Total views : 235
Critical Success Factors of Root Cause Failure Analysis
Background/Objectives: Failure causes huge loss to oil and gas industries in context of operations stoppage, human injury, equipment and assets damage. RCFA process is commonly used to control these failures. Nevertheless, RCFA goes ineffective and unsuccessful due to various reasons. Objective of this study is to highlight existing shortcomings and identify critical factors of RCFA crucial for effective failure investigation. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To achieve the objectives of this study, various literatures will be reviewed related to RCFA to identify existing weaknesses and flaws in the process. Recognise important elements of RCFA and analyse them to find critical factors of RCFA necessary to be considered to perform effective and successful failure investigation. Findings: After extensive literature review, study highlighted various shortcomings of existing process and identified multiple factors crucial to be considered while carrying out RCFA. These factors have been categorized under resources, management support, data and information, technical factors and failure data management system/database. Each identified factor is significant and has key importance for successful implementation of RCFA. Application/Improvements: Study will support failure investigation team to understand and consider critical factors necessary for conducting effective RCFA. Study will also enhance accuracy of investigation in controlling future failure recurrences.
Critical, Equipment, Factors, Oil and Gas, RCFA, Root Cause Failure Analysis
- Castellanos V, Albiter A, Hernandez P, Barrera G. Failure analysis expert system for onshore pipelines. Part–I: Structured database and knowledge acquisition. Expert Systems with Applications. 2011; 38(9):11085–90.
- Mannan S. Accident Research and Investigation Chapter 19. Mannan S, editor. Lees’ Process Safety Essentials.Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann; 2014. p. 373–81.
- Khan MM, Mokhtar AA, Hussin H. A neural based fuzzy logic model to determine corrosion rate for carbon steel subject to corrosion under insulation. Applied Mechanics and Materials: Trans Tech Publ; 2015.
- Hekmatpanah M, Shahin A, Ravichandran N. The application of FMEA in the oil industry in Iran: The case of four litre oil canning process of Sepahan Oil Company.African Journal of Business Management. 2011; 5(8):3019–27.
- Tahan M, Muhammad M, Karim ZA. A framework for intelligent condition-based maintenance of rotating equipment using mechanical condition monitoring. MATEC Web of Conferences; 2014: EDP Sciences.
- York D, Jin K, Song Q, Li H. Practical root cause analysis using cause mapping. Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists; 2014.
- Al-Shamari A, Jarragh A, Prakash S, Al-Mithin A, Kumar S, Islam M. Root cause analysis of cracking in a stainless steel clad plate in a gas scrubber unit. Corrosion; 2011.
- Rooney JJ, Heuvel LNV. Root cause analysis for beginners. Quality progress. 2004; 37(7):45–56.
- DoE U. Root cause analysis guidance document. Technical Report DOE-NE-STD-1004-92. Washington, DC: US Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy; 1992.
- Limanowka WA, Degen S, Benwell G. Preventive maintenance of electric submersible pumps and its relationship to root cause of failure analysis. 2001/1/1/. SPE: Society of Petroleum Engineers; 2001.
- Zavagnin R. An overview of a Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) process. Banff, Canada: IPEIA Conference; 2008.
- Ransom DL. A practical guideline for a successful root cause failure analysis. tratto da Proceedings of the ThirtySixth Turbomachinery Symposium; 2007.
- Mahto D, Kumar A. Application of root cause analysis in improvement of product quality and productivity. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management. 2008; 1(2): 16–53.
- Stair C, Morphy P, Chipperfield S, Harris S, ONeal D, Pewitt M. Identifying the root cause of a deepwater GoM infant sand control failure. SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition; Society of Petroleum Engineers; 2004.
- Padnos G. Improved efficiency using Root Cause Failure Analysis. Global SMT and Packaging. 2011; 11(6):14.
