Total views : 420
Thermal Analysis of Ceramic Coated Aluminum Alloy Piston using Finite Element Method
The objective of this paper is to establish the temperature distributions in plasma sprayed Yttria Stabilized Zirconia (YSZ) and magnesia stabilized zirconia (MgZrO3) thermal barrier coating on an aluminum alloy piston crown to raise the potential of a diesel engine. The influence of ceramic coating thickness on temperature variations are studied by finite element method using ANSYS. The temperature distribution analyses were conducted for the ceramic coating thickness of 0.3 mm over the piston crown surface. The results of the piston coated with two different coatings were analyzed. It is observed that, the peak exterior surface temperature of the ceramic piston with the material MgZrO3 is increased by 32% and 20% for the piston coated with yttria stabilized zirconia compared with conventional aluminum alloy piston. It is concluded that the substrate temperature of the piston coated with MgZrO3 and yttria stabilized zirconia is reduced by 25% and 17% compared with uncoated aluminum alloy piston. The lower substrate surface temperature by coating results in improved heat to work conversion efficiency of the engine.
ANSYS, Finite Element Method, MgZrO3, Thermal Analysis, Yttria Stabilized Zirconia (YSZ).
- Prasad R, Samria NK. Investigation of heat transfer in oil cooled piston with and without ceramic insulation on crown face. International Journal of mechanical science. 2011; 31(10):765–77.
- Karthikeyan B, Srithar K. Performance characteristics of a glow plug assisted low heat rejection diesel engine using ethanol. Applied Energy. 2011; 88(1):323–9.
- Parlak A, Yasar H, Harimoglu C, Kolip A. The effects of injection timing on NOx emissions of a low heat rejection indirect injection diesel engine. Applied thermal Engineering. 2005; 25(17-18):3042–52.
- Hazar H, Ozturk U. The effects of Al2O3-TiO2 coating on a diesel engine on performance and emission of corn oil methyl ester. Renewable Energy. 2010; 35(10):2211–6.
- Vedharaj S, Vallinayagam R, Wang WM, Chow SK. Experimental and Finite element analysis of a coated diesel engine fueled by cashew nut shell liquid biodiesel. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2014; 53:259–68.
- Buyukkaya E, Cerit M. Thermal analysis of a ceramic coating diesel engine piston using 3-d finite element method. Surface and Coating Technology. 2007; 202(2):398–402.
- Hejwowski T, Weronski A. The effect of thermal barrier coating on diesel engine performance. Vaccum. 2002; 65(3-4):427–32.
- Cerit M, Coban M. Temperature and thermal stress analyses of a ceramic coated aluminum alloy piston used in a diesel engine. International Journal of Thermal Sciences. 2014; 77:11–8.
- Heywood JB. Fundamentals of Internal combustion Engines. Tata McGraw Hill (p) Ltd., 2012.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.