Total views : 159
Potency of Sandfish (Holothuria scabra) Powder to Increase Sperm Quality and Sperm Quantity in Mice (Musmusculus)
Objectives: This research is aimed to examine the effect of sandfish powder on the spermatozoa quality and genital weights of male mice. Methods/Analysis: In this study, laboratory experimental method was applied. Male mice were treated by giving sandfish powder in three dosage rates of its steroid content (10, 30, and 50μg of steroid/100g body weight) in 12 days. Whereas for control treatments as well as for comparison, the author utilizes some mature male mice without given any hormone (negative control) and some mature male mice that given methyl testosterone. Findings: The authors examined the quality of spermatozoa (concentration, normality, and motility of spermatozoa) and genital weight (testis and seminal vesicle weight) of each male mouse. It was discovered that administration of sandfish powder did not significantly affect its genital weights as well as normality and motility of the spermatozoa. However, it could increase the concentration of spermatozoa in administration of 10μg of steroid/100g body weight. Application/Improvements: The potential of sandfish powder as drug to enhance the quality of the male reproduction.
Drug on Pharmacy, Men, Quality and Quantity of Sperm, Sandfish Powder, Steroid Hormone
- Dance SK, Lane I, Bell JD. Variation in short-term survival of cultured sandfish (Holothuriascabra) released in mangrove-seagrass and coral reef flat habitats in Solomon Islands.Aquaculture. 2003 Apr; 220:495–505. CrossRef.
- Haug T, Kjuul AK, Styrvold OB, Sandsdalen E, Olsen OM, Stensvag K. Antibacterial Activity in Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis (Echinoidea), Cucumaria frondosa (Holothuroidea), and Asteriasrubens (Asteroidea). Journal of Invertebrate Pathology. 2002 Oct; 81:94–102. CrossRef.
- Murray AP, Muniain C, Seldes AM, Maier M. Patagonicoside A: A novel antifungal disulfated triterpene glycoside from the Sandfish Psolus patagonicus. Tetrahedron. 2001 Oct; 57:9563–8. CrossRef.
- Guo SY, Guo Z, Guo Q, Chen BY, Wang XC. Expression, purification and characterization of arginine kinase from the sandfish stichopus japonicus. Protein Expression and Purification. 2003 Jun; 29:230–4. CrossRef. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1046-5928(03)00013-5
- Cardona PGS, Berrios CA, Ramirez F, Arrarás JEG.Lipopolysaccharides induce intestinal serum amyloid A expression in the Sandfish Holothuria glaberrima. Development and Comparative Immunology. 2003 Mar; 27:105–10. CrossRef.
- Moraes G, Norchote PC, Kalinin VI, Avilov SA, Silchenko A, Dmitrenok PS, Stonik VA, Levin V. Structure of the major triterpene glycoside from the sandfish Stichopus malls and evidence to reclassify this species into the new genusAustralostichopus. Biochemical Systematic and Ecology. 2004 Jul; 32:637–50. CrossRef.
- Kariya Y, Mulloy B, lmai K, Tominaga A, Kaneko T, Asari A, Suzuki K, Masuda H, Kyosashima M, lshii T. Isolation and partial characterization of fucan sulfates from the body wall of sandfish Stichopusjaponicus and their ability to inhibit osteoclastogenesis. Carbohydrate Research. 2004 May; 339:1339–46. CrossRef.
- Riani E, Syamsu K, Kaseno. Use of steroid as natural aphrodisiac in human. Report of Graduate Research Grant. Bogor: Bogor Agricultural University; 2005. [In Indonesian]
- Riani E, Gumbira-Said E, Syamsu K, Kustiariyah, Kaseno, Cordova MR. The potency of sandfish (Holothuria scraba) as a source of natural aphrodisiacs. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (WASET). 2013 May; 77:1684–92.
- Riani E, Sudrajat AO, Triajie H. Effectiveness of sandfish extract that has been formulated to prawn masculinize.Bionatura. 2010 Nov; 12(3):145–54 (in Indonesia).
- Riani E, Nurjanah S, Gumbira-Said E, Syamsu K, Kaseno, Cordova MR. 2014. Potency of sandfish (Holothuriascraba) flesh powder to improve reproduction quality of man. Proceedings International Conference on Biotechnology and Agriculture Engineering di Tokyo, World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology (WASET). Japan; 2014 May 29–30. p.1740–3.
