Total views : 295
Power Management Strategy for Hybrid Microgrid System under Islanded Condition using Adaptive Droop Control
Background/Objectives: PV array systems are thought of to be a higher possibility among all non-conventional energy sources in distribution system with the features of increasing potency, high responsibility and low maintenance. This paper proposes the concept of energy management for grid connected hybrid system under islanding condition. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: Power management Control strategy used in this paper enables photovoltaic/battery unit as a primary supply that employs an adaptive droop control to share the load with alternative sources such as charging the battery. Additionally, this control technique is intended to switch the PV in operation to match the load demand autonomously whenever the available PV power is beyond the load and also the battery is totally charged. In addition with islanding microgrid conditions, such as voltage and frequency regulation and also power deficit circumstances the battery also provide operational functions with a separate storage unit. Findings: In this paper PV/battery unit is controlled using adaptive droop control to work as voltage supply, in contrast to the control strategy used in photovoltaic system from the literature wherever the Solar units are controlled to work as current controlled sources. Generally, in this system first the hybrid unit delivers power to load and stores in battery if there is any excess power generation. And consequently, in the second case, it will track and supply the most PV power to the microgrid provided that there’s any deficit in load at microgrid. Applications/Improvements: The proposed control strategy is very useful for integration of hybrid power systems with the gird and to meet the upcoming future of the customers.
Adaptive Droop, Control Strategy, Energy Management, Micro-Grid, PV System, State of Charge.
- Asano N, Saga T. PV technology trends and industry’s role. Proceedings IEEE Int Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM). 2008 Dec; 1–6.
- Willeke GP. Progress in industrial crystalline silicon solar PV technology. Proceedings IEEE 33rd Photovoltaic Specialists Conf. 2008 May. p. 1–4.
- Lopes JAP, Moreira CL, Madureira AG. Defining control strategies for microgrids islanded operation. IEEE Trans Power Syst. 2006 May; 21(2):439–49.
- Locment F, Sechilariu M, Houssamo I. DC load and batteries control limitations for photovoltaic systems. Experimental validation. IEEE Trans Power Syst. 2012 Sep; 27(9):4030–8.
- Ongaro F, Saggini S, Mattavelli P. Li-ion battery-supercapacitor hybrid storage system for a long lifetime, photovoltaic-based wireless sensor network. IEEE Trans Power Syst. 2012 Sep; 27(9):3944–52.
- Mahmood H, Michaelson D, Jiang J. Control strategy for a standalone PV/battery hybrid system. Proceedings IEEE Ind Electron Conf. 2012 Oct . p. 3412–8.
- Chiang SJ, Shieh H-J, Chen M-C. Modeling and control of PV charger system with SEPIC converter. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2009 Nov; 56(11):4344–53.
- Omran WA, Kazerani M, Salama MMA. Investigation of methods for reduction of power fluctuations generated from large grid connected photovoltaic systems. IEEE Trans Energy Convers. 2011 Mar; 26(1):318–27.
- Teleke S, Baran ME, Bhattacharya S, Huang AQ. Rule-based control of battery energy storage for dispatching intermittent renewable sources. IEEE Trans Sustainable Energy. 2010 Oct; 1(3):117–24.
- Kim S-K, Jeon J-H, Cho C-H, Ahn J-B, Kwon S-H. Dynamic modeling and control of a grid-connected hybrid generation system with versatile power transfer. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2008 Apr; 55(4):1677–88.
- Beltran H, Bilbao E, Belenguer E, Etxeberria-Otadui I, Rodriguez P. Evaluation of storage energy requirements for constant production in PV power plants. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2013 Mar; 60(3):1225–34.
- Fakham H, Lu D, Francois B. Power control design of a battery charger in a hybrid active PV generator for load-following applications. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2011 Jan; 58(1):85–94.
- Kakimoto N, Satoh H, Takayama S, Nakamura. Ramp-rate control of photovoltaic generator with electric double-layer capacitor. IEEE Trans Energy Convers. 2009 Jun; 24(2):65–473.
- Rodriguez CT, de la Fuente GG, Figuere E, Moreno SJAG. Reconfigurable control scheme for a PV microinverter working in both grid-connected and island modes. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2013 Apr; 60(4):1582–95.
- Rani BI, Ilango GS, Nagamani C. Control strategy for power flow management in a PV system. supplying DC loads. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2013 Aug; 60(8):3185–94.
- Srikanth KS, Mohan TK, Vishnuvardhan P. Improvement of power quality for microgrid using fuzzy based UPQC International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Signals, Communication and Optimization, EESCO. 2015.
- Rao R, Srikanth K. Improvement of power quality using fuzzy logic controller in grid connected photovoltaic cell using UPQC International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive Systems, 2014
- Srikanth KS. A three phase multi level converter for grid connected PV system International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive Systems. 2014.
- Rasheed A, Keshava Rao G. Improvement of Power Quality for Microgrid using Fuzzy based UPQC Controller. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(23), Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i23/70751, ISSN (Print) : 0974-6846, ISSN (Online) : 0974-5645,
- Effatnejad R, Afshari H, Savaghebi M. Modeling and simulation of hybrid system in DC micro-grid based on photovoltaic and energy storage. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(16). Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i16/63711. ISSN (Print): 0974-6846, ISSN (Online): 0974-5645.
- Raju L, Milton RS, Morais AA. Autonomous Energy Management of a Micro-Grid using Multi Agent System. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(13). Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i13/89294, ISSN (Print): 0974-6846, ISSN (Online): 0974-5645
- Ganesh C, Lenin Babu CH, Pavan Kumar K. Adaptive Control and Power Management in a Microgrid by using Distribution Grids. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(30). Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i30/78769, ISSN (Print): 0974-6846, ISSN (Online): 0974-5645
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.