Total views : 1142
Bonding of Bulk Fill versus Contemporary Resin Composites: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
Objectives: A systematic review was conducted to compare bulk fill resin composites with other contemporary composites when bonded to deep dentin cavities. Methodology: The systematic search was attained in seven electronic databases and the study's selection process was performed to meet the pre-set eligibility criteria. Five studies evaluating the microtensile bond strength (μTBSt) of bulk fill versus contemporary resin composites to cavity dentin were eligible to be included in the review, only four of them were assigned for the quantitative analysis. Data were extracted, tabulated, quality assessed and statistically analyzed using Comprehensive Meta-analysis version 2.2.048 software. Findings: The Meta-analysis forest plot revealed that, the effect size was preferential towards bulk fill composites with a statistical significance P-value <0.001. Applications/Improvements: Bulk fill resin composites could substantially solve the polymerization shrinkage and the degree of conversion inherent problems common in other contemporary resin composites specially when used in deep posterior cavities without harming its bond strength to dentin substrate. Clinical Significance: Bulk fill resin composites offers an easy, quick, convenient as well as promising clinical performance in restoration of deep posterior dental cavities.
Bulk fill, Microtensile, Resin Composite, Systematic Review.
- Drummond JL. Degradation, fatigue, and failure of resin dental composite materials. Journal of Dental Research. 2008;87(8):710–19.
- Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Ruggeri A, Cadenaro M, Di Lenarda R, Dorigo EDS. Dental adhesion review: aging and stability of the bonded interface. Dental Materials. 2008; 24(1):90–101.
- Liu Y, Tjörhane L, Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Li N, Mao J, Pashley DH, Tay FR. Limitations in bonding to dentin and experimental strategies to prevent bond degradation. Journal of Dental Research. 2011; 90(8):953–68.
- Manhart RH. Longevity of restorations in posterior teeth and reasons for faiiure. Journal of Adhesive Dentistry. 2001;3(1):45–64.
- Moraes RR, Garcia JW, Barros MD, Lewis SH, Pfeifer CS, Liu J, Stansbury JW. Control of polymerization shrinkage and stress in nanogel-modified monomer and composite materials. Dental Materials. 2011; 27(6):509–19.
- Jang JH, Park SH, Hwang IN. Polymerization shrinkage and depth of cure of bulk-fill resin composites and highly filled flowable resin. Operative Dentistry. 2015;40(2):172–80.
- Lai JH, Johnson AE. Measuring polymerization shrinkage of photo-activated restorative materials by a water-filled dilatometer. Dental Materials. 1993; 9(2):139–43.
- Ausiello P, Rengo S, Davidson CL, Watts DC. Stress distributions in adhesively cemented ceramic and resin-composite Class II inlay restorations: a 3D-FEA study. Dental Materials. 2004; 20(9):862–72.
- Ferrari M, Cagidiaco MC, Davidson CL. Resistance of cementum in Class II and V cavities to penetration by an adhesive system. Dental Materials. 1997; 13(3):157–62.
- Fabianelli A. A study into the significance of tracing microleakage by color die infiltration, Dental Materials and Clinical Applications, University of Siena: Italy;2004.
- Heintze SD. Clinical relevance of tests on bond strength, microleakage and marginal adaptation. Dental Materials. 2013; 29(1):59–84.
- Ferracane JL, Mitchem JC, Condon JR, Todd R. Wear and marginal breakdown of composites with various degrees of cure. Journal of Dental Research. 1997; 76(8):1508–16.
- Caughman WF, Caughman GB, Shiflett RA, Rueggeberg F, Schuster GS. Correlation of cytotoxicity, filler loading and curing time of dental composites. Biomaterials. 1991; 12(8):737–40.
- Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gitzsche PC, Ioannidis JPA, Clarke M, Devereaux PJ, Kleijnen J, Moher D. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2009; 151(4):65–94.
- Rosa WL, Piva E, Silva AF. Bond strength of universal adhesives: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of dentistry. 2015; 43(7):765–76.
- Higgins JP, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG. Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ. 2003; 327(7414):557–60.
- Flury S, Peutzfeldt A, Lussi A. Influence of increment thickness on microhardness and dentin bond strength of bulk fill resin composites. Dental Materials. 2014; 30(10):1104–12.
- Al-Harbi F, Kaisarly D, Michna A, ArRejaie A, Bader D, El Gezawi M. Cervical interfacial bonding effectiveness of class ii bulk versus incremental fill resin composite restorations. Operative Dentistry. 2015; 40(6):622–35.
- Taschner M, Wild S, Petschelt A, Zorzin J. Influence of bulkfil vs. conventional composite on etch-and-rinse adhesives. Dental Materials. 2014; 30(1):49.
- Juloski J, Carrabba M, Aragoneses JM, Forner L, Vichi A, Ferrari M. Microleakage of class II restorations and microtensile bond strength to dentin of low-shrinkage composites. American Journal of Dentistry. 2013; 26(5):271–7.
