Total views : 316
Optimization of Seed Surface Sterilization Method and in vitro Seed Germination in Althaea officinalis (L.) - An Important Medicinal Herb
Objectives: The species Althaea officinalis is belong to Malvaceae family; its common name is Marshmallow. In this study an efficient technique has been optimized for sterilization of seed surface and also in vitro germination of seeds. Methods: Effect of different sterilizing agents with various concentrations and duration times as well as different media with various concentrations of sucrose on MGT (mean of germination time), GP (germination percentage), GR (germination rate), NDFG (number of days to first germination), CP (contamination percentage) and length of root and shoot of seedlings were recorded. For each experiment 25 seeds were treated and it was repeated at least three times. Findings: The maximum GP (80.0%) was recorded in sterilized-distilled water for 20 min (control), whereas minimum GP (44.0%) was recorded in experiment using 0.3% mercuric chloride (HgCl2) for 7 min. Between seed surface sterilization techniques used, maximum CP was achieved in control (85.33%) and minimum was found in 4% NaOCl (Sodium Hypochlorite), 10 min (13.33%), 0.3% HgCl2 for 7 min (14.66%) and 4% NaOCl for 5 min (17.33%). We compared the measured seed germination values (NDFG, MGT, GR, GP and CP) and among seed surface sterilization methods tested, NaOCl, 5 min has been found to be the best in A. officinalis. In addition, presence of sucrose in germination medium has shown negative effect on seed germination measured values as well seedling development. The effect of different surface sterilization techniques have no significant effect (p ≤ 0.05) on number of days to first germination (NDFG) but these techniques significantly affected (p ≤ 0.05) the other characteristics of seed sterilization. According to ANOVA results we report for the first time the best sterilization method and medium for in vitro seed germination and seedling development in A. officinalis.
Althaea officinalis, Seed Surface Sterilization, Seed Germination.
- Ruphi N, Anis M. Acceleration of Adventitious Shoots by Interaction Between Exogenous Hormone and Adenine Sulphate in Althaea Officinalis L. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2012; 168:1239–55.
- Keller M, Kollmann J. Effects of seed provenance on germination of herbs for agricultural compensation sites. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 1999; 72(1):87–99.
- Ramakrishna N, Lacey J, Smith JE. Effect of surface sterilization, fumigation and gamma irradiation on the microflora and germination of barley seeds. International J Food Microbiology. 1991; 13(1):47–54.
- Balyeri KP, Mbah BN. Surface sterilization and duration of seed storage influenced emergence and seedling quality of African breadfruit (Treculia Africana Decne). African J Biotechnology. 2006; 5(15):1393–6.
- Ellis RH, Roberts EH. The quantification of ageing and survival in orthodox seeds. Seed Sci and Technol. 1981; 9(2):373–409.
- Borzouei A. Partitioning water potential and specific salt effect on seed germination of kochiascoparia. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012; 5(1):1907–9.
- Akbarimehr M, Delshad M, Zamani Z, Abdossi V. Effect of pre-sowing salicylic acid seed treatment on seed germination and growth of greenhouse sweet pepper plants. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(1):3868–71.
- Aninda M, Animesh KD. New plant type mutants in Jute (Corchorus olitorius L.). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(5):543–53.
- Alexander VD, Alexander YN, Yuri VY. Organic nitrogen in soy nutrition. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(27):1–9.
- Jen S, Li Z, Jang JC. Sugars as signaling molecules. Current Opinion in Plant Biology. 1999; 2:410–8.
- Arnd S, Guo-Qing T. The sucrose-cleaving enzymes of plants are crucial for development, growth and carbon partitioning. Trends in Plant Sciences. 1999; 4(10):401–7.
- Xu F, Tan X, Wang Z. Effects of sucrose on germination and seedling development of Brassica napus. International J Biology. 2010; 2(1):150–4.
- - Nathiya S, Pradeepa D, Devasena T, Senthil K. Studies on the effect of sucrose, light and hormones on micropropagation and in vitro flowering of withania somnifera var.jawahar-20. The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences. 2013; 23(5):1391–7.
- Udomdee W, Wen P, Lee CY, Chin SW, Chen FC. Effect of sucrose concentration and seed maturity on in vitro germination of Dendrobium nobile hybrids. Plant Growth Regulation. 2013; 72(3):249–55.
- Jang JC, Sheen J. Sugar sensing in higher plants. Trends Plant Sci. 1997; 115:208–13.
- Yuan K, Wysocka-Diller J. Phytohormone signalling pathways interact with sugars during seed germination and seedling development. Journal of Experimental Botany. 2006; 57(12):3359–67.
- Wenyan Xiao JS, Jyan CJ. The role of hexokinase in plant sugar signal transduction and growth and development. Plant Molecular Biology. 2000; 44:451–61.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.