Total views : 313
Development and Analysis of Switched Capacitor Four Quadrant DC-DC Converter for Hybrid Electric Vehicle
Background/Objectives: The main objective of this research is to develop a bi-directional four quadrant DC-DC converter for an energy efficient electric vehicle. Methods/Analysis: The model of electric vehicle is designed using MATLAB software. The results confirm that the proposed DC-DC converter structure is highly reliable, lighter in weight, smaller in volume, with good efficiency, less electromagnetic interference and lower current or voltage ripple. Findings: The issues on global warming and fossil fuels depletion have created opportunities to Electric Vehicle (EV). The main characteristics of Energy storage system in vehicles include energy density, power density, lifetime, cost and maintenance. Most of the electric and hybrid electric configurations use two energy storage devices, one with high energy storage capacity, called the "Main Energy System" (MES) and the other with high power capacity called the "Auxiliary Energy Storage System" (AESS). Other challenge in electric vehicle is to maintain the state of charge within the allowable limits and sharing of energy between the storage devices. For proper sharing of energy between the storage devices, DC-DC converter plays a crucial role. Novelty/Improvement: A novel Switched Capacitor DC-DC power converter and their controllers are investigated.
Auxiliary Energy Storage System, Bidirectional Dc-Dc Converter, Hybrid Electric Vehicle, Main Energy System, Ultra capacitor.
- Jorgensen K. Technologies for electric, Hybrid and hydrogen vehicles: Eelectricity, renewable energy sources in transport. Utilities Policy. 2008; 16:72-9. Doi no: 10.1016/j.rser.2013.08.097.
- Camara MB, Gualous H, Gustin F, Berthon A. Design and new control of DC/DC converters to share energy between super capacitors and batteries in hybrid vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. Doi no: 10.1109/TVT.2008.915491.
- Chau KT, Wong YD, Chan CC. An overview of energy sources for electric vehicle. Energy Conversion and Management. 1999; 40(10):1953-68.
- Tie SF, Tan CW. A review of energy sources and energy management system in electric vehicle. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012. Doi no: 10.1016/j.rser.2012.11.077.
- Jaafar A, Akli CR, Sareni B, Roboam X, Jeunesse A. Sizing and energy management of a hybrid locomotive based on flywheel and accumulators. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2009 Doi no: 10.1109/TVT.2009.2027328.
- Hebner R, Beno J, Walls A. Flywheel batteries come around again. IEEE Spectrum. 2002; 39(4):46-51. Doi no: 10.1109/6.993788.
- Dustmann C-H. Advances in ZEBRA batteries. Journal of Power Sources. 2004; 127(1-2):85-92. Doi no: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.09.039.
- Sudworth J. The sodium/nickel chloride (ZEBRA) battery. Power Source. 2001; 100(1-2):149-63. Doi no: 10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00891-6.
- Bromaghim GKG, Serfass J, Serfass P, Wagner E. Hydrogen and fuel cells. The U.S. Market Report. 2010 Mar.
- Connors J. On the subject of solar vehicles and the benefits of the technology. International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP’07); 2007. Doi no: 10.1109/ICCEP.2007.384287.
- Young WR, Jr. Photovoltaics and the automobile. Conference Record South Con/94; 1994. Doi no: 10.1109/SOUTHC.1994.498073.
- Pisanti C. Design and energetic evaluation of a mobile photovoltaic roof for cars. Energy Procedia. 2015; 81:182–92. Doi no: 10.1016/j.egypro.2015.12.
- Wang Y, et al. Dynamic reconfiguration of photovoltaic energy harvesting system in hybrid electric vehicles. Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design. Redondo Beach, CA: ACM; 2012. p. 109-14. Doi no: 10.1145/2333660.2333747.
- Stabler F. Automotive thermoelectric generator design issues. DOE Thermoelectric Applications Workshop on Future Tech LLC; 2009.
- Mackay DJC. Sustainable energy-without the hot air. Cambridge: UIT Cambridge; 2009. p. 125-6.
- Veerachary M. Control of switched capacitor stepdown buck converter. Proceedings of IEEE Indus trial Electronics Conference; 2006 Nov. p. 2073-6. Doi no: 10.1109/IECON.2006.347631.
- Veerachary M, Sudhakar SB. Peak-current mode control of hybrid switched capacitor converter. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics Drives Energy System; 2006 Dec. p. 1-6. Doi no:10.1109/PEDES.2006.344426.
- Luo FL, Ye H. Advanced DC-DC Converters. Boca Raton, FL: CRC; 2004.
- Divya Navamani J, Vijayakumar K, Lavanya A. FPGAbased Digitally Controlled Isolated Full-Bridge DC-DC converter with Voltage Doubler (IFBVD). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(16). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i16/76672.
- Kavya Santhoshi B, Mohana Sundaram K, Sivasubramanian M, Akila S. A novel multiport bidirectional dual active bridge dc-dc converter for renewable power generation systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/85701.
- Jagannadha Naidu K, Kittur HM. On chip DC-DC converter with high switching frequency and low ripple voltage. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(5). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i5/87171.
- Abazari S, Khalili A. Charge management of electric vehicles in grids with Distributed Generation (DG) systems for reducing grid peak and improvement in its technical parameters. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(7). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i7/87860.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.