Total views : 264
Prosthodontic Maintenance of Fixed Implant Restorations vs. Implant Overdentures: A Systematic Review
Objectives: To compare the prosthodontic maintenance requirements of fixed implant prosthesis versus that of implant overdentures after an observation period of at least 1year. Methods: An electronic search was performed using PubMed and Cochrane CENTRAL databases for articles published in English till the end of September 2015. Inclusion criteria were randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and prospective cohort studies (PS) which compared maintenance requirements of fixed versus removable implant supported full arch prostheses. Two reviewers independently screened titles and abstract, made data extraction and appraised the quality of included studies. Findings: From a total of 21 relevant studies identified, 2 RCTs and 6 PS fulfilled the inclusion criteria. The most common prosthetic complications affecting both types of prostheses were abutment screw loosening and fracture, prosthetic teeth fracture, frame work/bar fracture, acrylic resin denture base crack/fracture and denture remake. Most of the included studies were PS, and the RCTs were considered of high risk of bias accordingly there is no enough evidence to conclude that a group is superior over the other. Application/Improvements: To perform a true comparison, well designed RCTs should be held out. Besides, the evaluation of prosthodontic maintenance should be standardized between studies to come out with a definite conclusion..
Dental Implant, Fixed Prostheses, Maintenance, Overdenture, Systematic Review.
- Kapur KK. Management of the edentulous elderly patient. Gerodontics. 1987 Feb; 3(1):51–4.
- Krennmair G, Suto D, Seemann R, Piehslinger E. Removable four implant-supported mandibular overdentures rigidly retained with telescopic crowns or milled bars: a 3-year prospective study. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012 Apr; 23(4):481–8.
- Fortin Y, Sullivan RM, Rangert BR. The Marius implant bridge: surgical and prosthetic rehabilitation for the completely edentulous upper jaw with moderate to severe resorption: a 5-year retrospective clinical study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2002 Jan; 4(2):69–77.
- Tinsley D, Watson CJ, Russell JL. A comparison of hydroxylapatite coated implant retained fixed and removable mandibular prostheses over 4 to 6 years. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2001 Apr; 12(2):159–66.
- Berglundh T, Persson L, Klinge B. A systematic review of the incidence of biological and technical complications in implant dentistry reported in prospective longitudinal studies of at least 5 years. J Clin Periodontol. 2002 Jan; 29 (Suppl 3):197–212; Discussion 232–3.
- Papaspyridakos P, Chen C-J, Chuang S-K, Weber H-P, Gallucci GO. A systematic review of biologic and technical complications with fixed implant rehabilitations for edentulous patients. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2011 Jan; 27(1):102–10.
- Bozini T, Petridis H, Garefis K, Garefis P. A meta-analysis of prosthodontic complication rates of implant-supported fixed dental prostheses in edentulous patients after an observation period of at least 5 years. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2011 Jan; 26(2):304–18.
- Andreiotelli M, Att W, Strub J-R. Prosthodontic complications with implant overdentures: a systematic literature review. Int J Prosthodont. 2010 May; 23(3):195–203.
- Osman RB, Payne AGT, Ma S. Prosthodontic maintenance of maxillary implant overdentures: a systematic literature review. Int J Prosthodont. 2012 Jul; 25(4):381–91.
- Welch V, Petticrew M, Tugwell P, Moher D, O’Neill J, Waters E, et al. PRISMA-Equity 2012 extension: reporting guidelines for systematic reviews with a focus on health equity. PLoS Med. 2012 Jan; 9(10):e1001333.
- Higgins JPT, Altman DG, Gotzsche PC, Juni P, Moher D, Oxman AD, et al. The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. BMJ. 2011 Jan; 343:d5928.
- Wells GA, Shea B, O’Connell D, et al. Ottawa, ON: Ottawa Hospital Research Institute: The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of non-randomized studies in meta-analyses. 2011. Available from: http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical epidemiology/oxford.asp.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Int J Surg. 2010 Jan; 8(5):336–41.
