Total views : 431
Fundus Image Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy
The proposed system aims in diagnosing Diabetic Retinopathy (DR), a snag in patients with Diabetes for prolonged periods. MinIMaS algorithm is primarily used for background Extraction and Gaussian Mixture Model (GMM) is used for grouping of lesions. The amount of false positives are minimized by the selection of feature vectors used for classification. The proposed system achieves sensitivity of 89% for grouping of bright lesion and sensitivity of 82% for classifying bright lesion which when compared to existing system (KNN classifier) gives a higher sensitivity value. Similarly MinIMaS algorithm provides 91% accurate results when compared to the existing Haar based wavelet transform (70%) and Highest Average Variation (65%). System aids in detecting severity of Diabetic Retinopthy with improved accuracy for timely treatment of patients.
Diabetic Retinopathy, Fundus, Lesion, Screening.
- Kauppi T. Eye fundus image analysis for automatic detection of Diabetic Retinopathy. Lappeenranta, Finland: Lappeenranta University of Technology; 2010.
- Walter T, Klein JC, Massin P, Erginay A. A contribution of image processing to the diagnosis of Diabetic Retinopathy - Detection of exudates in color fundus images of the human retina. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2002; 21(10):1236–43.
- Ram K, Joshi GD, Sivasami J. A successive clutter-rejection based approach for early detection of Diabetic Retinopathy. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2011 Mar; 58(3):664–73.
- Aghamohamadian-Sharbaf M, Pourreza HR, Banaee T. A novel curvature based algorithm for automatic grading of retinal blood vessel tortuosity. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. 2015; 20(2):586–95.
- Dhanushkodi SSR, Manivannan V. Diagnosis system for Diabetic Retinopathy to prevent vision loss. Applied Medical Informatics. 2013; 33(3):1–11.
- Roychowdhury S, Koozekanani DD, Parhi KK. Dream: Diabetic Retinopathy analysis using machine learning. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. 2014; 18(5):1717–28.
- Database of Retinal Images for Diabetic Retinopathy. 2015. Available from: http://www.it.lut.fi/project/imageret/diaretdb1/
- Methods to Evaluate Segmentation and indexing techniques in the field of retinal ophtalmology. 2015. Available from: http://www.adcis.net/en/Download-Third Party/Messidor.html
- Roychowdhury S, Koozekanani DD, Parhi KK. Screening fundus images for Diabetic Retinopathy. 2012 Proc Conference Record 46th Asilomar Conference Signals, Systems, Computers; 2012. p. 1641–5.
- Coye TL. A novel retinal blood vessel segmentation algorithm for fundus images. 2015. Available from: https://fr.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/50839-a-novel-retinal-bloodvessel-segmentation- algorithm-for-fundus-images
- Frame AJ, Undrill PE, Cree M, Olson J, McHardy K, Sharp P, Forrester J. A comparison of computer based classification methods applied to the detection of microaneurysms in ophthalmic fluoresce in angiograms. Computers in Biology Medicine. 1998; 28(3):225–38.
- Niemeijer M, van Ginneken B, Staal J, Suttorp-Schulten MSA, Abramoff MD. Automatic detection of red lesions in digital color fundus photographs. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2005; 24(5):584–92.
- Sopharak A, Uyyanonvara B, Barman S, Williamson TH. Automatic detection of Diabetic Retinopathy exudates from non-dilated retinal images using mathematical morphology methods. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics. 2008; 32(8):720–7.
- Reshma Chand CP, Dheeba J. Automatic detection of exudates in color fundus retinopathy images. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i26/81049.
- Shivaram JM, Patil R, Aravind HS. Automated detection and quantification of haemorrhages in Diabetic Retinopathy images using image arithmetic and mathematical morphology methods. International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering. 2009; 2(6):174–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.