Total views : 440
Multi-Objective Optimized Controller for Torque Ripple Minimization of Switched Reluctance Motor Drive System
Background/Objectives: In this paper, BC based optimized PID controller is developed for torque ripple minimization of SRM drive system. The proposed control algorithm comprised two optimized PID controllers for speed error and current error regulation loops of the SRMD control system. The proposed control algorithm is also optimizes the commutation angles for reducing the high torque ripples. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A new control algorithm for Torque Ripple Minimization of Switched Reluctance Motor (SRM) Drive system is proposed. The proposed control algorithm comprised two optimized Proportional, Integral and Derivative (PID) controllers for speed error and current error regulation loops of the SRMD control system. The proposed control algorithm is also optimizes the commutation angles for reducing the high torque ripples. In the proposed optimized controller, Artificial Bees Colony algorithm (ABC) is the optimization algorithm implemented to tune the gains of both PID controllers and commutation angles of the converter circuit. For tuning the accurate gains and angles, the multi objective functions are developed. The effectiveness of the proposed BC algorithm is implemented in the MATLAB/SIMULINK platform. Findings: The proposed control algorithm is based on the optimized PID controller for the speed and the current loops of the SRM drive system. The proposed control algorithm was used to optimize the gain parameters of the PID controller along with the commutation angles of the inverter. Here, the minimization of the error values of speed and torque serves as the objective functions. The advantages of the proposed method are robust performance as well as the increased level of reliability and flexibility in solving more complex problems. Applications/Improvements: The results obtained include superior performance with degradation in torque ripple and settling time. These merits are produced with elitism and a high-speed global search methodology, thus enhancing the dynamic performance of the SRM drives.
Bees Colony Algorithm, PID Controller, SRM Drive, Torque Ripple Minimization.
- Prasad N, Jain S. Simulation of Switched Reluctance Motor for performance analysis using MATLAB/SIMULINK Environment and use of FPGA for its control. International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering. 2012; 1(1):91–8.
- Ho WK, Panda SK, Lim KW, Huang FS. Gain-scheduling control of the switched reluctance motor. International Journal of Control Engineering Practice. 1998 Feb; 6(2):181–9.
- Kumar MK, Murthy GRK, Srinivas Addala SS. Open loop and closed loop performance of Switched Reluctance Motor with various converter topologies. International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive System. 2014; 5(1):83–92.
- Mahendiran TV, Thanushkodi K, Thangam P. Speed control of Switched Reluctance Motor using new hybrid particle swarm optimization. Journal of Computer Science. 2012; 8(9):1473–7.
- Gallegos-Lopez G, Kjaer PC, Miller TJE. A new sensorless method for Switched Reluctance Motor drives. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 1998; 34(4):832–40.
- Nashed MNF, Mahmoud SM, El-Sherif MZ, Abdel-Aliem ES. Hysteresis current control of Switched Reluctance Motor in aircraft applications. International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive System. 2014; 4(3):376–92.
- Sunita C, Srikanth MV. Modeling and analysis of 6/4 Switched Reluctance Motor with torque ripple reduction. IOSR Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 2014; 2(4):37–42.
- Srinivas P, Prasad PVN. Torque ripple minimization of 4 phase 8/6 Switched Reluctance Motor drive with direct instantaneous torque control. International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics. 2011; 3(4):488–97.
- Sedghizadeh S, Lucas C, Ghafoori Fard H. Sensorless speed control of Switched Reluctance Motor drive using the binary observer with online flux-linkage estimation. Iranian Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. 2009; 5(2):143–50.
- Oshaba AS, Ali ES, Abd Elazim SM. Speed control of Switched Reluctance Motor fed by PV system using ant colony optimization algorithm. WSEAS Transactions on Power Systems. 2014; 9:376–87.
- Szabo L, Terec R, Ruba M, Rafajdus P. Detecting and tolerating faults in Switched Reluctance Motors. Universal Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. 2013; 1(2):16–25.