- Van Ende A, De Munck J, Van Landuyt KL, Poitevin A, Peumans M, VanMeerbeek B. Bulk-filling of high C-factor posterior cavities: effect on adhesion to cavity-bottom dentin. Dental Materials. 2013; 29(3):269–77.
- Koyuturk AE, Tokay U, Sari ME, Ozmen B, Cortcu M, Acar H, Ulker M. Influence of the bulk fill restorative technique on microleakage and microtensile of class II restorations. Pediatric Dental Journal. 2014; 24(3):148–52.
- Kumagai RY, Zeidan LC, Rodrigues JA, Reis AF, Roulet JF. Bond strength of a flowable bulk-fill resin composite in class ii mod cavities. Journal of Adhesive Dentistry. 2015; 17(5):427–32.
- Dennison JB. Dentin bonding: SEM comparison of the dentin surface in primary and permanent teeth. Pediatric Dentistry. 1997; 19(4):246–52.
- Söderholm K-J, Geraldeli S, Shen C. What do microtensile bond strength values of adhesives mean? Journal of Adhesive Dentistry. 2012; 14(4):307–14.
- Pashley DH, Carvalho RM, Sano H, Nakajima M, Yoshiyama M, Shono Y, Fernandes CA, Tay F. The microtensile bond test: a review. Journal of Adhesive Dentistry. 1999; 1(4):299–309.
- Garcia D, Yaman P, Dennison J, Neiva GF. Polymerization shrinkage and depth of cure of bulk fill flowable composite resins. Operative Dentistry. 2011; 39(4):441–8.
- Ilie N, Hickel R. Investigations on a methacrylate-based flowable composite based on the SDRTM technology. Dental Materials. 2011; 27(4):348–55.
- Ferracane JL. Developing a more complete understanding of stresses produced in dental composites during polymerization. Dental Materials. 2005; 21(1):36–42.
- Davidson CL, De Gee AJ. Relaxation of polymerization contraction stresses by flow in dental composites. Journal of Dental Research. 1984; 63(2):146–8.
- Jin X, Bertrand S, Hammesfahr PD. New radically polymerizable resins with remarkably low curing stress. Journal of Dental Research. 2009; 88(Spec Iss A):1651.
- Roggendorf MJ, Krämer N, Appelt A, Naumann M, Frankenberger R. Marginal quality of flowable 4-mm base vs. conventionally layered resin composite. Journal of Dentistry. 2011; 39(10):643–37.
- Abbas G, Fleming GJP, Harrington E, Shortall ACC, Burke FJT. Cuspal movement and microleakage in premolar teeth restored with a packable composite cured in bulk or in increments. Journal of Dentistry. 2003; 31(6):437–44.
- Par M, Gamulin O, Marovic D, Klaric E, Tarle Z. Raman spectroscopic assessment of degree of conversion of bulk-fill resin composites-changes at 24 hours post cure. Operative Dentistry. 2015; 40(3):92–101.
- Papadogiannis D, Tolidis K, Gerasimou P, Lakes R, Papadogiannis Y. Viscoelastic properties, creep behavior and degree of conversion of bulk fill composite resins. Dental Materials. 2015; 31(12):1533–41.
- Li X, Pongprueksa P, Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J. Curing profile of bulk-fill resin-based composites. Journal of Dentistry. 2015; 43(6):664–72.
- Lassila LVJ, Nagas E, Vallittu PK, Garoushi S. Translucency of flowable bulk-filling composites of various thicknesses. Chinese Journal of Dental Research. 2012; 15(1):31–35.
- Ilie N, Bucuta S, Draenert M. Bulk-fill resin-based composites: an in vitro assessment of their mechanical performance. Operative Dentistry. 2013;38(6):618–25.
- Shinohara MS, Yamauti M, Inoue G, Nikaido T, Tagami J, Giannini M, de Goes MF. Evaluation of antibacterial and fluoride-releasing adhesive system on dentin-microtensile bond strength and acid-base challenge. Dental Materials Journal. 2006; 25(3):545–52.
- Van Meerbeek B, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Mine A, Van Ende A, Neves A, De Munck J. Relationship between bond-strength tests and clinical outcomes. Dental Materials. 2010; 26(2):e100–e21.
- van Dijken JW, Pallesen U. A randomized controlled three year evaluation of "bulk-filled"posterior resin restorations based on stress decreasing resin technology. Dental Materials. 2014; 30(9):245–51.
- van Dijken JWV, Pallesen U. Randomized 3-year clinical evaluation of class I and II posterior resin restorations placed with a bulk-fill resin composite and a one-step self-etching adhesive. The Journal of Adhesive Dentistry. 2015; 17(1):81–88.
- Bayraktar Y, Ercan E, Hamidi MM, Çolak H. One-year clinical evaluation of different types of bulk-fill composites. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry. Forthcoming 2016 Jan 22.
- Demarco FF, Corrĕa MB, Cenci MS, Moraes RR, Opdam NJM. Longevity of posterior composite restorations: not only a matter of materials. Dental Materials. 2012; 28(1):87–101.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.