Total views : 295
Effects of Different Color Models in Hand Gesture Recognition
Objectives: This paper presents a comparative analysis between different color models (YCrCb, YUV, HSV, CIE L*a*b*, and CIE L*u*v*) for hand gesture recognition task by extracting skin-color of index 31-35 on Von Luschan's chromatic scale. Methods/Statistical Analysis: An eight step algorithm is proposed for comparing different color models, which is simple so as to run in real-time and is kept same for all the color models. Only the threshold for extracting skin-color is different for all the color models to extract the desired region. Morphology operations are used to remove noise and Contour and Convex Hull technique is used to extract desired features. Test data was generated using 16 users and each user performed 2 sequences of 6 different gestures for every color model giving a total of 5760 test data points. Accuracy Percentage, False Positive Rate (FPR) and True Positive Rate (TPR) are used to evaluate color models. Findings: Since the options are several, it becomes crucial which color space to use. In this paper, we have analyzed which color space can most accurately preserve the hand shape and recognize it for skin color of index 31-35 on Von Luschan's chromatic scale. Experimental results have shown that the CIE L*a*b* and YCrCb color space are the most versatile in different environment settings with 73.9% and 71.5% accuracy, respectively. CIE L*a*b* and CIE L*u*v*are found to have highest TPR and HSV had lowest FPR. Whereas YCrCb and YUV are better than HSV in terms of TPR and not so good compared to CIE L*a*b* and CIE L*u*v*. Also YCrCb and YUV have lesser FPR than CIE L*a*b* and CIE L*u*v* but higher than HSV. These findings will help the researchers of the field of Human-Computer Interaction to select appropriate color-model for specific applications. This paper proposed an algorithm that can be improved to include complex gestures for evaluation. Improvements: Algorithm developed for evaluation can be modified to use machine learning techniques to allow complex gestures and can be accommodated according to different color models. Also other color models can also be included to perform exhaustive evaluation.
Color Models, Color Spaces, Hand Gesture Recognition, Human Computer Interaction, Skin-Color.
- Rautaray SS, Agrawal A. Vision based hand gesture recognition for human computer interaction: a survey. Artificial Intelligence Review, Springer. 2012 Nov; 43 (1):1-54. Available from: Crossref.
- Yeo HS, Lee BG, Lim H. Hand tracking and gesture recognition system for human-computer interaction using lowcost hardware. Springer: Multimedia Tools and Applications. 2013 May; 74(8):2687-715. Available from: Crossref
- Kaur G, Bathla G. Hand gesture recognition based on Invariant Features and Artificial Neural Network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Nov; 9(43):1-6. Available from: Crossref.
- Chen R, Wang S, Gong L, Liu C. Hand gesture recognition for Human-Computer Interaction using moment invari ants and neural network classifier. Proceedings of ICIRA. 2013; p. 661-67. Available from: Crossref
- Wachs J, Stern H, Edan Y, Gillam M, Feied C, Smith M, Handler J. A Real-Time Hand Gesture Interface for Medical Visualization Applications. Applications of Soft Computing. 2006; p. 153-62. Available from: Crossref
- Reifinger S, Wallhoff N, Ablassmeier M, Poitschke T, Rigoll G. Static and Dynamic Hand-Gesture for Augmented Reality Applications. China: Beijing: HCI International 2007. Proceedings of 12th International Conference. 2007 July; p. 728-37. Available from: Crossref
- Rautaray SS, Agrawal A. Adaptive Hand Gesture Recognition System for Multiple Applications. India: Allahabad: IITM 2013. Proceedings of Second International Conference. 2013 Mar; p. 53-65. Crossref
- Yoon J H, Park J S, Sung M Y. Vision-Based Bare-Hand Gesture Interface for Interactive Augmented Reality Applications. UK: Cambridge: Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Entertainment Computing. 2006 Sep; p. 386-89. Available from: Crossref
- Vasudevan SK, Vivek C, Srivathsan S. An Intelligent Boxing Application through Augmented Reality for two users - Human Computer Interaction attempt. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(34):1-7. Available from: Crossref
- Brockmann C, Muller H. Remote Vision-Based Multi-type Gesture Interaction. Proceedings of 5th International Gesture Workshop. Gesture-Based Communication in HumanComputer Interaction. 2003 Apr; p. 198-209.
- Cote M, Payeur P, Comeau G. Comparative Study of Adaptive Segmentation Techniques for Gesture Analysis in Unconstrained Environments. Italy: Minori: IEEE International Workshop on Imaging, Systems and Techniques. 2006; p. 28-33. Available from: Crossref
- Okkonen MA, Kellokumpu V, Pietikainen M, Heikkila J. A Visual System for Hand Gesture Recognition in HumanComputer Interaction. Denmark: Aalborg: Proceedings of 15th Scandinavian Conference SCIA 2007. 2007 Jun; p. 709-18. Available from: Crossref
- Zhao S, Tan W, Wen S, Liu Y. An Improved Algorithm of Hand Gesture Recognition under Intricate Background. China: Wuhan: Proceedings of ICIRA 2008. 2008 Oct; p. 786-94. Crossref
- Bergh MV, Bosche F, Koller-Meier, Gool LV. Haarlet-based Hand Gesture Recognition for 3D Interaction. USA: Snowbird, Utah: Proceedings of IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision. WACV 2009. 2010 Feb.
- Yang Z, Li Y, Zheng Y, Chen W, Zheng X. An Interaction System Using Mixed Hand Gestures. Proceedings of 10th Asia-Pacific conference on Computer human interaction. 2012 Aug; p. 125-32. Available from: Crossref
- Schmugge SJ, Jayaram S, Shin M C, Tsap LV. Objective evaluation of approaches of skin detection using ROC analysis. Journal Computer Vision and Image Understanding. 2007 Jan; 108(1-2):41-51. Available from: Crossref
- Chai D, Ngan K N. Face segmentation using skin-color map in videophone applications. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. 2002Aug; 9(4):551-64. Available from: Crossref
- Singh SK, Chauhan DS, Vatsa M, Singh R. A robust skin color based face detection algorithm. Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering. 2003; 6(4):227-34.
- Mahmoud TM. A new fast skin color detection technique. World Academy of Science. Engineering and Technology. 2003.
- Chromaticity. Date Accessed: 10/10/2016. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromaticity.
- Luminance. Available from: Crossref
- Bradski G, Kaehler A. Learning Open CV: computer vision with OpenCV library, O’Reilly Media. 2008.
- Homma K, Takenaka EI. An image processing method for feature extraction of space-copying lesions. Journal of Nuclear Medicine. 1985 Dec; 26(12):1472-77. PMid:4067646
- Von Luschan Chromatic Scale. Date Accessed: 12/11/2016. Available from: Crossref
- Verma VK, Wankar R, Rao CR, Agarwal A. Hand Gesture Segmentation from Complex Color-Texture Background Image. Thailand: Proceedings of 7th International Workshop on Multi-Disciplinary Trends in Artificial Intelligence. MIWAI 2013. 2013 Dec; p. 281-92. Available from: Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.