- Vorley G. Mini guide to root cause analysis. 2015. Available from: http://wwwroot-cause-analysiscouk/images/Green %20RCA%20mini%20guide%20v5%20smallpdf
- Hicks D. Why Root Cause Failure Analysis efforts failpractical leadership tips. 2015. Available from: http:// virtualauburnworksorg/profiles/blogs/why-root-causefailureanalysis-efforts-fail-practical-leadership
- McNair S. The top six reasons why RCFA initiatives fail. 2015. Available from http://wwwlcecom/The_Top_Six_ Reasons_Why_RCFA_Initiatives_Fail_464-itemhtml
- Wilson B. Top 5 reasons for failed root cause analysis. 2014. Available from: https://wwwbill-wilsonnet/top-5-reasonsforfailed-root-cause-analysis
- Holmefjord A, Nielsen L. Incident and Accident investigation - methods and lessons learned in the Norwegian Oil and Gas Industry. SPE Internationl Conference on Health, Safety and Environment in Oil and Gas Exploration and Production held in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia; SPE: Society of Petroleum Engineers; 2002.
- Vanden Heuvel LN, Lorenzo DK. Ten keys to an effective RCA program. 2015. Available from: https://wwwabsconsultingcom/ resources/articles/071_BICSept08pdf
- Ziedelis S, Noel M. Comparative analysis of nuclear event investigation methods, tools and techniques. JRC-IE Publications Office of the European Union; 2011.
- Iedema R, Jorm C, Braithwaite J. Managing the scope and impact of root cause analysis recommendations. Journal of Health Organization and Management. 2008; 22(6):569–85.
- Hicks BJ, Matthews J. The barriers to realising sustainable process improvement: A root cause analysis of paradigms for manufacturing systems improvement. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing. 2010; 23(7):585–602.
- Yuniarto HA. The shortcomings of existing Root Cause Analysis tools. Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering; 2012.
- Nelms CR. The problem with root cause analysis. 13th IEEE Annual Meeting on Human Factors and Power Plants and HPRCT; 2007.
- Vijayalakshmi P, Mercy JL. Failure analysis and re-design of tractor brake actuating link. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(11).
- Mobley RK. Root cause failure analysis. ButterworthHeinemann; 1999.
- Heuvel LNV, Lorenzo DK, Hanson WE. Root cause analysis handbook: A guide to efficient and effective incident investigation. Rothstein Associates Inc; 2008.
- Shaqdan K, Aran S, Besheli LD, Abujudeh H. Root cause analysis and health failure mode and effect analysis: Two leading techniques in health care quality assessment. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2014; 11(6):572–9.
- Choi HR, Kwak CH, Cho M. A study to improve the public data management of the City of Busan. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(15).
- Sutton I. Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis Chapter 11. Process Risk and Reliability Management (Second Edition). Sutton I, editor. Oxford: Gulf Professional Publishing; 2015. p. 445–518.
- Ammerman M. The root cause analysis handbook: A simplified approach to identifying, correcting and reporting workplace errors. Productivity Incorporated; 1998.
- A Guide to investigating workplace incidents 2003. University of Manitoba, Canada. 2015. Available from: http://wwwumanitobaca/admin/vp_admin/risk_management/ ehso/media/AIguideWSHpdf
- Crowley DT, Hiney B. Got Safety? You Bet We Do! Incident Reporting and Investigation Boost. ASSE Professional Development Conference and Exposition: American Society of Safety Engineers; 2005.
- Medina-Oliva G, Iung B, Barbera L, Viveros P, Ruin T. Root cause analysis to identify physical causes. 11th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management Conference and the Annual European Safety and Reliability Conference, PSAM11-ESREL 2012; 2012.
- Gano DL. Comparison of common root cause analysis tools and methods. Apollo Root Cause Analysis-A new way of thinking; 2007.
- Martinez J. Root Cause Analysis: From detection to implementation. Available from: http://wwwmachinerylubricationcom/ Read/29975/root-cause-analysis
- Keeter B. FRACAS – Unleashing the power of the EAM as a reliability improvement tool 2006. 2015. Available from: http://wwwreliabilitywebcom/art06/fracas_eamhtm
- Hatamura Y, Ilno K, Tsuchlya K, Hamaguchi T. Structure of failure knowledge database and case expression. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology. 2003; 52(1):97–100.
- JST-Failure Knowledge Database. 2015. Available from: http://wwwsozogakucom/fkd/
- Tango’s RCFA information management system. 2015. Available from: https://tf7com/TF7PublicWebsite/Support/ RCFAaspx
- ASM failure analysis database. 2015. Available from: http:// wwwasminternationalorg/materials-resources/onlinedatabases/-/ journal
- Awano Y, Ma Q, Yoshikawa M. Cause analysis of new incidents by using Failure Knowledge Database. Database and Expert Systems Applications: Springer; 2012.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.