Total views : 352
Multipoint Search Algorithm for Automatic Segmentation of Tooth from Digital Intra Oral Periapical Radiographs
Objectives: In the present study digitally recorded Intra Oral Periapical radiographs (IOPA) are investigated. Methods/Analysis: This paper presents an innovative algorithm for automatic segmentation of the digital IOPA radiograph in one or more qualified regions of interest. Segmentation of IOPA is done repetitively till all teeth in the image are extracted. These segmented images resulting from this algorithm will now have one tooth in one image. Findings: A radiograph with exactly one tooth in image is extremely useful for further study and analysis of individual tooth in many and diverse applications of computer assistance in processing of dental radiographs. The segmentation algorithm proposed in this paper, necessarily being a spatial segmentation method, separates regions of interest without any loss or alterations in the data. The algorithm works successfully on 76 digital IOPA radiographs out of 80 images in test data. Novelty/Improvements: The algorithm proposed in the paper is fully automatic and does not require any human intervention. The segmentation algorithm proposed separates one tooth with its perimeter region intact in one image. The number of output images generated are equal to number of teeth in input IOPA.
Intraoral periapical radiograph, Vertical integral projection, Image segmentation, Image processing.
- Abdel-Mottaleb M, Nomir O, Nassar DE, Fahmy G, Ammatr HH. Challenges of developing an automated dental identification system. 2003 IEEE 46th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Cairo; 2003 Dec 30. p. 411–14.
- Nomir O, Abdel-Mottaleb M. A system for human identification from X-ray dental radiographs. Pattern Recognition, 2005; 38:1295–305.
- Oprea S, Marinescu C, Lita I, Jurianu M, Visan DA, Cioc IB. Image processing techniques used for dental x-ray image analysis. 2008 31st International Spring Seminar on Electronics Technology, Budapest; 2008 May 7–11. p. 125–29.
- Sela EI, Hartati S, Harjokon A, Wardoyo R, Munakhir MS. Segmentation on the dental periapical x-ray images for osteoporosis screening. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications. 2013; 4(7):147–51.
- Said EH, Nassar DEM, Fahmy G, Ammar HH. Teeth segmentation in digitized dental x-ray films using mathematical morphology. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security. 2006 Jun; 1(2):178–89.
- Al-Sherif N, Guo G, Ammar HH. A new approach to teeth segmentation. 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM), Irvine: CA; 2012 Dec 10–12. p. 145–48.
- Jain AK, Chen H. Matching of dental X-ray images for human identification. Pattern Recognition. 2004; 37:1519–32.
- Zhou J, Abdel-Mottaleb M. A content-based system for human identification based on bitewing dental X-ray images. Pattern Recognition. 2005 Nov; 38:2132–42.
- BalaSubramanyam R, Prasad KP, Anuradha B. Different image segmentation techniques for dental image extraction. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2014 Jul; 4(7):173–77.
- Sujatha P, Sudha KK. Performance analysis of different edge detection techniques for image segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(14):1–6. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i14/72946.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.