Total views : 236
FPGA Implementation of SLM Technique for OFDM Communication Systems
Objectives: To investigate Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) and perform peak-to-average power ratio reduction using Selective Mapping(SLM) method. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Mathematical modeling and Matlab simulation of SLM technique for PAPR reduction of the OFDM signal. Verify the result obtained with FPGA implementation using Xilinx Spartan 3 Protoboard XC 3S 400 board and performance comparison with Matlab and FPGA implementation. Findings: PAPR obtained with the FPGA implementation of SLM technique for the case of 4 QAM OFDM signal with 1024 number of subcarriers is 9.8 dB whereas it is 8.9 dB with Matlab simulations. The value obtained with FPGA implementation and Matlab simulation are 2.8 and 3.7 dB less from the original OFDM signal respectively. Application/Improvements: It is widely used in a modern multicarrier high data rate communication system as it requires fewer resources with fast computational capability at the cost of a marginal reduction in the transmission data rate.
FPGA, OFDM, PAPR, QAM, SLM.
- Park DH, Song HK. A new PAPR reduction technique of OFDM system with nonlinear high power amplifier.IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics. 2007; 53(2):327–32.
- Shaiq PM, Saurabh, Krishan G. Hybrid technique for BER and paper analysis of OFDM systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 Apr; 9(15):1–5.
- Gayathri S, Sabitha R. Multi-level queue based resource allocation in downlink of OFDMA wireless cellular networks.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016Mar; 9(10):1–6.
- Kannan T, Krishnakumar T, Karthikeyan M, Selvakumar K. A STUDY on QOS improvement using MIMO-OFDM technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Sep;9(35):1–4.
- Han SH,Lee JH. An overview of peak-to-average power ratio reduction techniques for multicarrier transmission.IEEE Wireless Communications. 2006;12(2):56–65.
- Proakis JG. Digital Communications. McGraw-Hill, New York, USA; 2000.
- Nee RV, Prasad R. OFDM for wireless multimedia communications.Artech House Publishers: Norwood, MA, USA; 2000.
- Prasad R. OFDM for wireless communications systems.Artech House Publishers, Norwood: MA, USA; 2004.
- Hara S, Prasad R.Multicarrier techniques for 4G mobile communications. Artech House Publishers: Norwood, MA, USA; 2003.
- Cho YS, Kim J, Yang WY,Kang CG. MIMO- OFDM wireless communications with Matlab. IEEE Press, John Wiley and Sons (Asia) Pvt. Ltd; 2010.
- Aanchal J,Lavish K. Performance assessment of OFDM utilizing FFT/DWT over Ricianchannel effected by CFO.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016Mar, 9(12):1–7.
- Bguml RW, Fischer RFH,Huber JB. Reducing the peak-toaverage power ratio of multicarrier modulation by selected mapping. Electronics Letters.1996;32(22):2056–7.
- WangC.L, Ku SJ,Yang CJ. A low-complexity PAPR estimation scheme for OFDM signals and its application to SLM-based PAPR reduction. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing. 2010;4(3):637–45.
- Goff S,Le Y, Khoo BK, Tsimenidis CC, Sharif BS. A novel selected mapping technique for PAPR reduction in OFDM systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications.2008;56(11):1775–9.
- Bansode RS, Mishra BK, Temrikar A. Design, simulation andperformance evaluation of OFDM system to reduce PAPR using SLM and LCM with FPGA. Global Journal of Researches in Engineering Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 201313(15).
- Kamdar B, Shah D,Sorathia S. Hardware implementation of PAPR reduction scheme for OFDM system. IEEE Conference ICCICT, Mumbai; 2012. p. 1–3.
- Mohammady S, Sidek RM, Varahram P, Hamidon MN, Salaiman N. FPGA implementation of the proposed DSISLM scheme for PAPR reduction in OFDM systems. IEEE 17th Asia Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC2011), Malaysia; 2011. p.484–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.