Total views : 543
An Enhanced MAC-Layer Improving to Support QoS for Multimedia Data in Wireless Networks
In this paper, we present some mechanisms at Medium Access Control (MAC) sub-layer to handle traffic with QoS requirements in wireless networks. We propose method which will ensure the network's traffic is different in ratio to suit applications in networks.
IEEE 802.11e EDCA, MAC Control, Qos, Multimedia Traffic, Service Differentiation, Traffic Differentiation.
- ANSI/IEEE Std. 802.11e. IEEE Standard for Information Technology – Telecommunications and Information Exchange between Systems – Local and Metropolitan Area Networks – Specific Requirements. Part 11, Amendment 8. IEEE, 1999.
- Casetti C, Chiasserini C-F. Improving fairness and throughput for voice traffic in 802.11e EDCA. 15th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC); 2004. p. 525–30
- Kim H, Yun S, Kang I, Bahk S. Resolving 802.11 performance anomalies through QoS differentiation. IEEE Communications Letters. 2005; 9:655–7.
- Kim Y-H, Suk J-B. Performance improvement for best-effort traffic of IEEE 802.11e QoS MAC in mobile ad hoc networks. International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing; 2006. p. 1–4.
- Cali F, Conti M, Gregori E. Dynamic tuning of the IEEE 802.11 protocol to achieve a theoretical throughput limit. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. 2000 Dec; 8(6): 785–99.
- Cali F, Conti M, Gregori E. IEEE 802.11 protocol: Design and performance evaluation of an adaptive backoff mechanism. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 2000 Sept; 18 (9), pp. 1774–1786.
- Chen D, Garg S, Kappes M, Trivedi K. Supporting VBR VoIP traffic in IEEE 802.11 WLAN in PCF mode. 2002.
- Garg S, Kappes M, Krishnakumar AS. On the effect of contention- window sizes in IEEE 802.11b networks. 2002 25 Jun.
- He D, Shen C. Simulation study of IEEE 802.11e EDCA. Vehicular Technology Conference, Spring; 2003. p. 685–9.
- Angelis F, Habib I, Altieri P, Giambene G. Differentiated QoS provision for multimedia traffic in WiFi systems. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC); 2005 May. p. 1251–5.
- Swaminathan, Arvind, Martin J. Fairness issues in hybrid 802.11b/e networks. 3rd IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference; 2006. p. 50–4.
- Xiao Y, Haizhon L, Choi S. Protection and guarantee for video and voice traffic in IEEE 802.11e wireless LANs. 23rd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communication Societies (INFOCOM 2004); 2006. p. 2152–62.
- Siris VA, Stamatakis G. Optimal CWmin selection for achieving proportional fairness in multi-rate 802.11e WLANs: Test-bed implementation and evaluation. International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking: WiNTECH; 2006. p. 41–8.
- Leith D, Clifford P. Using the 802.11e EDCF to achieve TCP upload fairness over WLAN links. 3rd International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc and Wireless Networks, WIOPT; 2005 Apr. p. 109–18.
- Lim LW, Malik R, Tan PY. Apichaichalermwongse C, Ando K, Harada Y. A QoS scheduler for IEEE 802.11e WLANs. Consumer Communications and Networking Conference; 2004. p. 199–204.
- Jain R, Chiu DM, Hawe W. A quantitative measure of fairness and discrimination for resource allocation in shared conputer systems. Technical Report TR-301. DEC Research Report. 1984.
- Giang PT, Nakagawa K. Archieving fairness over 802.11 multi-hop wireless ad hoc networks. IEICE Trans Commun. 2009 Aug; E92-B(8):2628–37.
- Giang PT, Nakagawa K. Cross-layer scheme to control contention window for perflow fairness in asymmetric multihop networks. IEICE Transactions on Communications. 2010; E93-B(9):2326–35.
- The Network Simulator: ns-2. 2015. Available from: http:// www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- IEEE 802.11e EDCA Simulation Model for ns-2 (TU Berlin). 2015. Available from: http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/ research/802.11e_ns2
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.