Total views : 409
An Investigative Study of the Mobile Operating System and Handset Preference
Objectives: The primary objective of the study is to identify the factors influencing the handset purchase decision by considering the most commonly applicable factors in the region. There are various parameters range from Mobile operating system to brand of the handset and to features like visual appeal of the product to price of the mobile handset. This research will also discuss the role of branding of mobile operating system and mobile handset to understand which one is the most decisive factor in purchase decision in current times. With branding requirement of customers the study will also establish the role of loyalty in the handset arena. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To collect the data a structured questionnaire was used to personally interview the mobile users of Delhi/NCR region. The sample consisted of almost equal no of male and female respondents; 88 male (50.3%) and 87(49.7%) female. Independent t-test and ANOVA were used to examined whether the means of two or more groups, were statistically different from each other on the parameters such as Influencing factors of Handset purchase decision and perception on various aspects of mobile operating systems. Findings: Results shows that, there is a clear sign of the shift in mobile handset market, users are swiftly shifting from traditional Symbian mobile OS to a more user friendly interface. The users in India are willing to spend Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000 for them the look and feel of the handset is still an important aspect along with features but, the concept of mobile handset loyalty is diminishing. The concept of loyalty is not limited to just mobile handset arena it covers the mobile OS as well. As per the findings less than 30% would stay with their present mobile OS. When considering the demographic perceptions of influencing factors in mobile purchasing decisions some significant differences have appeared in the study which may offer a marketer with insight and understanding of what offering is to be delivered to whom. Applications/ Improvements: Brands must realize that marketing promotions are playing fewer roles in consumer attraction as many consumers purchase handsets based on their opinion of mobile OS or mobile handset. As highly qualified people prefer handset brands, manufacturers may work towards this area of branding as it implicates trust, reliability and a reduced psychological risk. Considering the mobile features it is becoming highly essential for younger generation to stay connected on the go, this requires a handset with all the essential connectivity tools like Wi-Fi network, instant messaging, social networking, web browser all along with one of the most essential component of a mobile ‘The Camera’.
Mobile Technology, Mobile Handset, Mobile Operation System, Mobile Loyalty.
- Arif MS. Relationship between customers’ perceived values, satisfaction and loyalty of mobile phone users. Rev Integrative Business and Economics. 2012; 1(1):126–35.
- Karjaluoto H, Lehto H, Leppaniemi M, Jayawardhena C. Exploring gender influence on customer's intention to engage permission‐based mobile marketing. Electronic markets. 2008; 18(3):242–59.
- Singh J, Goyal BB. Mobile handset buying behavior of different age and gender groups. International Journal of Business and Management. 2009; 4(5):179.
- CMR. Cyber media research India mobile handsets usage and satisfaction study 2011 reveals 64% users happy with mobile handset brand performance. Cyber Media Research. Available from: http://cmrindia.com/cmrs-india-mobile-handsets-usage-and-satisfaction-study-2011-reveals-64-users-happy-with-mobile-handset-brand-performance/
- TOI. Best phones technology. Available from: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/itslideshow/6519091.cms
- New technology. Top 10 mobile phones in India 2016 with price updated. Latest Tech News. Available from: http://www.newtechnology.co.in/top-10-mobile-phones-in-india/
- 91mobiles.com. Top Mobile Brands; 2013, Jan 1. Available from: http://www.91mobiles.com
- Vadlamani S. Top 10 mobile OS India-Android 5th. Available from: http://trak.in/tags/business/2011/07/14/top-10-mobile-os-india/
- Sinha A. Po2012 recap: The year mobile internet in India. Available from: http://www.nextbigwhat.com/2012-recap-the-year-mobile-internet-surpassed-desktop-internet-in-india-297/popular_mobile_os_in_india/#simpleAuthor
- ZeeBiz. Biz Special - Top Mobile OS - 2012. Available from: http://zeenews.india.com/business/slideshow/top-mobile-operating-systems-2012_78.html
- Reddy P. The factors affecting consumer's choice of mobile phones. Available from: http://www.ehow.com/list_7640797_factors-consumers-choice-mobile-phones.html
- Saif N. Factors affecting consumer’s choice of mobile phone selection. Islamabad: European Journal of Business Management. 2012; 4(12):1–12.
- IDC. IDC - Press Release. Available from: www.idc.com: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23946013#.US6CFKKRxu1
- Garyali N. Indian mobile customers prefer Android smartphones over iPhone: Survey. Available from: http://www.knowyourmobile.in/news/1054233/indian_mobile_customers_prefer_android_smartphones_over_iphone_survey.html
- Lee C. The importance of mobile phone applications to young consumers: An exploratory study in Malaysia. University of Canterbury: Sarawak; 2014.
- ABI Research. Mobile handset accessories: Aftermarket and in-box accessory segments. Available from: http://www.abiresearch.com/research/product/1006272-mobile-handset-accessories/
- Kanabar A. A market Survey on Mobile Phones. Available from: http://www.slideshare.net: http://www.slideshare.net/Amit230590/mobile-survey-presentation
- Reuters. Apple ahead in mobile loyalty: Gfk research firm. Available from: http://www.reuters.com: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/25/us-cellphones-study-idUSTRE7AO00420111125
- Lee CH, Eze UC. Conceptualizing factors that influence consumers' mobile phone purchase. 2012 International Conference on Innovation Management and Technology Research (ICIMTR); Malacca. 2012. p. 139–43.
- Victor H. Mobile OS comparison: Windows Phone 8 vs Ios 6.0 vs Android 4.1. Available from: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Mobile-OS-comparison-Windows-Phone-8-vs-iOS-6.0-vs-Android-4.1_id31473
- Cheng R. HTC interested in buying its own mobile OS. Available from: http://news.cnet.com: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20104782-94/htc-interested-in-buying-its-own-mobile-os/
- Mendy A. Samsung to launch its own mobile OS Tizen on competing smartphones. Available from: http://www.digitalversus.com: http://www.digitalversus.com/mobile-phone/samsung-launch-its-own-mobile-os-tizen-competing-smartphones-n27638.html
- Joshi S, Chirputkar A, Jog Y. Influence of brand oriented factors on customer loyalty of prepaid mobile services. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Mar; 8(S6):1–7.
- Im H, Seo DH, Bark DH, Park ST. An exploratory study on service quality measurement of the fourth generation mobile telecommunication: the case of the Korean market. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(21):1–12.
- Roushan R, Mehta M, Chandani A. Study of mobile marketing communication in India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Mar; 8(S6):1–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.