Total views : 337
Study of Exhaust Gas Temperature of S I Engine using Water Injection
Objectives: In this paper an experimental study is carried out to reduce the exhaust gas temperature of a Spark Ignition (SI) engine by injecting water in the intake manifold. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The reduction of exhaust gas temperature decreases the NOx emissions. To achieve this, an experimental setup was fabricated to spray water using a small compressor at the intake manifold. A solenoid valve is used to regulate the water injection; the solenoid valve was in turn controlled by an electrical circuit. The temperature of exhaust gas was measured continuously using ‘J’ type thermocouple and digital temperature indicator. Findings: Injection of water just after the carburettor in the intake manifold reduced the overall temperature of the cylinder due to higher latent heat of vaporization. As the temperature inside the cylinder is reduced, harmful emissions such as NOx and CO are reduced thus bringing down the pollution to a greater extent. Applications/Improvements: In order to reduce the pollution caused due to automobile emission can be controlled by injection of water in the intake manifold.
Exhaust Gas, Reduction, SI Engine, Temperature Emission Reduction, Water Injection.
- Boretti A. Water injection in directly injected turbocharged spark ignitionengines. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2013; 52:62–8.
- Mingrui W, Sa NT, Turkson RF, Jinping L, Guanlun G. Water injection for higher engine performance and lower emissions. Journal of the Energy Institute. 2016; 1:1–15.
- Cinar C, Uyumaz A, Solmaz H, Topgul T. Effects of valve lift on the combustion and emissions of a HCCI gasoline engine. Energy Conversion and Management. 2015; 94:159–68.
- Fennell D, Herreros J, Tsolakis A. Improving Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine efficiency and emissions with hydrogen from exhaust gas fuel reforming. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2014; 39:5153–62.
- Bozza F, De Bellis V, Teodosio L. Potentials of cooled EGR and water injection for knock resistance and fuel consumption improvements of gasoline engines. Applied Energy. 2016; 169:112–25.
- Lanzafame, R. Water injection effects in a single cylinder CFR engine. SAE Technical Paper Series. 1999; 1–10.
- Hoppe F, Thewes M, Baumgarten H, Dohmen J. Water injection for gasoline engines: Potentials, challenges, and solutions. International Journal of Engine Research. 2015; 17(1):86–96.
- Busuttil D, Farrugia M. Experimental investigation on the effect of injecting water to the air to fuel mixture in a spark ignition engine. MM (Modern Machinery) Science Journal. 2015; 585–90.
- Nguyen Q-A, Wu Y-Y. Experimental investigations of using water-gasoline emulsions as a NOx treatment and its effects on performance and emissions of lean-burn spark-ignition engine. Proceedings of the International Conference on Power Engineering-09 (ICOPE-09), 2009 Nov 16–20, Kobe: Japan; 2009.
- Pradeep V, Ramesh A. A novel twin injector strategy for direct cylinder barrel injection of LPG in a 2S-SI engine. Fuel. 2015; 162:128–37.
- Hasana AO, Abu-Jraic A, Al-Muhtasebd AH, Tsolakisa A, Xua H. HC, CO and NOx emissions reduction efficiency of a prototype catalyst in gasoline bi-mode SI/HCCI engine. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 2016; 4(2):2410–16.
- Lia Y, Nithyanandan K, Leeb TH, Donahueb RM, Linb Y, Leeb C-F, Liao S. Effect of water-containing acetone–butanol–ethanol gasoline blends on combustion, performance, and emissions characteristics of a spark-ignition engine. Energy Conversion and Management. 2016; 117:21–30.
- Binjuwaira S, Mohamadb TI, Almalekia A, Alkudsia A, Alshunaifia I. The effects of research octane number and fuel systems on the performance and emissions of a spark ignition engine: A study on Saudi Arabian RON91 and RON95 with port injection and direct injection systems. Fuel. 2015; 158:351–60.
- Fua L, Wua Z, Yua X, Denga J, Hua Z, Lia L. Experimental investigation of combustion and emission characteristics for internal combustion rankine cycle engine under different water injection laws. Energy Procedia. 2015; 66:89–92.
- Ramjee E, Reddy KV. Performance analysis of a 4 stroke SI engine using CNG as an alternative fuel. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011; 4(7):801–4.
- Krishnamani S, Mohanraj T, Kumar KM. Experimental investigation on performance, combustion and emission characteristics of a low heat rejection engine using rapeseed methyl ester and diethyl ether. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(15):1–9.
- Ramkumar S, Kirubakaran V. Review on admission of preheated vegetable oil in C.I. engine. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(2):1–11.
- Varthan RV, Kumar DS. Emission characteristics of turbocharged single cylinder diesel engine. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(17):1–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.