Total views : 364
Communication in Creative Process of Art Communities
Purpose: This research is aimed at an enquiry into whether it is possible in an analysis of an artistic creative process to use a model, major components (sub-processes) of which include a problem statement, emotional arousal, generating, objectification and evaluating. Methods/Analysis: The research methodological framework includes a communicative approach. It involves comprehension of creative sub-processes using a communication analysis that takes place in a team, members of which are engaged in solving an intellectually demanding task. The evidence-based framework for the paper included the data gathered with a method of a semi-structured interview in time of field research. Their object included four art communities that in an urban environment (e.g. Moscow, Saint Petersburg) had brought together more than thirty artists, working in various genres of the contemporary art. Results: The findings presented in the paper describe the sub-processes of objectification and emotional arousal in an individual and team creative work of artists, as well as understanding a role performed by communication in each process performance. Novelty/Improvements: Firstly, the research novelty lies in the model of the creative process used for the artwork analysis; the model was elaborated in the field of invention. Second, it lies in a description of the relationship between communication and creativity in the artwork of the artists clustered into art communities. Third, it lies in the identified “material” form of objectification in the artistic creative process.
Art Communities, Creative Process, Communication, Team’s Role Structure
- Sadler-Smith E. Wallas four-stage model of the creative process: More than, meets the eye? Creativity Research Journal. 2015; 27(4):342–52.
- Stuhlfaut MW, Vanden Bergh BG. Creativity is … A metaphoric model of the creative thought process. Journal of Marketing Communications. 2014; 20(6):383-96.
- Hyatt KS. Creativity through intrapersonal communication dialog. The Journal of Creative Behavior. 1992; 26(1):65-71.
- Negus K, Pickering M. Creativity: Communication and cultural values. Kharkov: Institute of Humanities; 2011.
- Goldberg C. The interpersonal aim of creative endeavor. The Journal of Creative Behavior. 1986; 20(1):35-48.
- Isaksen SG, Treffinger DJ. Creative problem solving: The basic course. Buffalo, NY: Bearly Limited; 1985.
- Sales A, Fournier M. Knowledge, communication and creativity. SAGE Publications; 2007.
- Tella A, Adu EO. Information Communication Technology (ICT) and curriculum development: The challenges for education for sustainable development. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Mar; 2(3):1-5.
- Woodman RW, Sawyer JE, Griffin RW. Toward a theory of organizational creativity. Academy of Management Review. 1993 Apr 1; 18(2):293-321.
- Amabile TM. A model of creativity and innovation in organizations. Research in Organizational Behavior. 1988; 10:123-67.
- Paulus PB, Nijstad BA. Group creativity: An introduction. In: Paulus PB, Nijstad BA, editors. Group creativity: Innovation through collaboration. Oxford; 2003. p. 2.
- Hesmondhalgh D. The Cultural Industries. 2nd ed. London: Sage; 2007.
- Do KH, You YY, Jung JT. The effects of emotion and communication on job involvement. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Mar; 8(S5):1-8.
- Kurtzberg TR, Amabile TM. From Guilford to creative synergy: Opening the black box of team-level creativity. Creativity Research Journal. 2001; 13(3-4):285-94.
- Sawyer RK. Explaining creativity: The science of human innovation. New York: Oxford University Press; 2006.
- Busse TV, Mansfield RS. Theories of the creative process: A review and a perspective. The Journal of Creative Behavior. 1980; 14(2):91-132.
- Mumford MD, Mobley MI, Uhlman CE, Reiter-Palmon R, Doares LM. Process analytic models of creative capacities. Creative Research Journal. 1991; 4(2):91-122.
- Lubart T. Models of the creative process: Past, present and future. Creativity Research Journal. 2001; 13(3-4):295-308.
- Lubart T, Mouchiroud C, Tordjam S, Zenasni F. Psychologie de la Creativite. Paris: Armand Colin; 2003.
- Eindhoven JE, Vinacke WE. Creative processes in painting. Journal of General Psychology. 1952; 47(2):139-64.
- Furst G, Ghisletta P, Lubart T. The creative process in visual art: A longitudinal multivariate study. Creativity Journal Research. 2012; 24(4):283-95.
- Csikszentmihalyi M. Society, culture, and person: A systems view of creativity. In: Sternberg RJ, editor. The nature of creativity: Contemporary psychological perspectives. New York: Cambridge University Press; 1988. p. 362-85.
- Csikszentmihalyi M. Creativity: Flow and the psychology of discovery and innovation. New York: Harper Collins Publishers; 1996.
- Gadzhiev Ch M. Psychological mechanism for group (collective) to solve creative task. Research of group creativity issues. Moscow: Science; 1983. p. 266-79.
- Kitaev-Smyk LA. Factors of creative process intensity. Questions of Psychology. 2007; 3:69-82.
- Collins R. The Sociology of Philosophies. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press; 1998.
- Peat FD. David Bohm 1917–1992. In: Runco MA, Pritsker SR, editors. Encyclopaedia of Creativity. New York: Academic Press; 2011. p. 159-64.
- Agyemang I. Packaging design course teaching improvement: A case study in the faculty of applied arts, Egypt. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Oct; 3(10):1-5.
- Getzels JW, Csikszentmihalyi M. The creative vision: A longitudinal study of problem finding in art. New York: Wiley; 1976.
- Cawelti S, Rappaport A, Wood B. Modeling artistic creativity: An empirical study. Journal of Creative Behavior. 1992; 26(2):83-94.
- Mace MA, Ward T. Modeling the creative process: A grounded theory analysis of creativity in the domain of art making. Creativity Research Journal. 2002; 14(2):179-92.
- Yin RK. Case study research: Design and methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications; 2009.
- Ponomarev Ya A, Gadzhiev Ch M. Communication patterns in creative team. Questions of Psychology. 1986; 6:77-86.
- Throsby D. Economics and culture. Moscow: Higher School of Economics Publishing House; 2013.
- Belbin RM. Types of roles in teams of managers. Moscow: HIPPO; 2003.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.