Total views : 274
High Gain Opamp based Comparator Design for Sigma Delta Modulator
Sigma delta ADC is mainly used in resolution based application. But the gain of the sigma delta modulator is low. The main objective of the paper is to design the comparator with high gain. Comparator with low gain cannot drive the load effectively through the entire circuit. This paper was designed and simulated using 180 nm process technology (GPDK 180 nm library) in CADENCE Virtuoso Analog Design Environment. In sigma delta ADC, each block should drive the load effectively to the entire circuit. So that the output will come accurately and delay will be less. Based on that concept, need to design the comparator that can be used in sigma delta ADC. In this point of view, some comparators are analysed. In this paper, analyse the performance of regenerative comparators and op-amp based comparators. And find which will efficient comparator for using at sigma delta modulator. Dynamic comparator, double tail comparator, modified double tail comparator are analysed. The gain of these operational amplifiers are low. So high gain based operational amplifier should be designed. For that, first one op-amp was designed which has 84 dB gain. Using this opamp, one comparator was designed. This comparator has high gain. So it can be used for sigma delta ADC for drive the load. And also it meets certain other constraints like speed and moderate power.
CMOS, Opamp Based Comparator, Regenerative Comparators, Sigma Delta ADC, UDSM CMOS Technology.
- Mesgarani A, Alam MN, Nelson FZ, Ay SU. Supply boosting technique for designing very low-voltage mixed-signal circuits in standard CMOS. Proc. IEEE Int Midwest Symp Circuits Syst Dig Tech Papers; 2010 Aug. p. 893–6.
- Nuzzo P, Bernardinis FD, Terreni P, Van der Plas G. Noise analysis of regenerative comparators for reconfigurable ADC architectures. IEEE Trans Circuits Syst I Reg Papers. 2008 Jul; 55(6):1441–54.
- Figueiredo PM, Vital JC. Kickback noise reduction technique for CMOS latched comapartors. IEEE Trans Circuits Syst II Exp Briefs. 2006 Jul; 53(7):541–5.
- Babayan-Mashhadi S, Lotfi R. An offset cancellation technique for comparators using body- voltage trimming. Int J Analog Integer. Circuits Signal Process. 2012 Dec; 73(3):673–82.
- Babayan-Mashhadi S, Lotfi R. Analysis and design of a low-voltage low-power double-tail comparator. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) systems. 2014 Feb; 22(2):343–52.
- Tripathy S, Mandal SK, Patro BS, Omprakash LB. Low power, High speed 8-bit magnitude comparator in 45 nm technology for signal processing application. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(13):1–10.
- Prabhakaran G, Kannan V. Design and analysis of high gain, low power and low voltage a-Si TFT based operational amplifier. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(16):1–10.
- Ay SU. A sub-1 volt 10-bit supply boosted SAR ADC design in standard CMOS. Int J Analog Integer. Circuits Signal Process. 2011 Feb; 66(2):213–21.
- Goll B, Zimmermann H. A comparator with reduced delay time in 65-nm CMOS for supply voltages down to 0.65. IEEE Trans Circuits Syst II Exp Briefs. 2009 Nov; 56(11):810–4.
- Goll B, Zimmermann H. Low-power 600 MHz comparator for 0.5 V supply voltage in 0.12 μm CMOS. IEEE Electron Lett. 2007 Mar; 43(7):388–90.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.