Total views : 312
Developing an Efficient Utility Theory based VHO Algorithm to Boost User Satisfaction in HETNETs
Objectives: Heterogeneous environment is formed by co-existing interworking networks, with the objective of providing mobile users with best connectivity at anytime. This is facilitated by handover process. In this paper we have proposed Utility Theory based vertical handover decision algorithm, taking into consideration utility functions/parameters like bandwidth, monetary cost, security and power consumption levels of candidate network available for handover. Methods/ Analysis: The proposed algorithm uses hybrid of Fuzzy logics and AHP to assign weights to the parameters and since the algorithm is utility based, the network are ranked using simple weighted sum of the parameters. Findings: The proposed algorithm selects the network which satisfies all the network selection criteria. Higher the level of user satisfaction served by the network, more it is suitable for handover in heterogeneous environment. Conclusion/Applications: The proposed algorithm provides higher level of user satisfaction. It is well suited for random and imprecise wireless environment since it makes use of fuzzy logics instead of crisp values. Furthermore to check its applicability in real time the proposed algorithm can be implemented on a simulation tool.
FAHP, Heterogeneous Network, Network Selection Algorithm, Utility Theory, User Satisfaction.
- Shidrokh G, Haslina HW, Mohammad HA, Ahmad S. A comparative review of vertical handover decision-making mechanisms in heterogeneous wireless networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(23):1–20.
- Seddigh N, Nandy B, Makkar R, Beaumont J. Security advances and challenges in 4G wireless networks. 8th International Conference on Privacy, Security and Trust; ON. 2010. p. 62–71.
- Hui SY, Yeung KH. Challenges in the migration to 4G mobile systems. IEEE Commun Mag. 2003; 41(12):54–9.
- Gazis V, Alonistioti N, Merakos L. Toward a generic always best connected capability in integrated wlan/umts cellular mobile networks (and beyond). IEEE Wireless Commun. 2005; 12(3):20–9.
- Patel G, Dennett S. The 3GPP and 3GPP2 movements toward an all-IP mobile network. IEEE Pers Commun. 2000; 7(4):62–4.
- Niyato D, Hossain E. Call admission control for QoS provisioning in 4G wireless networks: Issues and approaches. IEEE Network. 2005; 19(5):5–11.
- Bhuvaneswari A, Raj EGDP. An overview of vertical handoff decision making algorithms. I J Computer Network and Information Security. 2012 Aug; 4(9):55–62.
- Mahmood A, Hushairi Z, Al-Khalid O. Vertical handover decision processes for fourth generation heterogeneous wireless networks. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences. 2013 Dec; 1(5):229–35.
- Yass KS, Ong HS, Rabha WI, Salman Y, Azlan I. An overview of intelligent selection and prediction method in heterogeneous wireless networks. J Cent South Univ. 2014 Aug 8; 21(8):3138−54.
- Xiaohuan Y, Ahmet S, Sathya N. A survey of vertical handover decision algorithms in 4th generation heterogeneous wireless networks. Elsevier. 2010 Feb 10; 54(11):1848–63.
- Sudesh P, Brahmjit S, Ashok A. Cross layer based dynamic handover decision in heterogeneous wireless networks. WPC. 2015 Jan 15; 82(3):1665–84.
- Rajiv V, Niraj PS. GRA based network selection in heterogeneous wireless networks. WPC. 2013 Sep; 72(2):1437–52.
- Gita M, Mahamod I, Rosdiadee N. Vertical handover decision algorithm using multicriteria metrics in heterogeneous wireless network. Journal of Computer Networks and Communications. 2015; 2:1–8.
- Manpreet SD, Amol P, Dinesh KA, Manika K, Rajeev S. Fuzzy logic based handoff in wireless networks. IEEE 51st Proceedings on Vehicular Technology Conference; Tokyo., 2000; p. 2375–79.
- Kaleem F, Mehbodniya A, Islam A, Yen KK, Adachi F. Dynamic target wireless network selection technique using fuzzy linguistic variables. China Communications. 2013 Jan; 10(1):1–16.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.