Total views : 283
Comparative Study of FACTS Devices for Mitigation of Voltage Sag-Swell in Distribution System
Objectives: In this paper, performance comparison of various FACTS devices has been carried out for mitigating voltage sag/swell and also balancing the active and reactive power of the system. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Fuzzy logic controller has been incorporated in shunt and series converter control of FACTS devices. The system stability performance with different FACTS devices has also been studied using Integral of Squared Error (ISE) performance index. Simulation has been carried out in MATLAB/SIMULINK environment. Findings: It has been found that multiline FACTS devices perform better as compared to single line FACTS devices during the voltage compensation and power quality improvement. Application/Improvements: FACTS devices can improve the system performance by controlling the power flow and bus voltages of system and thus maintaining the power system quality and stability.
Distribution System, FACTS, Fuzzy Logic, Power Quality, Voltage Sag, Voltage Swell.
- Sarıbulut L, Tumay M. Simulation Study of Fuzzy Based Unified Power Flow Controller on Power Flow Controlling. Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Power Electronics and Intelligent Transportation System, Guangzhou, China. 2008. p. 411–5.
- Kumar KS, Rao DN. Simulation of Distributed Power Flow Controller for Voltage Sag Compensation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(23):1–5.
- Nodushan MM, Ghadimi AA, Salami A. Voltage sag improvement in radial distribution networks using reconfiguration simultaneous with DG placement. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jul; 6(7):1–8.
- Vinkovic A, Mihalic R. A current-based model of an IPFC for Newton–Raphson power flow. Electric Power Systems Research. 2009 Aug; 79(8):1247–54.
- Musofa M, Pambudy M, Hadi SP, Ali HR. Flower Pollination Algorithm for Optimal Control in Multi-Machine System with GUPFC. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, Yogyakarta, Indonesia. 2014. p. 1–6.
- Fadi M, Albatsh A, Ahmad S, Mekhilef S, Mokhlis H, Hassan MA. D – Q model of Fuzzy based UPFC to control power flow in transmission network. Proceedings of 7th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD). Manchester, England. 2014. p. 1–6.
- Khederzadeh M, Ghorbani A. Impact of VSC-Based Multiline FACTS Controllers on Distance Protection of Transmission Lines. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 2012; 27(1):32–9.
- Fardanesh B, Shperling B, Uzunovic E, Zelingher S. Multi-Converter FACTS Devices: The Generalized Unified Power Flow Controller (GUPFC). Proceedings of IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, Seattle, Washington. 2000; 1020–5.
- Lee SH, Chu CC. Power Flow Computations of Convertible Static Compensators for Large-Scale Power Systems. Proceedings of IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Denver, Colorado. 2004; 1–6.
- Zhang XP. Modelling of the Interline Power Flow Controller and the Generalised Unified Power Flow Controller in Newton Power Flow. Proceedings of IEEE Generation, Transmission and Distribution. 2003; 150(3):268–74.
- Brian K, Johnson J. How FACTS Controllers Function in an AC Transmission System: Series and Combined Multiterminal Controllers. IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition. 2003; 3:959–61.
- Singh A, Surjan BS. Power Quality Improvement Using FACTS Devices: A Review. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology. 2013; 3(2):384–90.
- Singh A, Arora P, Surjan BS. Voltage Sag Mitigation by Fuzzy Controlled DVR. International Journal of Advanced Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 2013; 2(6):93–100.
- Bavitra K, Sinthuja S, Manoharan N. Effective Power Quality Improvement Using Generalised Unified Power Quality Conditioner. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Nov; 7(S7):1–7.
- Fardanesh B. Optimal Utilization, Sizing, and Steady-State Performance Comparison of Multiconverter VSC-Based FACTS Controllers. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 2004; 19(3):1321–7.
- Sun L, Mei S, Lu Q, Ma J. Application of GUPFC in China’s Sichuan Power Grid - Modeling, Control Strategy and Case Study. IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, China. 2003; 1:175–81.
- Sundaram KM, Kumar RS, Krishnakumar C, Sugavanam KR. Fuzzy Logic and Firefly Algorithm based Hybrid System for Energy Efficient Operation of Three Phase Induction Motor Drives. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1):1–5.
- Morsli S, Tayeb A, Mouloud D, Abdelkader C. A robust adaptive fuzzy control of a unified power flow controller. Elec Eng and Comp Sci. 2012; 20(1):87–98.
- Soni YK, Bhatt R. BF-PSO optimized PID Controller design using ISE, IAE, IATE and MSE error criteria. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Engineering and Technology. 2013; 2(7):2333–6.
- Kishnani M, Pareek S, Gupta R. Comparison of Different Performance Index Factor for ABC-PID Controller. International Journal of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. 2014; 7(2):177–82.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.