Total views : 298
Study and Validation of a PEM Fuel Cell Complex Impedance Measurement System
Objectives: The objective of this work is the study and validation of the complex impedance measurement system for the PEM fuel cell using STM32F4 microcontroller. We present the technical method for measuring the PEM fuel cell complex impedance using this system. Methods: Among the problems of fuel cells development is still the reliability of their performances over time. The solution of this problem is the implementation of an efficient diagnostic method such as the complex impedance measurement of the cells in order to diagnose it in real time using the Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy method (EIS) which is used to diagnose complex electrochemical systems. Findings: To run the complex impedance measurement, it is necessary to use specific software and hardware tools for fuel cells. In this context, we presented the steps of implementation of the system for the measurement of the PEM fuel cell complex impedance. This test bench is realized around the Nexa Ballard PEM fuel cell, an electronic load and a measuring board based on the microcontroller STM32F4 connected to a computer collecting data processed by measurement application developed using LabVIEW® software. The obtained results validate the design of this measuring system. The contribution through the results in this work will be to obtain onboard diagnostic for a PEM fuel cell in the automotive transport field. Application: This system is so small that it can be implemented in an embedded system; it is less expensive than the industrial system for measuring the PEM fuel cell complex impedance.
Complex Impedance Measurement, LabVIEW® Applications, PEM Fuel Cell, Real Time Diagnose, STM32F4 Microcontroller.
- Oman H. Fuel cells personal electricity. IEEE AES Systems Magazine. 2000 Sep; 15(9):43-5.
- 2013 Fuel Cell Technologies Market Report: Fuel Cell Technologies Office. U.S. Departement of Energy; 2014 Nov. p. 1–72.
- Litster S, McLean G. PEM fuel cell electrodes. Journal of Power Sources. 2004; 130(1–2):61–76.
- Boillot M. Experimental validation of modeling tools of a PEM fuel cell. Thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine, France; 2005.
- Thomas AT. Water and heat transfer in a membrane fuel cell: Experimental demonstration of coupling and analysis of mechanisms. Thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine, France; 2012.
- Laffly E, Pera MC, Hissel D. Polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell modeling and parameters estimation for ageing consideration. IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 2007; 2007. p. 180–5.
- Exposito IV. Interface and operation control of fuel cells for stationary and transportation applications. Thesis, University Joseph Fourrier; 2001.
- Büchi FN, Srinivasan S. Operating protons exchange membrane fuel cells without external humidification of the reactant gases. Journal of Electrochemical Society. 1997 Aug; 144(8):2767–72.
- Wagner N, Gülzow E. Change of Electrochemical Impedance Spectra (EIS) with time during CO-poisoning of the Pt-anode in a membrane fuel cell. Journal of Power Sources Eighth Ulmer Electrochemische Tage. 2004 Mar; 127(1-2):341–7.
- Rallieres O. Modeling and characterization of PEM Fuel Cells and electrolysers. Thesis. University of Toulouse. France; 2011.
- Guvelioglu GH, Stenger HG. Computational fluid dynamics modeling of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources. 2005 Sep; 147 (1–2):95–106.
- Benchouia N, Hadjadj AE, Derghal A, Khochemane L, Mahmah B. Modeling and validation of fuel cell PEMFC. Revue des Energies Renouvelables. 2013; 16(2):365–77.
- Wang C, Nehrir M, Shaw S. Dynamic models and model validation for PEM fuel cells using electrical circuits. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 2005 Jun; 20(2):442–51.
- Nexa power module user’s manuel. Ballard Power Systems; 2003. p. 1–114.
- Cooper KR, Smith M. Electrical test methods for on-line fuel cell ohmic resistance measurement. Journal of Power Sources. 2006; 160(2):1088–95.
- Deseure J, Thivel PX, Marchesiello M. Methods for characterization of a fuel cell. Université Joseph Fourrier de GRENOBLE CNRS. Publication Notes, France; 2008.
- Walkiewicz S. Impedance spectroscopy study of fuel cell proton exchange membrane. DEA, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, France; 2001.
- Aglzim EH, Rouane A, El-Moznine R. An electronic measurement instrumentation of the impedance of a loaded fuel cell or battery. Sensors; 2007.
- Merida W, Harrington D, Mclean GF, Djilali N. Hardware development for impedance spectroscopy on a 4-cell PEMFC Stack Under load. Proceedings of the XIV Canadian Hydrogen Conference, Canada; 2002. p. 1–9.
- Raposa G. Performing AC impedance measurements on fuel cells. Fuel Cell Magazine - Agilent Technologies; 2003.
- Friede W. Modeling and characterization of a PEM Fuel cell. Thesis. Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine, France; 2003.
- Comparison of fuel cell electrolyte, resistance measurement techniques. The Magazine of Fuel Cell Business and Technology; 2005 Apr/May.
- Gabrielli C. Impedance measurements. Techniques de l’Ingénieur ; 1994 Apr 10. p. PE2210–11, 20.
- Sadli. Modeling impedance of a PEM fuel cell for use in power electronics. Thesis. Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine. France; 2006.
- Bouaicha A, Allegui H, Rouane A, Aglzim EH, Mami A. Design and realization of an electronic load for a pem fuel cell, world academy of science, engineering and technology. International Journal of Electrical, Electronic Science and Engineering. 2014 Jan; 8(1):202–7.
- Bouaicha A, Allegui H, Mami A, Rouane A. Study of an electronic load for measuring the internal impedance of a PEM fuel cell. 10th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals and Devices: SSD’13, Tunisia; 2013 Mar.
- NI-9205 analog input module user’s manuel national instruments [Internet]. [cited 2016 Mar 13]. Available from: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/208800.
- Bouaicha A, Allegui H, Rouane A, Aglzim EH, Mami A. Design and development of a labview application for the measurement of the complex impedance of a fuel cell in real time. International Conference on Control, Engineering and Information Technology (CEIT’14) Proceedings - Copyright IPCO-2014. Tunisia; 2014 Mar. p. 103–8.
- Zhu WH, Payne RU, Tatarchuk BJ. Equivalent circuit elements for PSpice simulation of PEM stacks at pulse load. Journal of Power Sources. 2008; 178:197–206.
- Yuan XZ, Song C, Wang H, Zhang J. Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy in PEM fuel cells. Fundamentals and Applications; 2009.
- Pérez-Page M, Pérez-Herranz V. Study of the electrochemical behavior of a 300 W PEM fuel cell stack by Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2014 Mar; 39:4009–15.
- Allagui H, Mzoughi D, Bouaicha A, Mami A. Modeling and simulation of 1.2 kW Nexa PEM fuel cell system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(9):1–8. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i9/85299.
- Mirzaie RA, Hamedi F. Investigating a new electrocatalyst for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells and the effect of carbon additives in the reaction layer. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jun; 8(11);1–11. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i11/71799.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.