Total views : 424
Design and Crack Analysis of Pressure Vessel Saddles Using Finite Element Method
Background/Objectives: Saddles are one of the important parts of vessel as they support the vessel. In this study, how Mode II type crack propagated inside the junction of saddle and vessel connection would spoil the entire setup of the vessel was investigated. The main intention of this work was to avoid the repeated failures of saddles during operation in energy development industries and wherever it is used. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Two different types of saddles were considered and fabricated using IS2060 Grade B material. The saddle parts were welded as per the code rule of API. Findings: Normally, welding in inclined saddle is difficult in comparison with straight saddle. This may be reason; the failure rate of inclined saddle is high in comparison with straight saddles during operation and loading conditions. The other possibility of failure is the gap formation inside the weld during joining the plates. This is due to non-deposition of weld materials. The gap would grow during operation and loaded conditions. To avoid these types of failures, external and internal crack inspections were done. Once the inspection was done, it was examined the load carrying of the fabricated saddles using FEM. Then the solid works software was used to simulate the solid model which it’s developed similar like original saddle fabricated for estimating the load carrying capacities. The obtained results of NDT and FEM were presented and the design recommendations based on investigation and study are also suggested. Applications/Improvements: The obtained results of NDT and FEM were presented and the design recommendations based on investigation and study are also suggested.
Pressure Vessels, Saddles Finite Elements, Inspection, Support Structure.
- Zick LP. Stresses in large horizontal cylindrical pressure vessels on two saddle supports, Welding Journal Research Supplement. 1971; 959–70.
- Karwa R. A text book of Machine Design. New Delhi: Laxmi Publishing Pvt. Ltd.; 2006.
- Annaratone D. Pressure Vessel Design. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer; 2007.
- Chattopadhyay S. Pressure Vessels Design and Practice. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2004.
- Megyesy EF. Pressure Vessel Handbook. 10th ed. Tulsa, OK: Pressure Vessel Publishing Inc.; 1997.
- Brownell LE, Young EH. Process Equipment Design. New York: John Wiley and Sons Inc.; 1959.
- Moss D, Basic MM. Pressure Vessel Design Manual. 3rd ed. UK: Professional Publishing, Elsevier; 2004.
- Bednar HH. Pressure Vessel Design Handbook. 2nd ed. Malabar, Florida: Krieger Publishing Company; 1991.
- Krauthammer T, Ventsel E. Thin Plates and Shells. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.; 2001.
- Mackerle J. Finite elements in the analysis of pressure vessels and piping, an Addendum: A bibliography (2001-2004). International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2004; 82(7):571–92.
- El-Abbasi N, Meguid SA, Czekanski A. Three-dimensional finite element analysis of saddle supported pressure vessels. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. 2001; 43(5):1229–42.
- Magnuckia K, Stasiewicza P, Szyca W. Flexible saddle support of a horizontal cylindrical pressure vessel. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2003; 80(3):205–10.
- Khan SMA. Stress distributions in a horizontal pressure vessel and the saddle supports. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2010; 87(5):239–44.
- Diamantoudis AT, Kermanidis T. Design by analysis versus design by formula of high strength steel pressure vessels: A comparative study. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2004; 82(1):43–50.
- Spence J, Nash DH. Milestones in pressure vessel technology. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2004; 81(2):89–18.
- Available from: http://www.tormeneamericana.com.ar/public/TA2885A-0000-C-001 Data Book/Databook H-21002/TA2885A-0000-C-001 - Mechanical Calculation /TA2885A-0000-C-001 - AS Built.pdf
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.