- Watson RM, Davis DM. Follow up and maintenance of implant supported prostheses: a comparison of 20 complete mandibular overdentures and 20 complete mandibular fixed cantilever prostheses. Br Dent J. 1996 Nov 9; 181(9):321–7.
- Zitzmann NU, Marinello CP. Treatment outcomes of fixed or removable implant-supported prostheses in the edentulous maxilla. Part II: clinical findings. J Prosthet Dent. 2000 Apr; 83(4):434–42.
- Buser D, Mericske-Stern R, Bernard JP, Behneke A, Behneke N, Hirt HP, et al. Long-term evaluation of non-submerged ITI implants. Part 1: 8-year life table analysis of a prospective multi-center study with 2359 implants. Clin Oral Implants Res. 1997 Jun; 8(3):161–72.
- Davarpanah M, Martinez D, Etienne DDSD, Zabalegui DDS. A Prospective Multicenter Evaluation of 1,583 3i impiants: 1- to 5-year Data. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant. 2002 Nov; 17(6):820–9.
- De Smet E, Duyck J, Vander Sloten J, Jacobs R, Naert I. Timing of loading--immediate, early, or delayed--in the outcome of implants in the edentulous mandible: a prospective clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2007 Jul; 22(4):580–94.
- Esposito M, Barausse C. Short implants versus bone augmentation for placing longer implants in atrophic maxillae : One-year post-loading results of a pilot randomised controlled trial. 2015; 8(3):257–68.
- Friberg B, Raghoebar GM, Grunert I, Hobkirk JA, Hc M, Eng FDSRCS, et al. A 5-year Prospective Multicenter Study on 1-Stage Smooth-Surface Branemark System Implants with Early Loading in Edentulous Mandibles. 2008 May; 23(3):481-6.
- Isaksson R, Becktor JP, Brown A, Laurizohn C, Isaksson S. Oral health and oral implant status in edentulous patients with implant-supported dental prostheses who are receiving long-term nursing care. Gerodontology. 2009 Dec; 26(4):245–9.
- Quirynen M, Pauwels M, Van Steenberghe D, Quirynen M, Alsaadi G, Naert I. Microbiological and clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction for two treatment options in the edentulous lower jaw after 10 years of function. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2005 Jun; 16(3):277–87.
- Rodriguez AM, Orenstein IH, Morris HF, Ochi S. Survival of various implant-supported prosthesis designs following 36 months of clinical function. Ann Periodontol. 2000 Dec; 5(1):101–8.
- Mangano C, Mangano F, Piattelli A, Iezzi G, Mangano A, La Colla L. Prospective clinical evaluation of 1920 Morse taper connection implants: Results after 4 years of functional loading. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009 Mar; 20(3):254–61.
- Mangano C, Mangano F, Shibli JA, Tettamanti L, Figliuzzi M, d’Avila S, et al. Prospective evaluation of 2,549 Morse taper connection implants: 1- to 6-year data. J Periodontol. 2011 Jan; 82(1):52–61.
- Carlson B, Carlsson GE. Prosthodontic complications in osseointegrated dental implant treatment. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1997 Jan; 9(1):90–4.
- Romeo E, Lops D, Margutti E, Ghisolfi M, Chiapasco M, Vogel G. Long-term survival and success of oral implants in the treatment of full and partial arches: a 7-year prospective study with the ITI dental implant system. Int J oral Maxillofac Implant. 2004 Mar; 19(2):247–59.
- Zinsli B, Sagesser T, Mericske E, Mericske-Stern R. Clinical evaluation of small-diameter ITI implants: a prospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004 Jan; 19(1):92-9.
- Hemmings KW, Schmitt A, Zarb GA. Complications and maintenance requirements for fixed prostheses and overdentures in the edentulous mandible: a 5-year report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1994 Jan; 9(2):191–6.
