Total views : 341
Orbital Cold Forming Technology - Combining High Quality Forming with Cost Effectiveness - A Review
Objectives: This review presents a short communication of cold orbital forging process, its characteristics and compare with classical forging. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Orbital forging have special progressive motion permits the contact space between tool and workpiece to be smaller and thus, lowers forming load and friction. Therefore orbital forming in some cases makes it potential to provide the specified part in exactly one operation, whereas in classical forging quite one operation would be needed. Findings: Cold orbital forming is more useful and preferable in comparison to other manufacturing processes as we can manufacture more number of gears with better surface finish in less time. Thus, cold orbital forming has much higher efficiency. The process is less time consuming and saves labor costs too. Hence, better finished gears can be manufactured in bulk and it also turns out to be more economical than the other manufacturing processes. Current review illuminates the techno economical advantages of the orbital forming process and how advantageous it is over classical forming process. Application/Improvements: This review includes the forming time and distribution of stress and strain on the workpiece and also the die.
Cold Orbital Forging, Conventional Forging, Forming Time.
- Samolyk G. Investigation of the cold orbital forging process of an AlMgSi alloy bevel gear. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2013; 213(10):1692–702.
- Miroslav E, Plancak P, Dragisa Z, Vilotic V, Milentije C, Stefanovic S, Dejan Z, Movrin M, Igor Z, Kacmarcik K. Orbital Forging – A plausible alternative for bulk metal forming. Trends in the Development of Machinery and Associated Technology. 2012; 16(1):63–6.
- Devanathan R, Murali V. Numerical simulation of orbital cold forging of a bevel gear. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2015; 2(2):191–7.
- Hua L, Han X. 3D FE modelling simulation of cold rotary forging of a cylinder workpiece. Materials and Design. 2009; 30(6):2133–42.
- Sheu JJ, Yu CH. The die failure prediction and prevention of the orbital forging process. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2008; 201(1-3):9–13.
- Samołyk G. Studies on stress and strain state in cold orbital forging a AlMgSi alloy flange pin. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials. 2013; 58(4):1183–9.
- Han X, Hua L. Comparison between cold rotary forging and conventional forging. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2009; 23:2668–78.
- Orbital forming technology; Products and Services from Feintool. Fine Blanking Technology, Feintool Technologie Brochure AG. p. 1–11.
- Plancak M, Movrin D, Kamarcik I, Stefanovic M, Skakun P, Vilotic D. Application of net shape and near-net shape forming technologies in manufacture of roller bearing components and cardan shaft. Journal for Technology of Plasticity. 2007; 32:87–103.
- Velu R, Cecil MR. Spike and disc forming test for friction measurement in cold forming of aluminium alloys. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jun; 4(6):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.