Total views : 213
Descriptive Study on Students’ Anxiety towards Statistics
Objectives: Statistics is widely used in various fields of study. However, understanding statistics has created problems among students.This study was conducted to examine anxiety towards statistics using descriptive study. Methods/ Statistical Analysis:182 students from postgraduate level were chosen randomly comprised of 39 males and 143 females. A set of questionnaire on anxiety towards statistics of 50 items was distributed to them. The collected data was analysed using SPSS version 22. Findings: The findings revealed that the students’ anxiety towards statistics was at a moderate level. In addition, the relationship between students’ anxiety towards statistics was significantly low and in a negative direction. Applications/Improvements: As a conclusion, statistics has to be mastered by students, particularly at the postgraduate level as a minimum requirement for them to use in research.
Anxiety, Descriptive Study, Graduates,Statistics, Students.
- Schneider WR. The Relationship Between Statistics Self-Efficacy, Statistics Anxiety, and Performance in an Introductory Graduate Statistics Course. 2011;1–123.
- Hanna D, Shevlin M, Dempster M. The structure of the statistics anxiety rating scale: A confirmatory factor analysis using UK psychology students. Pers Individ Dif. 2008; 45(1):68–74.
- Slootmaeckers K, Kerremans B, Adriaensen J. Too Afraid to learn: Attitudes towards statistics as a barrier to learning statistics and to acquiring quantitative skills. Politics. 2014; 34(2):191–200.
- Onwuegbuzie AJ. Academic procrastination and statistics anxiety. Assess Evaluation of High Education 2004; 29(1):3–19.
- Koh D, Zawi MK. Statistics anxiety among postgraduate students. International Educational Studies. 2014; 7(13):166–74.
- CruiseR J, Wilkins EM. STARS: Statistical Anxiety Rating Scale. 1980; 36(4):1–1.
- Hamid AHS, Sulaiman MK. Statistics Anxiety and Achievement in a Statistics Course among Psychology Students. International Journal of Behavioral Science.2014;9(1):55–66.
- Bond ME, Perkins SN, Ramirez C. Students’ perceptions of statistics: An exploration of attitudes, conceptualizations, and content knowledge of statistics. Statistical Educational Research Journal. 2012; 11(4): 6–25.
- Budé L, Wiel M , De V , Imbos T, Candel M, Broers N, Berger M. Students ’ achievements in a statistics course in relation to motivational aspects and study behaviour.Statistical Educational Research Journal. 2007;6(3): 5–21.
- Chiesi F, Caterina P. Cognitive and non-cognitive factors related to students’ statistics achievement. Statistical Education Research Journal. 2010; 9(1):6–26.
- Nolan MM, Beran T, Hecker KG. Surveys assessing students’ attitudes toward statistics: A systematic review of validity and reliability. Statistical Education Research Journal. 2012;11(2):103–23.
- Suh YT, Kim YJ. Effect of Psychomotricity Program on Anxiety. Withdrawal and Problem Behavior of Children with Asperger Disorder.pdf.crdownload. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(25): 1–8.
- Yeun EJ, Jeon M. Level of Depression and Anxiety among Undergraduate Students. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1–5.
- Ibrahim S, Almoslim HA. State Anxiety and Self-Efficacy among Track and Field Low and High Performers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016;9(7):1–6.
- Shirsavar HR, Moosavi MM. Finding aptitude in post-graduates in educational management course in statistics by the means of evaluating the multiple intelligence factors (Case study of Azad university- GARMSAR branch). Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2012;5(1):1941–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.