Layek A, Saini JS, Solanki SC. Heat transfer and friction characteristics of artificially roughened ducts with compound turbulators. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2007; 50, 4845–54.
- Karmare SV, Tikekar AN. Heat transfer and friction factor correlation for artificially roughened ducts with metal grit ribs, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2009; 50:4342–51.
- Saini RP, Verma J. Heat transfer and friction factor correlations for a duct having dimple- shaped artificial roughness for solar air heaters. Energy. 2008; 33:1277–87.
- Aharwal KR, Gandhi BK, Saini JS. Heat transfer and friction characteristics of solar air heater ducts having integral inclined discrete ribs grits on absorber plate. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2009; 52:2834–48.
- Hans VS, Saini RP, Sain JS. Heat transfer and friction factor correlations for a solar air heater duct roughened artificially with multiple v-ribs. Solar Energy. 2010; 84:898–911.
- Lanjewar A, Bhagoria JL, Sarviya RM. Heat transfer and friction in solar air heater duct with W-shaped rib roughness on absorber plate. Energy. 2011; 36:6651–60.
- Paswan MK, Sharma SP. Thermal performance of wire-mesh roughened solar air heaters. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. 2009; 1:31–40.
- Rohit AK, lanjewar A. Thermo-hydraulic performance evaluation using w-discrete rib in solar air heater. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(17). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i17/89056.
- Bhagoria JL, Saini JS, Solanki SC. Heat transfer coefficient and friction factor correlations for rectangular solar air heater duct having transverse wedge shaped rib roughness on the absorber plate. Renewable Energy. 2002; 25:341–69.
- Lalji MK, Sarviya RM, Bhagoria JL. Heat transfer enhancement in packed bed solar air heater. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jul; 4(7). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2011/v4i7/30104.
- Velmurugan P, Ramesh P. Evaluation of thermal performance of wire mesh solar air heater. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jan; 4(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2011/v4i1/29923.
- Yadav AS, Bhagoria JL. A CFD based heat transfer and fluid flow analysis of a solar air heater provided with circular transverse wire rib roughness on the absorber plate. Energy. 2013; 55:1127–42.
- Yadav AS, Bhagoria JL. Numerical investigation of flow through an artificially roughened solar air heater. International Journal of Ambient Energy. 2013.
- Yadav AS, Bhagoria JL. A CFD based thermo –hydraulic performance analysis of an artificially roughened solar air heater having equilateral triangular sectioned rib roughness on the absorber plate. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2013; 70:1016–39.
- McAdams WH. Heat transmission. New York, McGraw-Hill; 1942.
- Fox W, Pritchard P, Mc Donald A. Introduction to fluid mechanics. New York, John Wiley and Sons; 2010. p. 754.
- Chaube A, Sahoo PK, Solanki SC. Analysis of heat transfer augmentation and flow characteristics due to rib roughness over absorber plate of a solar air heater. Renewable Energy. 2006; 31:317–31.
- Kumar S, Saini RP. CFD based performance analysis of a solar air heater duct provided with artificial roughness, Renewable Energy. 2009; 34:1285–91.
- Karmare SV, Tikekar AN. Analysis of fluid flow and heat transfer in a rib grit roughened surface solar air heater using CFD. Solar Energy. 2010; 84:409–17.
- Sharma AK, Thakur NS. CFD based fluid flow and heat transfer analysis of a v-shaped roughened surface solar air heater. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2012; 4(5):2115–21.
- ASHRAE Standard 93-2003. Method of testing to determine the thermal performance of solar collector; 2003.
- Webb RL, Eckert ERG. Application of rough surface to heat exchanger design. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 1972; 15:1647–58.
- ANSYS FLUENT. SAS analytical products 14.5. Documentation. ANSYS, Inc : USA ; 2003–4.
- Launder BE, Splading DB. Lectures in mathematical models of turbulence. Academic Press, London: UK; 1972.
- Prasad BN. Thermal performance of artificially roughened solar air heaters. Solar Energy. 2013; 91:59–67.
- Prasad BN, Saini JS. Effect of artificial roughness on heat transfer and friction factor in a solar air heater. Solar Energy. 1988; 41(6):555–60.
- Varun A, Patnaik, Saini RP, Singal SK, Siddartha. Performance prediction of solar air heater having roughened duct Provided with transverse and inclined ribs as artificial roughness. Renewable Energy. 2009; 34:2914–22.
- Karwa R, Chitoshiya G. Performance study of solar air heater having v-down discrete ribs on absorber plate. Energy. 2013; 55:939–55.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.