Total views : 825
Design of Frequency-Reconfigurable Microstrip Patch Antenna
Background/Objectives: A frequency reconfigurable antenna is presented with operating frequency as 3.35 GHz. This antenna is capable of switching to six different frequencies. Methods/Analysis: A reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna has been designed with slots cut in the ground plane. Three p-i-n diode has been introduced between these slots on the ground plane. The antenna produced six different frequency bands between 4.1818 GHz to 7.2727 GHz at operating frequency 3.35 GHz. The projected antenna has been designed using Taconic35 substrate with a relative dielectric constant of 3.5 and thickness of 1.52 mm. Findings: The proposed antenna exhibits multi-frequency behavior. This antenna is capable of switching to six different frequencies viz. 4.1818 GHz, 4.2424 GHz, 7.3333 GHz, 4.3030 GHz, 7.2727 GHz and 7.2121 GHz. At these frequencies proposed antenna produces six Return loss viz.-19.6476 dBi, -20.8143 dBi, -23.8396 dBi, -22.8885 dBi, -21.5707 dBi and -25.6389 dBi and Gain of 2.5808 dBi, 2.0623 dBi, 2.5694 dBi, 2.2819 dBi, 3.2810 dBi and 3.1969 dBi. Novelty/Improvements: In this paper a compact frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna has been presented with less Return loss and high gain in compare with the conventional one.
Microstrip Patch Antenna, Reconfigurable Frequency, p-i-n Diode.
- Mezall SY. New compact microstrip patch antenna: Design and simulation results. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(12).DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/ v9i12/85950.
- Balanis CA. Antenna theory: A review. Proceedings of the IEEE; 1992. p. 7-23.
- Park SY, Oh SJ, Park JK, Kim JS. Dual-band antenna for WLAN/UWB. Applications, Microwave Conference (APMC); 2009. p. 2707-10.
- Bernhard JT, Wang R, Clark R, Mayes P. Stacked reconfigurable antenna elements for space-based radar applications. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium; 2001. p. 158-61.
- Gardner P, Hall PS, Kelly J. Reconfigurable antennas for cognitive radio: Requirements and potential design approaches. Institution of Engineering and Technology Seminar on Wideband Multiband Antennas and Arrays for Defense or Civil Applications; 2008. p. 94.
- Mirkamali A, Hall PS. Wideband frequency reconfiguration of a printed log periodic dipole array microw. Opt Lett. 2010 Apr; 52(4):861-4.
- Tawk Y, Christodoulou CG. A new reconfigurable antenna design for cognitive radio. IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag Lettt. 2009; 8:13-81.
- Yu Y, Xiong J, Li H, He S. An electrically small frequency reconfigurable antenna with a wide tuning range. IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag Lett. 2011; 10:103-6.
- Zhangt Y, Wang BZ, Yang XS. Fractal Hilbert microstrip antennas with reconfigurable radiation patterns. Microw Opt Technol Lett. 2007 Feb; 49(2):352-4.
- Rameswarudu ES, Sridevi PV. A Novel triple band planar microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(3). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i3/84674.
- Dheeraj K, Pourush PKS. Ni ferrite based microstrip phased array antenna in L-band. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Dec; 3(12).
- Costantine J, Tawk Y, Christodoulou CG, Barbin SB. A star shaped reconfigurable patch antenna. Proceedings IEEE IMWS; Guadalajara, Mexico. 2009 Feb. p. 19-20.
- Constantine J, Al Safar S, Christoudoulou CG, Abdallah CT. Reducing redundancies in reconfigurable antenna structure using graph models. IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation. 2011 Mar; 59(3).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.