Total views : 366
Efficient Caching and Mobility Adaptive Popular Data Access in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Background: Caching technique is widely used to cope up with the resource constraints and to improve the data accessibility in MANETs. The key constraints are reducing the data access time, overhead and energy cost. Methods: This work proposes a Popularity-driven Caching and Mobility adaptive query Searching (PCMS) to achieve the constraints. The PCMS consists of Cache Node selection, popularity and data size driven replacement (POP) algorithm and mobility adaptive searching for cache data. With the aim of reducing the access delay of popular data, the PCMS selects a node that is closer to the destination in a route to cache the frequently requested data item and serves the future requests. The PCMS takes into account the data popularity and size to decide caching and replacement policy and thus significantly improves the performance of caching. The mobility adaptive searching for cache data looks for an item in Query Directory (QD) nodes and redirects the request to the concerned caching node. It updates the cache information at QD by adhering to the mobility prediction scheme. Findings: The PCMS considers the data popularity and size as key factors to decide caching and replacement policy for the better utilization of cache memory. The PCMS has successfully reduced the network traffic and improves the Cache Hit Ratio by adhering the mobility prediction based update scheme. Applications/Improvements: The proposed system achieves appreciably better performance in simulation than the existing caching systems by utilizing minimum battery power, bandwidth and access delay.
Cache Replacement, Mobility Adaptive, Mobile Ad Hoc Network, Popularity Based.
- Artail H, Safa H, Pierre S. Database caching in MANETs based on separation of queries and responses. IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications; 2005 Aug 22-24. p. 237–44.
- Nuggehalli P, Srinivasan V, Fabiana C, Rao R. Efficient cache placement in multi-hop wireless networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. 2006 Oct; 14(5):1045–55.
- Cao G, Yin L, Das CR. Cooperative cache-based data access in ad hoc networks. IEEE Journal on Computer Society. 2004 Feb; 37(2):32–9.
- Idris A, Artail H, Safa H. Query caching in MANETs for speeding up access to database data. Proceedings of Third International Symp Telecomm. (IST ’05); 2005. p. 987–92.
- Zhou X, Zou Z, Song R, Wang Y, Yu Z. Cooperative caching strategies for mobile peer-to-peer networks: A survey. Information Science and Applications (ICISA), Springer. 2016; 376:279–87.
- Husieen NA, Ghazali OB, Hassan S, Kadhum MM. Route cache update mechanisms in DSR protocol: A survey. International Conference on Information and Network Technology. 2011; 4:136–41.
- Chauhan N, Awasthi LK, Chand N. A cooperative caching strategy in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks based on clusters. ACM Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Communication, Computing and Security; 2011. p. 17–20.
- Fan X, Cao J, Wu W. Contention-aware data caching in wireless Multi-Hop Ad Hoc Networks. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. 2011; 71(4):603–14.
- Wu W, Cao J. Efficient cache discovery for cooperative caching in wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE 18th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS); Singapore. 2012 Dec 17-19. p. 323–30.
- Nejad HR, Jaseemuddin M, Al-Karkhi A. Cooperative caching in P2P MANETs. Proceedings of the 12th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access; 2014. p. 67–70.
- Fawaz K, Artail H. A two-layer cache replication scheme for dense Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Proc IEEE Global Comm Conf. (GlobeCom); Anaheim, CA. 2012 Dec 3-7. p. 464–9.
- Gonzalez-Canete FJ, Cabrera CAT. A cross layer interception and redirection cooperative caching scheme for MANETs. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. 2012; 1:1–21.
- Fiore M, Casetti C, Chiasserini CF. Caching strategies based on information density estimation in wireless ad hoc network. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2011 Jun; 60(5):2194–208.
- Fawaz K, Artail H. DCIM: Distributed Cache Invalidation Method for maintaining cache consistency in wireless mobile networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2013 Apr; 12(4):680–93.
- Tran QM, Dadej A. Optimizing cached route Time-To- Live in mobile ad-hoc networks. IEEE 29th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA); Gwangju. 2015 Mar 24-27. p. 193–200.
- Fawaz K, Artail A, Al-Khansa R, Artail H, Safa H. Replication enabled distributed cache invalidation method: Replication enabled distributed cache management system for wireless mobile networks. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing. 2015 Sep; 15(13):1711–28.
- Mukilan P, Wahi A. CDRA: Consistency based Data Replication Algorithm for MANET. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2012; 51(14):1–8.
- Wu W, Cao J, Fan X. Design and performance evaluation of overhearing-aided data caching in wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2013 Mar; 24(3):450–63.
- Majd NE, Misra S, Tourani R. Split-Cache: A holistic caching framework for improved network performance in wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM); Austin, TX. 2014. p. 137–42.
- Tran QM, Dadej A. Optimizing topology update interval in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks. IEEE 79th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring); Seoul. 2014 May 18-21. p. 1–5.
- Hara T. Quantifying impact of mobility on data availability in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2010 Feb; 9(2):241–58.
- Mershad K, Artail H. SSUM: Smart Server Update Mechanism for Maintaining Cache Consistency in Mobile Environments. IEEE Trans Mobile Computing. 2010 Jun; 9(6):778–95.
- Shanmugarathinam G, Vivekanandan K. Performance analysis of cache consistency maintenance in mobile environment using agent technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Nov; 6(11):5474–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.