- Cannizzaro G, Leone M, Esposito M. Immediate Functional Loading of Implants Placed with Flapless Surgery in the Edentulous Maxilla : 1-year Follow-up of a Single Cohort Study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2007 Jan; 22(1):87-95.
- De Kok IJ, Chang KH, Lu TS, Cooper LF. Comparison of three-implant-supported fixed dentures and two-implant-retained overdentures in the edentulous mandible: a pilot study of treatment efficacy and patient satisfaction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2011 Mar; 26(2):415-26.
- Katsoulis J, Brunner A, Mericske-Stern R. Maintenance of implant-supported maxillary prostheses: a 2-year controlled clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2011 Jan; 26(3):648–56.
- Makkonen TA, Holmberg S, Niemi L, Olsson C, Tammisalo T, Peltola J. A 5-year prospective clinical study of Astra Tech dental implants supporting fixed bridges or overdentures in the edentulous mandible. Clin Oral Implants Res. 1997 Dec; 8(6):469–75.
- Raghoebar GM, Friberg B, Grunert I, Hobkirk J A, Tepper G, Wendelhag I. 3-Year Prospective Multicenter Study on One-Stage Implant Surgery and Early Loading in the Edentulous Mandible. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2003 May; 5(1):39–46.
- Higgins JP, Altman DG. Higgins JP, Green S, editors. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. Version 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011. Available from: http://www.cochrane?handbook.org.
- Egger M, Zellweger-Zahner T, Schneider M, Junker C, Lengeler C, Antes G. Language bias in randomised controlled trials published in English and German. Lancet (London, England). 1997 Aug 2; 350(9074):326–9.
- Egger M, Juni P, Bartlett C, Holenstein F, Sterne J. How important are comprehensive literature searches and the assessment of trial quality in systematic reviews? Empirical study. Health Technol Assess. 2003 Jan; 7(1):1–76.
- Naert I, Quirynen M, Theuniers G, van Steenberghe D. Prosthetic aspects of osseointegrated fixtures supporting overdentures. A 4-year report. J Prosthet Dent. 1991 May; 65(5):671–80.
- Johansson G, Palmqvist S. Complications, supplementary treatment, and maintenance in edentulous arches with implant-supported fixed prostheses. Int J Prosthodont. Jan; 3(1):89–92.
- Needleman IG. A guide to systematic reviews. J Clin Periodontol. 2002 Jan; 29(Suppl 3):6–9; Discussion 37–8.
- Guckes AD, Scurria MS, Shugars DA. A conceptual framework for understanding outcomes of oral implant therapy. J Prosthet Dent. 1996 Jun; 75(6):633–9.
- Khraisat A, Hashimoto A, Nomura S, Miyakawa O. Effect of lateral cyclic loading on abutment screw loosening of an external hexagon implant system. J Prosthet Dent. 2004 Apr; 91(4):326–34.
- Weinberg LA. The biomechanics of force distribution in implant-supported prostheses. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1993 Jan; 8(1):19–31.
- Naert I, Alsaadi G, Quirynen M. Prosthetic aspects and patient satisfaction with two-implant-retained mandibular overdentures: a 10-year randomized clinical study. Int J Prosthodont. 2004 Jul-Aug; 17(4):401–10.
- John A Hobkirk, Roger M Watson, Lloyd JJ Searson. Oxford: Elsevier Science Limited: Introducing dental implants. 2003.
- Goodacre CJ, Bernal G, Rungcharassaeng K, Kan JYK. Clinical complications with implants and implant prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 Aug; 90(2):121–32.
- Truslon M. The tooth as a sensor in the masticatory system. J SDA. 2006; 98:30–8.
- Fischer K, Stenberg T, Hedin M, Sennerby L. Five-year results from a randomized, controlled trial on early and delayed loading of implants supporting full-arch prosthesis in the edentulous maxilla. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008 May; 19(5):433–41.
