Total views : 270
Cross Layer Architecture for Maintaining QoS in Multimedia Applications
Background/Objectives: Multimedia Applications on Mobile Ad hoc Networks (MANETs) are gaining immense popularity recently due to their necessity in latest environments. Hence, multimedia applications like video streaming, video conferencing and environment monitoring must be made possible in real-time in Mobile Ad hoc Networks. Mobility of nodes, life of battery, changes in topology and protocols affect the performance of MANET. Hence providing good Quality of Service (QoS) for multimedia applications in MANET is a challenge. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The RED algorithm with video precedence called as SiViRED (Significant Video Information Random Early Detection) - AQM in the Network layer that provides service differentiation based on the pre-assigned service classes and video packet drop priority specified in packet header. This will reduce congestion and decrease delay and jitter when compared to conventional methods. Findings: Proposed a novel technique that uses a cross layer architecture in which information from application layer is used with UDPLite in Transport layer and Active Queue Management (AQM) with SiViRED in Network Layer with modified dynamic mapping in MAC layer that guarantees 14% increase in Peak Signal to Noise Ratio (PSR) and 40% decrease in delay compared to conventional methods. Application/Improvements: Developed a cross layer technique that improves the end-to-end performance of multimedia services over Mobile Ad hoc Networks.
Delay, Jitter, Mobile Ad hoc Networks, PSNR, QoS.
- Clark D, Fang W. Explicit allocation of best effort packet delivery service. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. 1998 Aug; 6(4):362–73.
- Floyd S, Gummadi R, Shenker S. Adaptive RED: An algorithm for increasing the robustness of RED's Active Queue Management. AT&T Center for Internet Research at ICSI; 2001 Aug.
- Xu K, Gerla M, Qi L, Shu Y. Enhancing TCP fairness in Ad hoc Wireless Networks using neighborhood red. Proc of ACM MOBICOM; San Diego, CA, USA. 2003 Sep. p. 16–28.
- Ksentini A, Naimi M, Gueroui A. Toward an improvement of H.264 video transmission over IEEE 802.11e through a cross-layer architecture. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2006 Jan; 44(1):107–14.
- Chen H, Lee P, Hu S. Improving scalable video transmission over IEEE 802.11e through cross-layer architecture. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications; 2008. p. 241–6.
- MacKenzie R. Hands D, Farrell T. QoS of video delivered over 802.11 e WLANS. IEEE International Conference on Communications; 2009. p. 1–5.
- Soni R, Chilamkurti N, Giambene G, Zeadally S. A crosslayer design for H.264 video stream over wireless local area networks. International Symposium on Computer Science and its Applications, CSA '08; 2008. p. 387–92.
- Chilamkurti N, Zeadally S, Soni R, Giambene G. Wireless multimedia delivery over 802.11e with cross-layer optimization techniques. Springer Multimedia Tools Application. 2010; 47:189–205.
- Gomathi N, Seethalakshmi P, Govardhan A. Active Queue Management for multimedia streaming in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks. Published by European Journal of Scientific Research. 2012; 72(1):107–23. ISSN 1450-216X.
- Gomathi N, Seethalakshmi P, Govardhan A. Cross layer design to enhance throughput for multimedia streaming over Mobile Ad hoc Networks. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering. 2011 Jan; 3(1):114–26.
- Gomathi N, Seethalakshmi P, Govardhan A. Performance evaluation of multimedia streaming over Mobile Ad hoc Networks using mapping algorithm. International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Networks. 2011; 3(4):271–87.
- Gomathi N, Seethalakshmi P, Govaradhan A. An adaptive cross layer design to enhance throughput for multimedia streaming over Mobile Ad hoc Networks. Trends in Network and Communications: International Conference on Wireless Communication and Networking, NeCOM 2011 LNCS; 2011 Jul; p. 21–32.
- Gomathi N. Enhancing the Quality of Service of video streaming using cross layer approach in Mobile Ad hoc Networks. [Thesis]. JNTUH; 2014.
- Gomathi N, Seethalakshmi P, Govardhan A. An integrated cross layer approach for multimedia streaming using multipath and multiple description coding in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks. WSEAS Transactions on Communications. 2012 Feb; 11(2):57–69.
- Haripriya Y, Bindu Pavani KV, Lavanya S, Madhu Viswanatham V. A framework for detecting malicious nodes in Mobile Ad hoc Network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S2). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/ v8iS2/60285.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.