Total views : 258
Optimization of Heat Transfer Coefficient during Condensation of Refrigerant inside Plain Horizontal Tube using Teaching-Learning based Optimization Algorithm
Objectives: To predict the optimum value of heat transfer coefficient during condensation of refrigerant inside a smooth horizontal tube using Teaching-Learning based Optimization Algorithm. Methods: Refrigerant vapor quality and mass flux are considered as variables. An objective function is formulated based on the Shah’s correlation for heat transfer coefficient. The optimal results predicted by Teaching-Learning based Optimization Algorithm are validated with experimental data. Results: Refrigerant mass flux and vapor quality are varied from 100 to 500 kg/m2s and 0.1 to 0.9 respectively. The optimal value of heat transfer coefficient, refrigerant mass flux and vapor quality predicted by the algorithm are 7.56 kW/m2K, 493 kg/m2s and 0.87, respectively. Conclusions: The Teaching-Learning based Optimization Technique is capable of predicting the optimal set of values for different design and operating parameters.
Condensation, Heat Transfer Coefficient, Refrigerant, Teaching-Learning based Optimization.
- Sepher S, Hajabdollahi H. Multi-objective optimization of shell and tube heat exchanger. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2010; 30(14-15):1937–45
- Ahmadi P, Hajabdollahi H, Dincer I. Thermo economic optimization of a shell and tube condenser using both Genetic Algorithm and particle swarm. International Journal of Refrigeration. 2011; 34(4):1066–76.
- Kumar A, Layek A. A meta-heuristic approach for optimization of thermal performance of a smooth solar air heater. International Conference on Advance in Production and Industrial Engineering; NIT Tiruchirappalli, India. 2015. p. 10–6.
- Patel V, Savsani V. Optimization of a plate-fin heat exchanger design through an improved multi-objective Teaching-Learning based Optimization Algorithm. Chemical Engineering Research and Design. 2014; 92(11):2371–82.
- Rao RV, Patel V. Multi-objective optimization of heat exchangers using a modified Teaching-Learning based Optimization Algorithm. Applied Mathematical Modeling. 2013; 37(3):1147–62.
- Balcilar M, Dalkilic AS, Wongwises S. Investigation of empirical correlation on the determination of condensation heat transfer characteristics during downward annular flow of R-134a inside a vertical smooth tube using artificial intelligence algorithm. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2011; 25:2683–701.
- Balcilar M, Aroonrat K, Dalkilic AS, Wongwises S. A numerical correlation development study for the determination of Nusselt number during boiling and condensation of R-134a inside smooth and corrugated tubes. International Communication in Heat and Mass Transfer. 2013; 48:141–8.
- Moghaddam AJ, Saedodin S. Entropy generation minimization of pin fin heat sinks by means of meta-heuristic methods. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(7):4886–92.
- Jafari M, Salarian H, Bazrafshan J. Study on entropy generation of multi-stream plate fin heat exchanger with use of changing variables thermodynamic and fluids flow rate between plates and provide an optimal model. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(7):1–7.
- Rao RV, Savsani VJ, Vakharia DP. Teaching-Learning based Optimization: A novel method for constrained mechanical design optimization problems. Computer Aided Design. 2011; 43(3):303–15.
- Crepinsek M, Liu SH, Mernik L. A note on Teaching-Learning based Optimization Algorithm. Information Sciences. 201; 212:79–93.
- Rao RV, Savsani VJ, Vakharia DP. Teaching-Learning based Optimization: An optimization method for non-linear large scale problem. Information Sciences. 2012; 183(1):1–15.
- Xing F, Xu J, Xie J, Liu H, Wang HLZ, Ma X. Froude number dominates condensation heat transfer of R-245fa in tubes: Effect of inclination angles. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. 2015; 71:98–115.
- Shah MM. An improved and extended general correlation for heat transfer during condensation in plain tubes. HVAC&R Res. 2009; 15(5):889–91.
- Shrivastava R, Varma A, Kumar R, Mohanty B. Prediction of condensation heat transfer coefficient inside a plain horizontal tube. International Journal of Heat Mass Exchange. 2007; 8:139–50.
- Azer NZ, Abis LV, Soliman HM. Local heat transfer coefficient during annular flow condensation. ASHRAE Transaction. 1972; 78(2):135–43.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.