Total views : 245
Preliminary Study on Teamwork Communications in the Healthcare Sector: A Perspective of Electronic Clinical Pathways
Background/Objectives: This paper aims to examine the current situation of teamwork communications in Jordan, verify the existing problems, and to provide the electronic Clinical Pathways as a solution. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A mixed method approach was adopted to verify if any functions of electronic Clinical Pathways were implemented. At first, the ten physicians were interviewed to check if there is any computerized system to support teamwork communications. Secondly, a survey was conducted across physicians and nurses. Finally, the functions of electronic Clinical Pathways were examined by applying Multivariate method (SPSS v. 19). Findings: It was found that both the functions of Clinical Pathways and a support system for teamwork communications were not at all implemented. In other words, the element of teamwork communications is entirely missing in the recent Health Information Systems (HISs). Electronic Clinical Pathways is chosen as the communication tool due to its inherent ability to improve healthcare quality and concurrently reduces the cost of implementation.
Electronic Clinical Pathways, Healthcare, Preliminary Study, Teamwork Communication.
- Yao W, Kumar A. In Integrating clinical pathways into CDSS using context and rules: a case study in heart disease, Proceedings of the 2nd ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium, ACM. 2012; 611–20.
- AlSalamah H, Gray A, Morrey D. Mapping the integrated care pathway into bpm for health case management. In S-BPM ONE-Education and Industrial Developments, Springer. 2012; 106–20.
- Kavitha R, Kannan E, Kotteswaran S. Implementation of Cloud based Electronic Health Record (EHR) for Indian Healthcare Needs. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(3).
- Toussaint PJ, Coiera E. Supporting communication in health care. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2005; 74(10):779–81.
- Parker J, Coiera E. Improving clinical communication. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2000; 7 (5):453–61.
- Choi K, Kim J. Analysis of the Efficiency of the U-Healthcare Industry. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8 (S7):471–81.
- Coiera E. Communication systems in healthcare. Clinical Biochemist Reviews. 2006; 27(2):89.
- Jang J.-H, Park Y-D, Kim J-H, Kim E-J. Clinical Predictors Related to Oral Health-Related Quality of Life (OHRQoL) in Korean Elderly for Visiting Oral Healthcare. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(25).
- DelliFraine JL, Langabeer II JR. An institutional perspective on quality initiatives: evidence beyond manufacturing. International Journal of Information Systems and Change Management. 2009; 4(1):3–14.
- Lisha lo M. Teamwork and CommuniCaTion in HealTHCare. Canadian Patient Safety Institute. 2011.
- Vanhaecht K. The impact of Clinical Pathways on the organisation of care processes. 2007.
- Li W, Liu K, Yang H, Yu C. Integrated clinical pathway management for medical quality improvement–based on a semiotically inspired systems architecture. European Journal of Information Systems. 2013.
- Deneckere S, Euwema M, Van Herck P, Lodewijckx C, Panella M, Sermeus W, Vanhaecht K. Care pathways lead to better teamwork: Results of a systematic review. Social Science and Medicine. 2012; 75(2):264–8. Doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.02.060.
- De Bleser L, Depreitere R, WAELE KD, Vanhaecht K, Vlayen J, Sermeus W. Defining pathways. Journal of Nursing Management. 2006; 14(7):553–63.
- Mater W, Ibrahim R. Standard processes of electronic clinical pathways that support decision making and teamwork communication. Science International. 2014; 26(3).
- Al-Salamah H, Gray A, Allam O, Morrey D. In Change management along the integrated care pathway (icp), Evaluation and implementation of e-health and health information initiatiatives: international perspektives (PA Bath, G. Petersson, and T. Steinschaden, eds.),(Kalmar, Sweden), The 14th International Symposium for Health Information Management Research (iSHIMR), University of Kalmar, 2009.
- Salas E, King HB, Rosen MA. Improving teamwork and safety: Toward a practical systems approach, a commentary on Deneckere et al. Social Science and Medicine. 2012; 75(6):986–9.
- Wakamiya S, Yamauchi K. What are the standard functions of electronic clinical pathways? International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2009; 78(8):543–50. Doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2009.03.003.
- Zhen H, Jing-song L, Hai-yan Y, Xiao-guang Z, Suzuki M, Araki K. In Modeling of Clinical Pathways based on Ontology, IEEE International Symposium on IT in Medicine and Education, 2009. ITIME’09, IEEE. 2009; 1170–4.
- Jiang H, Wang H-Q, Zhang H-l, Li P-F, Li J-S. In Modeling for the semantic integration of Clinical Pathways with related medical systems, 2012 International Symposium on Information Technology in Medicine and Education (ITME), IEEE. 2012; 641–4.
- Mater W, Ibrahim R. Factors Supporting Teamwork Communication In Clinical Pathways: Systematic Literature Review. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2015; 81(3).
- Lenz R, Blaser R, Beyer M, Heger O, Biber C, Baumlein M, Schnabel M. IT support for clinical pathways—Lessons learned. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2007; 76:S397–402. Doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2007.04.012.
- Alkraiji A. Issues of the adoption of HIT related standards at the decision-making stage of six tertiary healthcare organisations in Saudi Arabia. © Abdullah Ibrahim Alkraiji, 2012.
- Gattnar E, Ekinci O, Detschew V. In Clinical Process Modeling and Performance Measurement in Hospitals, 2011 15th IEEE International on Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference Workshops (EDOCW), IEEE. 2011. p. 132–40.
- Rotter T. Clinical pathways in hospitals: Evaluating effects and costs. University Medical Centre Mannheim, 2013.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.