- Nurjanah S, Gumbira-Said E, Syamsu K, Suprihatin, Riani E. Effect of sandfish (Holothuria scraba) powder on the sexual behavior and the blood testosterone level of the male mice (Mus musculus). Bandung Medical Journal. 2009 Sep; 41(3):135–41. (in Indonesia).
- Nainggolan O, Simanjuntak JW. The effect of ethanol extract of pasakbumi (Eurycoma longifolia Jack) on behavior sexual in white mice. Cermin Dunia Kedokteran. 2005 May; 146:55–7. (in Indonesia).
- McDonald GW. Veterinary endocrinology and reproduction. Lea and Febiger: Philadelphia; 1989.
- Weinbauer GF, Nieschlag E. Hormonal control of spermatogenesis. In: Molecular biology of the male reproductive system. Kretser D, editor. Academic Press, Inc: San Diego; 1993. p. 99–142. CrossRef.
- Barrat CLR. Spermatogenesis. In: Gametes and Spermatozoon. Grudzinskas JG, Yovich JL, editors. Cambrige Univ Press: New York-USA; 1995. p. 250–67.
- Yong-Ju P, Gi-Su S, Byeong-Hoon K, Seung-Hyeon L, Se-Jae K, Takemura A, Young-Don L. Effect of photoperiod on gonadotropin (FSHβ and LHβ) regulation in the damselfish, Chromisnotata. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Aug; 4(S8):1.
- Fischer KA, Leyen KV, Lovercamp KW, Manandhar G, Sutovsky M, Feng D, Safranski T, Sutovsky P.
- -Lipoxygenase is a component of the mamalia sperm cytoplasmic droplet. Reproduction. 2005 Aug; 130:213–22.CrossRef.
- Barth AD, Oko RJ. Abnormal morphology of bovine spermatozoa. Iowa State University Press L: Iowa-USA; 1989.
- Linhart O, Alavi SMH, Psenicka M, Rodina M, Kaspar V, Li P, Hulak M, Boryshpolets S, Dzyuba B, Gela D, Flajshans M, Peknicova J, Cosson J, Ciereszko A. Spermatozoa of chondrostean fish species: Structure, motility and fertilzingability.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Aug; 4(S8):1–2.
- Curry MR, Watson PF. Sperm structure and function. In: Gametes and spermatozoon grudzinskas. Gedomines J, Yovich JL, editors. Cambrige Univ Press: New York-USA; 1995. p. 81–103.
- Turner RM. Tales from the tail: What do we really know about sperm motility? Journal of Andrology. 2003 Dec; 24(6):790–803.CrossRef.
- Toelihere M. Reproduction physiology at livestock. Angkasa Press. Bandung, Indonesia; 1981 (in Indonesia).
- Turner CD, Bagnara JT. General endocrinology. WB Saunders Company: Philadelphia-USA; 1976.
- Reeves JJ. Endocrinology of reproduction In: Reproduction in farm animals. Hafez ESE, editor. Lea and Febiger: Philadelphia-USA;1987. p. 85–106.
- Jainudeen MR, Hafez ESE. Sheep and goats. In: Reproduction in farm animals. Hafez ESE , editor. Lea and Febiger: Philadelphia; 1987. p. 213–36.
- Hidayat SS. Correlation of body weight, scrotum volume and scrotum diameter to ejaculation volume and spermatozoa concentration by applying ejaculator and artificial vagina in local sheep. Maters Thesis. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Bogor Agricultural University. Bogor; 2002. (In Indonesian).
- Sufi IM. Correlation of body weight and testis volume to spermatozoa concentration in Saanen goat. Maters Thesis.Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Bogor Agricultural University. Bogor; 2003. (In Indonesian).
- Roy IL, Tordjman S, Samour DM, Degrelle H, Roubertoux PL. Genetic architecture of testis and seminal vesicle weights in mice. Genetics. 2001 May; 158:333–40.
- Fielden MR, Halgren RG, Fong CJ, Staub C, Johnson L, Cho K, Zacharewski TR. Gestational and lactational exposure of male mice to diethylstilbestrol causes long-term effects on the testis, sperm fertilizing ability in vitro, and testicular gene expression. Endocrinology. 2002 Aug; 143(8):3044– 59. CrossRef.
- Jequier AM. Clinical disorder affecting semen quality. In: Gametes and the spermatozoon. Grudzinskas JG, Yovich JL, editors. Cambridge University Press: New York-USA; 1995. p. 175–91.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.