Total views : 244
Correlated Block Quad-Tree Segmented and DCT based Scheme for Color Image Compression
Background/Objectives: This paper presents a color image compression method to increase the compression ratio without affecting the original scene by noise or distortion. Methods/Analysis: In this paper an attempt to minimize data loss without highly affect the compression ratio by employing low lossy rate quad-tree compression technique to increase the correlation between pixels that will enhance DCT results and also compress the data before DCT phase, using Quantization and entropy encoders such as run length encoding and shift encoding will further compress the image. Finding: For conducted six different visual information images, the Compression Ratio (CR) results of the proposed method on average to be around 1:29 of the size of the original image, more compression ratio can be achieved by increasing the compression levels, this high compression ratio is considered a best ratio compared with the achieved Peak Signal to Noise Ratio (PSNR) of the decompressed-compressed image. Application/Improvements: This compression system can be used in Storing or Transforming Color Images due to its high compression ratio while the noise and distortion still as minimum as possible.
Color Image Compression, Discrete Cosine Transformation, Quad-Tree, Quantization, Run Length Encoding, Shift Encoding.
- Salomon D. Handbook of data compression. 5th ed. Springer; 2010.
- Salomon D. Data compression: The complete reference. 4th ed. Springer; 2006.
- Sayood K. Introduction to data compression. 4th ed. Morgan Kaufmann; 2012.
- Zhao D, Gao W, Chan YK. Morphological representation of DCT coefficients for image compression. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. 2002 Sep; 12(9):819–23.
- Farhadi G. A hybrid image compression scheme using block-based fractal coding and DCT. 4th EURASIP Conference focused on Video/Image Processing and Multimedia Communications; 2003. p. 89–94.
- Song HX, Guizhong L, Yang YZ. Embedded quadtree-based image compression in DCT domain. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, (ICASSP '03); 2003; p. 277–80.
- Zeng B, Fu J. Directional discrete cosine transforms- A new framework for image coding. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. 2008 Mar; 18(3):305–13.
- Ding JJ, Huang YW, Lin PY, Pei SC, Chen HH, Wang YH. Two-dimensional orthogonal DCT expansion in trapezoid and triangular blocks and modified JPEG image compression. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2013 Sep; 22(9):3664–75.
- Mohta J, Pathak KK. Image compression and gamma correction using DCT. International Conference on Futuristic Trends on Computational Analysis and Knowledge Management (ABLAZE); Noida. 2015. p. 322–6.
- Britanak V, Yip PC, Rao KR. Discrete cosine and sine transforms: general properties. Fast Algorithms and Integer Approximations. 1st ed. Academic Press; 2006.
- Rao KR, Yip P. Discrete cosine transform – algorithms, advantages, applications. Academic Press, Inc; 1990.
- Chen WL, Hu YC, Liu KY, Wen CH. Variable-rate quadtree-segmented block truncation coding for color image compression. International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition. 2014; 7(1):65–77.
- Markast T, Reif J. Quad tree structures for image compression applications. Information Processing and Management. 1992; 28(6):707–21.
- Premaladha J, Priya ML, Sujitha S, Ravichandran KS. A survey on color image segmentation techniques for melanoma diagnosis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(22):1–6.
- Robinson AH, Cherry C. Results of a prototype television bandwidth compression scheme. Proceedings of the IEEE. 1967 Mar; 55(3):356–64.
- Hashim AT, George LE. Secret image sharing based on transform coding. Lap Lambert; 2014.
- Coding of moving pictures and associated audio for digital storage media at up to about 1.5 Mbit/s. ISO/IEC 11172-2: Video; 1991 Nov.
- Wackerly DD. Mathematical statistics with applications. Thomson Brooks/Cole; 2008.
- Huynh-Thu Q. Scope of validity of PSNR in image/video quality assessment. Electronics Letters. 2008; 44(13):800–1.
- Poynton CA. Digital video and HD: Algorithms and interfaces. Elsevier; 2012.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.