Total views : 242
Analytical Review on MLI based Active Power Filter to Reduce Harmonics for Improvement in Power Quality
Background: Poor power quality is serious problem in power system. The introduction of harmonics in power system makes its quality poor. This paper describes the analytical study of different topologies of Multi Level Inverter, switching techniques used for MLI, different Active Power Filters and their control strategies for compensating the harmonics. Method: Multi Level Inverter based shunt Active Power Filter has been used to reduce the amount of harmonics which enhances the power quality in distributed power system. Findings: Conventional inverters produce more harmonics in power system which can be reduced with the use of active power filters. Multi Level Inverter (MLI) in conjunction with Pulse Width Modulation reduces the harmonic contents and achieves sinusoidal signals without add-on circuitry. The output voltage provided by MLIs has small voltage steps, which results in good power quality and low harmonic components. The system is simulated using MATLAB/SIMULINK platform. Improvements: Line current distortion caused by the nonlinear loads and power electronic devices can be efficiently neutralized by shunt Active Power Filter both in transient and distortion voltage conditions.
Active Power Filter, Multi Level Inverter, Power Quality, Pulse Width Modulation (PWM).
- Waware M, Agarwal P. Comparison of control strategies for Multi Level Inverter based Active Power Filter used in high voltage systems. IEEE 2010 Joint International Conference on Power Electronics Drives and Energy Systems (PEDES); New Delhi. 2010 Dec 20-23. p. 1–6.
- Homero M, Victor C, Jorge P. A hybrid Multi Level Inverter for shunt Active Filter using space-vector control. 2004 35th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference; Aachen, Germany. 2004 Jun 20-25. p. 3541–6.
- Reddy DM, Gowrimanohar T. Optimal hybrid modulation scheme for 11-level CMC based DSTATCOM for power quality improvement. 2nd International Conference on Current Trends in Engineering and Technology, ICCTET’14; Coimbatore. 2014. p. 296–303.
- Ramesh Babu S. Comparative analysis of cascaded Multi Level Inverter for phase disposition and phase shift carrier PWM for different load. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S7):251–62.
- Massoud AM, Finney SJ, Cruden AJ, Williams BW. Three-phase, three-wire, five-level cascaded shunt Active Filter for power conditioning using two different space vector modulation techniques. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 2007 Oct; 22(4):2349–61.
- Karuppanan P, Mahapatra KK. Cascaded Multi Level Inverter based Active Filter for power line conditioners using instantaneous real-power theory. IEEE India International Conference on Power Electronics; New Delhi. 2011.
- Parthasarathy S, Karthickkumar SA, Rahini S. Enhancement of output voltage quality of Multi Level Inverter using Series Active Filter. IEEE 2015 International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies [ICCPCT]; Nagercoil. 2015. p. 1–9.
- Waware M, Agarwal P. Performance investigation of Multi Level Inverter based Active Power Filter in distorted high voltage supply system. 2010 IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (ICSET); Kandy. 2010 Dec 6-9. p. 1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.