Total views : 126
Numerical Investigation of Local Flexible Membranes Effects on Separated Laminar and Transient Flows
Objectives: The purpose of this study is a numerically investigation of aerodynamic characteristics of NACA0012 and Clark-Y airfoils with Local Flexible Membrane (LFM) in laminar and transient flows respectively. Novelty: A pressure based algorithm using a finite volume element method has been used to solve Navier-Stokes equations and the unique feature of the present method is the physical scheme influencing the convection fluxes at cell surfaces. Method: We have focused on the effects of deformation of the membrane on aerodynamic characteristics. First, we have solved the flow on NACA0012 airfoil in Reynolds number of 5000 and investigated the effects of LFM on aerodynamic coefficients in laminar flow. Then, we have solved the flow over Clark-Y airfoil in Reynolds number of 300000 and studied the effects of LFM in transient flow. To calculate the Reynolds stresses, transient γ - Reθ model has been used. Finding: According to the results, in laminar flow, the LFM prevents flow separation. In transient flow, the membrane by oscillation prevents flow separation, reduces drag coefficients, increases lift coefficients and delays the stall angle.
Clark-Y, Finite Volume Element Method, Fluid-Solid Interaction, Local Flexible Membrane, NACA0012, γ - Reθ model.
- Gabor O, Koreanschi A, Botez R. Low-Speed Aerodynamic Characteristics Improvement of ATR 42 Airfoil using a Morphing Wing Approach. IECON -38th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Montreal, QC, 2012, p. 5451-56.
- Hasegawa H, Kumagai S. Adaptive Separation Control System using Vortex Generator Jets for Time-Varying Flow, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics. 2008; 1(2):9-16.
- Chuijie W, Yanqiong X, Jiezhi W. Fluid Roller Bearing Effect and Flow Control, Acta Mechanica Sinica. 2003; 19(5):47684.
- Curet M, Carrere A, Waldman R, Breuer K. Aerodynamic Characterization of Wing Membrane with Adaptive Compliance.54th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures,Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, 2013.
- Lian Y, Shyy W. Three-Dimensional Fluid-Structure Interactions of a Membrane Wing for Micro Air Vehicle Applications.AIAA Paper. 2003, 1726.
- Lian Y, Shyy W, Viieru D, Zhang B. Membrane Wing Aerodynamics for Micro Air Vehicles, Progress in Aerospace Sciences. 2003; 39(6-7):425-65.
- Gordnier R. High Fidelity Computational Simulation of a Membrane Wing Airfoil, Journal of Fluids and Structures.2009; 25(5):897-917.
- Albertani R, Stanford B, Hubner J, Ifju P. Aerodynamic Coefficients and Deformation Measurements On Flexible Micro Air Vehicle Wings, Experimental Mechanics. 2007; 47(5):625-35.
- Radmanesh M, Nematollahi O, Nili-Ahmadabadi M, Hassanalian M. A Novel Strategy for Designing and Manufacturing a Fixed Wing MAV for the Purpose of Increasing Maneuverability and Stability in Longitudinal Axis, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanic. 2014; 7(3):435-46.
- Rojratsirikul P, Wang Z, Gursul I. Unsteady Fluid–Structure Interactions of Membrane Airfoils at Low Reynolds Numbers, Experiments in Fluids. 2009; 46:859-72.
- Shyy W, Klevebring F, Nilsson M, Sloan J, Carroll B, Fuentes C. Rigid and Flexible Low Reynolds Number Airfoils. 1999; 36(3):523-29.
- Lee K, Kim J, Kim C. Aerodynamic Effects of Structural Flexibility in Two-Dimensional Insect Flapping Flight, Journal of aircraft. 2011; 48(3):894-909.
- Saboonchi A, Hassanpour S. Heat Transfer Analysis of HotRolled Coils in Multi-Stack Storing, Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2007; 182(1-3):101-06.
- Pern N, Jacob J. Wake Vortex Mitigation using Adaptive Airfoils - The Piezoelectric Arc Airfoil, AIAA, Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 37th, Reno, NV, 1999.
- Chimakurthi S, Tang J, Palacios R, Cesnik S, Shyy W.Computational Aeroelasticity Framework for Analyzing Flapping Wing Micro Air Vehicles, AIAA Journal. 2009; 47(8):1865-78.
- Kang W, Zhang J, Feng P. Aerodynamic Analysis of a Localized Flexible Airfoil at Low Reynolds Numbers, Communications in Computational Physics. 2012; 11(4):1300-10.
- Heydari M, Khosh Konesh A. The Comparison of the Performance of Prandtl Mixing Length, Turbulence Kinetic Energy, K-e, RNG and LES Turbulence Models in Simulation of the Positive Wave Motion Caused by Dam Break on the Erodible Bed, Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 Feb; 9(7):1-33.
- Suguna R, Jalaja S, Pradeep M, Senthil Kumar R, Srikrishna Kumar S, Sugavanam K. Transient Stability Improvement using Shunt and Series Compensators, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(11):1-11.
- Sundaram MS, Kumar R, Mallikarjun K. Approaches for Transient Fault Tolerance in Multiprocessor - A State of Art, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 July; 8(15):1-9.
- Yunusa G, Kassim A, Gofar N. Effect of Surface Flux Boundary Conditions on Transient Suction Distribution in Homogeneous Slope, Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2014 Jan; 7(12):1-12.
- Langtry R, Gola J, Menter F. Predicting 2D Airfoil and 3D Wind Turbine Rotor Performance using a Transition Model for General CFD Codes. AIAA paper. 2006, p. 395.
- Langtry R, Menter F. Correlation-based Transition Modeling for Unstructured Parallelized Computational Fluid Dynamics Codes, AIAA Journal. 2009; 47(12):2894-906.
- Blumer C, Van Driest E. Boundary Layer TransitionFreestream Turbulence and Pressure Gradient Effects, AIAA Journal. 1963; 1(6):1303-06.
- Darbandi M, Taeibi-Rahni M, Naderi A. Firm Structure of the Separated Turbulent Shear Layer Behind Modified Backward-Facing Step Geometries, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow. 2006; 16(7):803-26.
- Naderi A, Darbandi M, Taeibi-Rahni M. Developing a Unified FVE‐ALE Approach to Solve Unsteady Fluid Flow with Moving Boundaries, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids; 2010; 63(1):40-68.
- Lei P, Zhang J, Kang W, Wang L. Unsteady Flow Separation and High Performance of Airfoil with Local Flexible Structure at Low Reynolds Number, Communications in Computational Physics. 2014; 16:699-717.
- Piccirillo A. The Clark Y Airfoil - A Historical Retrospective.SAE/AIAA paper 2000-01-5517, Presented at the World Aviation Congress and Exposition. 10 Oct 2000.
- Marchman J, Werme T, Clark-Y Airfoil Performance at Low Reynolds Numbers, AIAA 22nd Aerospace Science Meeting, 1984.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.