Total views : 734
A Proposed Solution to the Problem of Construction Industry Overruns: Lean Construction Techniques and Linear Programming
Background: This paper will suggest that combined strategy of Lean Construction techniques with Linear Programming as a possible solution to the problem of overruns in construction work. It will seek to examine how a combination of Lean Construction techniques and a base software model of Linear Programming can apply to a construction project at the initial and intermediate planning stage to overcome challenges related to project overruns. Based on a literature review and data collection it will investigate if the combination of Lean Construction techniques and Linear Programming could result in time and cost assurances in a construction project. Objective: To investigate to what extent a combination strategy of Lean Construction principles and Linear Programming could help solve the problem of overruns in time and costs in construction. Analysis: The research work deals with the application of lean construction principles such as Last planner system Just in time etc. at the first part of the project and then the second part introduces formation of linear programming model base on the output of first part. The collective result of the combination is then measured. Expected Findings: Time and Cost overrun can be easily overcome through applying the combination of Lean construction techniques, and linear programming was implemented. Project planning and scheduling can be improved in the early phase of the project, which helps to avoid delays and failure of project occurring at a later stage. Improvement: The combination of both is never used in the construction industry so far, so this project gives initial strategy to do so for small scale construction project first, and after successful implementation, it can be applied to the large scale construction project.
Lean Construction, Linear Programming, Planning and Scheduling, Time Cost Trade–Off.
- Canonico P, Soderlund J. The Sydney opera house: Stakeholder management and project success; 2009. p. 1-40.
- Huang XC, Huang G. Why sino iron project fails? A Perspective of Liability of Foreignness. 2013 Sep 25-27. p. 1-14.
- Chidambaram R, Potty NS. Qualitative analysis of Time delay and Cost overrun in multiple design and building projects; 2014 Feb 4-5. p. 1-5.
- Desale D. Lean six sigma principal in construction: A literature review related to abstract. 2013 Nov 12 - Oct 13; 2(2):133-39.
- Chantal C, Cantarelli, BF, Molin EJE, Wee BV. Cost overruns in Large-Scale Transportation Infrastructure Projects. Explanations and Their Theoretical Embeddedness. 2010 Mar 1; 10(1):5-18.
- Hoai LL, Lee YD, Lee JY. Delay and Cost Overruns in Vietnam Large Construction Projects: A Comparison with Other Selected Countries. 2008 Nov;12(6):367-77.
- Al-sweity AY. Unethical conduct among professionals in construction industry; 2013 Apr. p. 1-15.
- James OD, Lekan AM, Oloke OC, Olusanya O, Olayeni TP, Owolabidele, Joy P, Omuhignatious. Causes and effects of delay on project construction delivery time. 2014 April; 2(4):1-12.
- Akannia PO, Oke AE, Akpomiemie OA. Impact of environmental factors on building project performance in Delta State, Nigeria. 2015 Apr; 11(1):91-97.
- Akram S, Cavallini C. Manual-Delays and disruptions in construction project; 2010. p. 1-132.
- Yates JK. Global Engineering and construction; 2007 Apr 10.
- Asri N. Actualizing leaan construction:Barriers towards the implementation. 2015 Apr; 9(5):172-74.
- Liu SS, Wang C-J. Optimization model for resource assignment problems of linear construction projects. 2007 July; 16(4):460-73.
- Thessaloniki. Kaizen defination and principles in brief; 2006.
- Gonzalez J. Using fuzzy mathematical models for construction project scheduling with time cost and material restrictions; 2007 June. p. 1-171.
- Yang JB, K.-MH, Chen C, Liu SC. Implementing schedule delay analysis methodology on project management system; 2012,11. p. 84-90.
- Song L, Liang D, Javkhedkar A. A Case Study on Applying Lean Construction to Concrete Construction Projects; 2008. p. 1-12.
- Elmabrouk OM. A Linear Programming Technique for the Optimization of the Activities in Maintenance Projects. 2001; 11(1):1-16.
- Green SD. The dark side of lean construction-Exploitation and ideology; 1999. p. 1-12.
- Naslund D. Lean, Six Sigma and Lean Sigma:Fads or real process improvement methods? Buisness Process Management Journal. 2008; 14(3):269-87.
- Abdelhamid TS. Six-Sigma in lean construction industry: Opportunities and challenges; 2012. p. 1-15.
- Pasquire C, Daniel E, Dickens G. Scoping study to define a major research project investigating the implementation of last planner system,collaborative planning and collaborative working in the UK road transport sector including identifying funding sources. .United Kingdom; 2015 Mar. p. 1-43.
- Dineshkumar B, Dhivyamenaga T. Study on lean Principle Application in Construction Industries. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1-5.
- Gohar S, Khanzadi M, Farmani M. Identifying and Evaluating Risks of Construction Project in Fuzzy Enviornment: A Case Study of Iranian Construction Industry. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Nov; 5(11):1-10.
- Seymour D. Lean construction towards an agenda for research into systems and organisation; 1999. p. 1-18.
- Pimentelb PSF, Pimentelb BR. A linear programming model for cash flow management in the Brazilian construction industry. 2001; 19(5):469-79.
- Chapman. Resolving Problems and Disputes on Construction Projects: Tackling Contract Performance Delays; 2014 Apr 30.
- Srour IM, Haas CT, Morton ADP. Linear Programming Approach to Optimize Strategic Investment in the Construction Workforce; 2006. p. 1-19.
- Afshar A, Ehsan ER, Abbasni A. Optimization of uncertain construction time-cost trade-off problem; 2008 Aug 4-5. p.1-9.
- Reyck RLBD. Project Scheduling with Success or Failure in Individual Activities; 2007. p. 1-4.
- Heydari M, Othman F, Qaderi K, Noori M, Pasa AS. Introduction to Linear Programming as a popular tool in optimal reservior operation,a review. American Eurasian Network for Scientific Information. 2015; 9(3):1-11.
- Acharya NK, Kim SY, Lee YD. Factors affecting timely completion of construction projects. Proceedings of the Fifth Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems Conference; 2004. p. 2241-413.
- Mulla SS, Waghmare AP. A Study of Factors Caused for Time and Cost Overruns in Construction Project and their Remedial Measures. 2015 Jan; 5(1):48-53.
- Arcila SG. Avoiding cost overrun in construction projects in United Kingdom; 2012 Aug. p. 1-152.
- Rajprasad J, Samin S, Babu S. A Study and Application of Lean Construction Techniques Using Last Planner Concept in Residential Building. 2014; 2(3):1-7.
- Morris S. Time cost overrun in Indian construction industry. 1990 Nov; 24(47):1-51.
- Sarosh S. Reducing project time by using linear programming; 2010. p. 1-15.
- Hashem MS, Mehany M. Lean Construction Principles Past and Present – A Business Model Consistency; 2015. p. 1-7.
- Hussain SMAM, Krishna BV, Kumar, Kumar VR. Application and analysis of last planner system in the construction industry. 2014 June; 2(6):33-44.
- Salem O, Solomon J, Genaidy A, Luegring M. Site Implementation and Assessment of Lean Construction Techniques; 2005. p. 1-58.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.