Total views : 283
Analysing the Effect of Posture Mobility and Sink Node Placement on the Performance of Routing Protocols in WBAN.
Objective: Wireless Body area network is a combination of sensor nodes which communicate with each other through wireless link. Sensor nodes sense the data and sent to sink node. Sink node process the data received by the sensor nodes and send to the medical official. It aims at finding an optimal position of the sink in human body to place that gives better network lifetime, stability period and throughout. Methods/Analysis: Various routing protocols are developed for Wireless Body Area Network (WBAN). In these networks routing protocols plays an important role together with position of sink node. In this paper two routing protocols Adaptive Threshold-based Thermal-aware Energy-efficient Multi-hop ProTocol (ATTEMPT) and SIMPLE routing protocols are analyzed with different body posture mobility (arm, head, and leg) and different sink position. ATTEMPT protocol considers the body posture mobility factor when designing but SIMPLE protocol is not mobility aware. Findings: The protocol performs better when the sink node is placed at the center of the human body with no body posture mobility but the packet drop is high. When the sink node is placed at different body part which has the posture mobility and when position of the sink node is fixed at the center of the human body, there is more effect on the performance of SIMPLE protocol than ATTEMPT protocol. But overall the network lifetime and stability period is high in case of SIMPLE protocol than ATTEMPT protocol. Order of variation in body parts movement is ARM>Leg>Head. Applications/Improvements: This paper shows that the variation in the placement of a sink node within a WBAN with body posture movement could significantly vary the overall performance of the routing protocols. This motivated the researchers to work on an effective node placement strategy for a sink node, within a WBAN with the consideration for body posture mobility.
Posture Mobility, Sink Node Placement Algorithms, Wireless Body Area Network (WBAN).
- Faculteit Wetenschappen. Reliable and Energy Efficient Protocols for Wireless Body Area Network, University, Antwepen, 2011.
- Benoıˆt Latre´, Bart Braem, Ingrid Moerman, Chris Blondia, Piet Demeester. A survey on wireless body area networks. Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, 2010.
- Vidhya J, Dananjayan P, Lifetime Maximisation of multihop WSN using cluster based cooperative MIMO scheme. International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering. 2010 Feb; 2(1).
- Younis O, Fahmy S. Heed: a hybrid, energy-efficient distributed clustering approach for ad hoc sensor networks. Mobile Computing, IEEE Transactions. 2004; 3(4):366-79.
- Bart Braem, Benoˆıt Latr´e, Ingrid Moerman, Chris Blondia. The Need for Cooperation and Relaying in Short- Range High Path Loss Sensor Networks. International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications. 2007; 566-71.
- Mainwaring A, Culler D, Polastre J, Szewczyk R, Anderson J. Wireless sensor networks for habitat monitoring. In: Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, ACM, 2002, p. 88-97.
- Omar Almomani, Mahmoud Al-Shugran, Jafar A. Alzubi, Omar A. Alzubi. Performance Evaluation of Position-based Routing Protocols using Different Mobility Models in MANET. International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887). 2015 Jun; 119(3).
- Sudhakar Pandey1, Naresh Kumar Nagwani, Chandan Kumar. Cluster based - SPIN Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensors Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(15). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i15/49800, ISSN (Print): 0974-6846, ISSN (Online): 0974-5645
- Sumathi K, Suresh Kumar K, Sathiyapriya T, Kiruthika Gowri D. An Investigation on the Impact of Weather Modelling on Various MANET Routing Protocols. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(15). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i15/59557.
- Jagadeesan D, Narayanan S, Asha G. Efficient Load Sharing using Multipath Channel Awareness Routing in Mobile Ad hoc Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(15). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i15/67729, ISSN (Print): 0974-6846, ISSN (Online): 0974-5645
- Javaid N, Abbas Z, Farid MS, Khan ZA, Alrajeh N. M-ATTEMPT: A new energy-efficient routing protocol for wireless body area sensor networks. In: The 4th International Conference, ANT, 2013, p. 224-31.
- Nadeem Q, Javaid N, Mohammad SN, Khan MY, Sarfraz S, Gull M. SIMPLE: Stable Increased-Throughput Multi-hop Protocol for Link a Efficiency in Wireless Body Area Networks. Published in Broadband and Wireless Computing, Communication and Applications (BWCCA), 2013, Eighth International Conference on, 28-30 Oct. 2013, p. 221-26.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.