- Tahour A, Meroufel A, Abid H, Aissaoui AG. Sliding controller Of Switched Reluctance Motor. Leonardo Electronic Journal of Practices and Technologies. 2008; 12:151–62.
- Ercument K, Vardarbasi S. Speed control of SR motor by self-tuning fuzzy PI controller with Artificial Neural Network. Sadhana. 2007; 32(5):587–96.
- Hwu KI. Applying Power SYS and simulink to modeling Switched Reluctance Motor. Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering. 2009; 12(4):429–38.
- Wadnerkar VS, Tulasi Ram Das G, Rajkumar AD. Performance analysis of Switched Reluctance Motor; Design, modeling and simulation of 8/6 Switched Reluctance Motor. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2005; 2(3):1118–24.
- Srivastava K, Singh BK, Arya KV, Singh RK. Simulation and modeling of 8/6 Switched Reluctance Motor using digital controller. International Journal of Electronics Engineering. 2011; 3(2):241–6.
- Peter J. Modeling and torque ripple minimization of Switched Reluctance Motor for high speed applications. International Journal of Science and Modern Engineering. 2013; 1(10):15–20.
- Ćalasan MP, Vujicic VP. Characteristics of Switched Reluctance Motor operating in continuous and discontinuous conduction mode. Serbian Journal of Electrical Engineering. 2013; 10(1):47–57.
- Vasquez H, Parker JK. A new simplified mathematical model for a Switched Reluctance Motor in a variable speed pumping application. International Journal of Mechatronics. 2004; 14(9):1055–68.
- Hajatipour M, Farrokhi M. Adaptive intelligent speed control of Switched Reluctance Motors with torque ripple reduction. International Journal of Energy Conversion and Management. 2008; 49(5):1028–38.
- Mirzaeian DB, Parsapoor A, Moallem M, Lucas C. Sensorless speed control of Switched Reluctance Motor using brain emotional learning based intelligent controller. International Journal of Energy Conversion and Management. 2011; 52(1):85–96.
- Mademlis C, Kioskeridis I. Gain-scheduling regulator for high-performance position control of Switched Reluctance Motor drives. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2010; 57(9):2922–31.
- Shun-Chung W, Liu YH. A modified PI-like Fuzzy Logic Controller for Switched Reluctance Motor drives. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2011; 58(5):1812–25.
- Tseng CL, Wang SY, Chien SC, Chang CY. Development of a self-tuning TSK-fuzzy speed control strategy for Switched Reluctance Motor. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2012; 27(4):2141–52.
- Wang SY, Tseng CL, Chien SC. Adaptive fuzzy cerebellar model articulation control for Switched Reluctance Motor drives. IET Electric Power Applications. 2012; 6(3):190–202.
- Hamada Y, Takeda K, Goto R, Kubota H. Hybrid utilization of renewable energy and fuel cells for residential energy systems. Energy and Buildings. 2011; 43(12):3680–4.
- Karaboga D, Basturk B. Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) optimization algorithm for solving constrained optimization problems. Foundations of Fuzzy Logic and Soft Computing. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag; 2007. p. 789–98.
- Anwar MN, Husain I, Radun AV. A comprehensive design methodology for Switched Reluctance Machines. IEEE Transaction and Industrial Applications. 2001; 37(6):1684–92.
- Kumar DD, Meenakshipriya B, Ram SS. Design of PSO based IPD Controller and PID Controller for a Spherical Tank System. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(12):1–5.
- Ram SS, Kumar DD, Meenakshipriya B. Designing of PID Controllers for pH Neutralization Process. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(12):1–5.
- Singh R, Kuchhal P, Choudhury S, Gehlot A. Implementation and evaluation of heating system using PID with genetic algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Mar; 8(5):413–8.
- Meena AR, Kumar SS. Design of GA tuned two-degree freedom of PID controller for an interconnected three area automatic generation control system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jun; 8(12):1–10.
- Devikumari AH, Vijayan V., Decentralized PID controller design for 3x3 multivariable system using heuristic algorithms. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(15):1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.