Total views : 199
Nitrate and Chromium Contamination in Groundwater from Effluent of Tanneries and Drastic Vulnerability Index Map – A Case Study of Ranipet area, Vellore District, Tamilnadu
Objectives: To determine the chromium and nitrate pollutants in groundwater and combined with DRASTIC Maps. Methods/ Statistical analysis: Thirty five groundwater samples taken from bore and open wells are collected and analyzed by physicchemical parameter and heavy metals. This groundwater quality data are interconnected with DRASTIC features. Findings: From the water quality data, found two major pollutants namely chromium and nitrate due to the presence of tannery industries in the study area causing human health, animals, plants and skin diseases. Using seven features, we assigned three categories such as ranges, ratings and weight to find out DRASTIC index maps ranging from 58 to 699 being very low to very high. These maps are combined with the pollutant values to find out the spatial distribution. Application/Improvements: Fully control the groundwater pollution present in the study area that can be adopted for any suitable remedial measures.
Chromium, DRASTIC Index, GIS (Geographic Information System), Nitrate, Ranipet Area.
- Muhammad AM, Zhonghua T, Dawood AS, Earl B. Original paper Evaluation of local groundwater vulnerability based on DRASTIC index method in Lahore, Pakistan. Geophysical International. 2015 Jan-Mar; 54(1):67-81.
- Pradhan ANB, Pirasteh S, Shafri HZM. Estimating groundwater vulnerability to pollution using a modified DRASTIC Model in the Kermann agricultural area, Iran. Environmental Earth Science. 2013; 71(7):3119_31.
- Bai L, Wang Y, and Meng F. Application of DRASTIC and extension theory in the groundwater vulnerability evaluation. Water and Environment Journal. 2012; 26 (3):381_91.
- Krogulec E. Intrinsic and Specific Vulnerability of Groundwater in a River Valley - Assessment, Verification and Analysis of Uncertainty. Journal of Earth Science and Climatic Change.2013 Aug 2; 4(6):1-12.
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 Help. Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) 2012.
- Martínez-Bastida J, Arauzo M, and Valladolid M. Intrinsic and specific vulnerability of groundwater in central Spain: the risk of nitrate pollution. Hydrogeology Journal. 2010 Nov; 18(3):681_98.
- Gupta N. Groundwater Vulnerability Assessment using DRASTIC Method in Jabalpur District of Madhya Pradesh, International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering. 2014 Jul; 3(3):36 - 43.
- Neukum C, Hotzl H, Himmelsbach T. Validation of Vulnerability Mapping Methods by Field Investigations and Numerical Modeling, Hydrogeology Journal. 2008 Jun; 16(4):641_58.
- Mukherjee NR, Samuel C. Assessment of the Temporal Variations of Surface Water Bodies in and around Chennai using Landsat Imagery. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 May; 9(18):1-7.
- Li X, Zuo R, Teng Y, Wang J, Wang B. Development of Relative Risk Model for Regional Groundwater Risk Assessment: A Case Study in the Lower Liaohe River Plain, China. 2015 May; 10(5).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.