- Purcell BA, McGlumphy EA, Holloway JA, Beck FM. Prosthetic complications in mandibular metal-resin implant-fixed complete dental prostheses: a 5- to 9-year analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008 Jan; 23(5):847–57.
- Sahin S, Cehreli MC. The significance of passive framework fit in implant prosthodontics: current status. Implant Dent. 2001 Jan; 10(2):85–92.
- Shackleton JL, Carr L, Slabbert JC, Becker PJ. Survival of fixed implant-supported prostheses related to cantilever lengths. J Prosthet Dent. 1994 Jan; 71(1):23–6.
- Davis DM, Packer ME, Watson RM. Maintenance requirements of implant-supported fixed prostheses opposed by implant-supported fixed prostheses, natural teeth, or complete dentures: a 5-year retrospective study. Int J Prosthodont. 2003 Sep-Oct; 16(5):521–3.
- Carr AB, Stewart RB. Full-arch implant framework casting accuracy: preliminary in vitro observation for in vivo testing. J Prosthodont. 1993 Mar; 2(1):2–8.
- Baran G, Boberick K, McCool J. Fatigue of restorative materials. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2001 Jan; 12(4):350–60.
- MacEntee MI, Walton JN, Glick N. A clinical trial of patient satisfaction and prosthodontic needs with ball and bar attachments for implant-retained complete overdentures: three-year results. J Prosthet Dent. 2005 Jan; 93(1):28–37.
- Krennmair G, Krainhofner M, Piehslinger E. Implant-supported maxillary overdentures retained with milled bars: maxillary anterior versus maxillary posterior concept--a retrospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008 Mar-Apr; 23(2):343–52.
- Gotfredsen K, Holm B. Implant-supported mandibular overdentures retained with ball or bar attachments: a randomized prospective 5-year study. Int J Prosthodont. 2000 Mar-Apr; 13(2):125–30.
- Johns RB, Jemt T, Heath MR, Hutton JE, McKenna S, McNamara DC, et al. A multicenter study of overdentures supported by Brånemark implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1992 Jan; 7(4):513–22.
- Suzuki T, Kumagai H, Yoshitomi N, McGlumphy EA. Occlusal contacts of edentulous patients with mandibular hybrid dentures opposing maxillary complete dentures. The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants. 1999 Jul; 14(4):504–9.
- Mostafa Aboushahba M, Katamish H, Elagroudy M. Evaluation of Wear and Hardness of Zirconia with Different Surface Treatment Protocols a Systematic Review. Indian J Sci Technol. 2016 Oct; 9(39):1–15.
- Zahedi JAM, Ziaie F, Larijani MM, Borghei SM, Kamaliyanfar A. Synthesis and characterization of sodium-carbon apatite nano-crystals by chemical sedimentation method. Indian J Sci Technol. 2012 Mar; 5(S3):2464–7.
- Rastegari F, Rastegari F. Silicon Nanocrystal Memories. Indian J Sci Technol. 2012; 5(S3):2451–4.
- Bilankohi SM, Ebrahimzadeh M, Ghaffary T, Zeidiyam M. Scattering, absorption and extinction properties of Al/TiO2 core/shell nanospheres. Indian J Sci Technol. 2015 May; 8(S9):27–30.
- Raj MS, Arkin VH, Jagannath AM. Nanocomposites based on polymer and hydroxyapatite for drug delivery application. Indian J Sci Technol. 2013 May; 6(S5):4653–8.
- Prince MJA. Optimizing ultralow interfacial tension by altering surfactant concentration through emulsion test. Indian J Sci Technol. 2014 Nov; 7(S7):10–2.
- Simolowo OE, Okonkwo FC, Kehinde OO. CAD/CAM Applications: Status and Impact in Nigerian Industrial Sector. Indian J Sci Technol. 2010 June; 3(6):648–52.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.