Total views : 352
Development of Three Electrode System for Optimizing the Parameters of Hybrid Capacitor
Objectives: To fabricate the hybrid capacitor by novel configuration and implementation of prototypes with hybrid capacitor making processes at laboratory. The purpose of this investigation is to study the effect of novel configuration in comparison with conventional two electrodes. Many researchers have concentrated on the materials used for making hybrid capacitors and very little research is available on configuration of electrodes used for hybrid capacitor which is important for further development but unfocused area. Methods: The prototypes were made by simple mixture and loading technique of electrode material. Polyethylene sheets were used as separators to prevent the short circuit between the electrode and aqueous potassium sulphate solution used as electrolyte. Statistical Analysis: The charging-discharging cycle analysis gives parameters of hybrid capacitor i.e., energy density, power density, internal resistance, specific capacitance for developed prototypes. The parameters for developed prototypes and conventional two electrode hybrid capacitor prototypes were observed. Comparative analysis for various parameters of developed prototypes was conducted and readings noted down. Findings: From charge-discharge test of hybrid capacitor it was concluded that the higher values for energy density, power density and specific capacitance can be obtained by using novel configuration of electrodes. The graphical analysis from charge-discharge test demonstrated decrease in internal resistance. It was also found that in case of hybrid capacitor with three electrodes with extra non faradic systems all the parameters are higher than conventional hybrid capacitor and hybrid capacitor three electrode system with extra faradic. Applications: Hybrid capacitors have high energy density compared to super-capacitors with better long term cycling ability. Due these additional advantages hybrid capacitors have attractive applications where high current pulses are repeatedly required. This technology is yet coming up to develop high grade hybrid capacitor which may replace batteries or may work along with the batteries in near future.
Electrical Energy Storage, Electrodes, Electrolyte, Hybrid Capacitor, Parameters.
- George AT, GanesanR. Thangeeswari T. Redox deposition of manganese oxide nanoparticles on graphite electrode by immersion technique for electrochemical super capacitors. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/85782.
- Kotz R, carlen M. Principles and application of electrochemical Capacitor. Electrochimica Acta. 2000 May; 45(15):2483–98.
- Nikerson J. Proceedings of the 9th International Seminar on Double Layer Capacitors and Similar Energy Storage Devices; Deerfield Beach, FL. 1999.
- Karandikar PB, Talange DB. Material based characterization of aqueous metal oxide based supercapacitor. Proceedings of IEEE Conference PECON; Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. 2010 Dec. 2010; 01:1093–7.
- Talange DB, Karandikar PB. Modeling approaches for interdisciplinary aspects of supercapacitor. Electrical India, Chary Publication. 2012 Mar; 3:99–103.
- Burke A. The present and projected performance and cost of double layer and pseudo-capacitive ultra-capacitors for hybrid vehicle applications. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 2009; 9:356–66.
- Karandikar PB, Talange DB, Mhaskar U, Bansal R. Development, characterization and modeling of aqueous metal oxide based supercapacitor. Energy. Elsevier. 2012; 40:131–8.
- Wang Y, Yang QM, Shitomirsky I. Fabrication of Ni plaque-based manganese dioxide electrodes for electrochemical supercapacitor. Material and Manufacturing Processes. 2011; 26:846–54.
- Shekhar G, Mahulkar NP, Karandikar PB. Studying the impact of metal oxide in the development of hybrid capacitor. IEEE ICECS; 2015. P. 331–6.
- Piegaril PM. Hybrid electrochemical power sources for on board applications. IEEE Transcation on Energy Conversions. 2007; 22(2):450–6.
- Inagaki M, Konno H, Tanaike O. Carbon materials for electrochemical capacitors. Journal of Power Sources. 2010 Dec; 195(24):7880–903.
- Coney BE. Electrochemical supercapacitors. New York: Kluwer Academics; 1999.
- Jacob GM, Yang QM, Zhitomisky I. Electrodes for electrochemical supercapacitors. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2009; 24:1359–64.
- Brousse T, Taberna P, Crosnier O, Dugas R, Guillemet P, Scudeller Y, Zhou Y. Long-term cycling behavior of asymmetrical activated carbon/MnO2 aqueous electrochemical supercapacitor. Journal of Power Sources. 2007; 173:633–41.
- Karandikar PB, Talange DB, Mhaskar U, Bansal R. Investigations in to material and manufacturing aspects of aqueous supercapacitor. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. Taylor and Francis. 2012 Nov; 27(11):1164–70.
- Karandikar PB, Talange DB, Mhaskar U, Bansal R. Model validation of capacitance and ESR of supercapacitor. Electric Power Components and Systems. Taylor and Francis. 2012; 40:1105–18.
- Zubicta L, Bonert R. Characteristics of double layer capacitors for power electronics applications. IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications. 2000; 36:99–103.
- Durgadevi N, Sunitha M, Asha S, Guhan S, Ramachandran T. Electro oxidation of methanol on Ni/Ni-Co coated SS mesh electrode. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/74667.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.