Total views : 415
Corrosion Studies using Zeolite Synthesized from Fly Ash
Background/Objectives: Zeolite is emerging as an environmental-friendly alternative to hard chrome, cadmium and epoxy polymers based corrosion resistance coating for steel, magnesium and aluminium alloys. Owing to inert nature, low modulus of elasticity and high strength, zeolite coatings are being used as anti-corrosive coatings for metallic substrates. Methods: Molten Salt Method was used to convert fly ash to zeolite. The synthesized zeolite was characterized using X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) technique and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM). The synthesized zeolite was coated on mild steel samples using polymer binder (Polyvinylidene fluoride-PVDF). Zeolite-coated mild steel samples and uncoated samples were exposed to sea water for 2 months. The corrosion behaviour was found using Weight-loss method and Electrochemical Method (Potentiodynamic Polarization Method-Tafel Plot analysis). Corrosion studies of samples were also carried out in different acid solutions (Sulphuric Acid, Nitric Acid, Hydrochloric Acid) for a month. Corrosion rates of samples and inhibition efficiencies of coaed-samples were found using Weight-loss Method. Findings: Results showed that fly ash was converted into zeolite with Sodalite and Cancrinite as major crystalline phases. The optimum zeolite to binder ratio was found to be 1:0.3. The zeolite-coated samples had excellent corrosion inhibition efficiency in sea water (above 85%). They had corrosion inhibition efficiencies above 80% in acid solutions. Application: This study presents experimental results dealing with the possibility of transforming fly ash into a zeolite material and using the synthesized material as an effective anti-corrosive agent.
Fly Ash, Zeolite, Weight-Loss Method, Tafel Plot, Corrosion Rate, Inhibition Efficiency.
- Article title: Date Accessed: 08/09/2015: Available from: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/ tp-tamilnadu/loss-due-to-corrosion-can-be-4-per-cent-ofgdp/ article6340613.ece.
- Article title: Date Accessed: 09/09/2015: Available from: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/vadodara/ Corrosion-costs-India-Rs-2-lakh-crore-loss-a-year/articleshow/ 17484225.cms.
- Mars G Fontana. Mc-Graw Hill Book Company: Corrosion Engineering, 3rd edn. 1987.
- Jean Wen-Chyuan Chang, Anthony S T Chiang. Anticorrosion zeolite film by the dry-gel-conversion process. Thin Solid Films. 2012; 529:327–32.
- Chow Gabriel, Yan Yushan. Zeolite as wear-resistant coating. Journal of Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 2012; 51:346-51.
- Querol X, Alastuey A, Juan R. Synthesis of high ion exchange zeolites from coal fly ash. Geologica Acta. 2007; 5:49-57.
- Chakraborty Banerjee P, Woo Ren Ping, Grayson Sam Matthew. Influence of Zeolite Coating on the Corrosion Resistance of Magnesium Alloy. Journal of Materials. 2014; 7:6092-104.
- Mayuri N Katariya, Arun K Jana. Corrosion inhibition effectiveness of zeolite ZSM-5 coating on mild steel against various organic acids and its antimicrobial activity. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 2013; 19:286–91.
- Haile T, Nakhla G. Evaluation of the bactericidal characteristics of nano-copper oxide or functionalized zeolite coating for bio-corrosion control in concrete sewer pipes. Journal of Corrosion Science. 2010; 52:45–53.
- Yusoffa NHN, Ghazalib MJ, Isaa MC, Daudc AR, Muchtar A. Effects of powder size and metallic bonding layer on corrosion behaviour of plasma-sprayed Al2O3-13% TiO2 coated mild steel in fresh tropical seawater. Journal of Ceramics International. 2012; 39:2527-33.
- Ojha Keka, Narayan C Pradhan, Nath Amar. Zeolite from fly ash: Sythesis and Characterization. Journal of Bulletin Material Science. 2004; 27:555-64.
- Querol X, Moreno I, Umana JC, Alastuey A. Synthesis of zeolite from fly ash. International Journal of Coal Geology. 2002; 50:413-23.
- Robledo Muniz JG, Medina Ramirez A. Synthesis and Characterisation of high Silica Zeolites from Coal fly ash. Latin America Applied Research. 2010; 40:323-28.
- Wojciech Franus. Characterisation of X-type Zeolite Prepared from Coal fly ash. International Journal of Environmental Studies. 2011; 21:337-43.
- Mainganye Dakalo, Park Leslie. Synthesis of Zeolites Na-P1 from South African Coal Fly ash: Effect of Impeller Design and Agitation. Journals of Materials. 2013; 6:2074-89.
- Park Man, Choi Chong Lyeal. Molten-salt method for the synthesis of zeolitic materials. Journal of Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 2000; 37:81-89.
- Nicholas M Musyoka, Leslie F Petrick, Oja O Fatoba, Humus Eris. Sythesis of zeolite from coal fly ash using mine waters. Minerals Engineering. 53:9-15.
- Narayan C Pradhan. Zeolite from fly ash: Synthesis and Characterization. Bulletin Material Science Journal. 2004; 27:555-64.
- Lin Cheng Fang and His Haing Cheng. Resource recovery of waste fly ash: synthesis of Zeolite. Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 1995; 29:1109-17.
- Chauhan YP, Talib Mohd. A Novel and Green Approach of Synthesis and Characterization of Nano-Adsorbents (zeolites) from coal fly ash. Scientific Reviews and Chemical Communications. 2012; 2(1):ISSN 277-2669.
- Thuadaji Pattaranum, Nuntiya Apinon. Effect of the SiO2/ Al2O3 ratio on the synthesis of Na-x zeolite from Mae Moh fly ash. Science Asia. 2012; 38:295-300.
- Bao-Yu Liu, Liu Zheng, Guo-Cheng Han, Yang-Hong Li. Corrosion inhibition and adsorption behavior of 2-((dehydroabietylamine) methyl)-6-methoxyphenol on mild steel surface in seawater. Journal of Thin Solid films, 2015; 19:7836-44.
- Singh Ashish Kumar, Shukla Sudish Kumar. Corrosion Behavior of Mild Steel in Sulphuric Acid Solution in Presence of Ceftazidime. Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2011; 6:5802-14.
- Shahabi Shirin, Norouzi Parviz. Theoretical and Electrochemical Study of Carbon Steel Corrosion Inhibition in the Presence of Two Synthesized Schiff Base Inhibitors: Application of Fast Fourier Transform Continuous Cyclic Voltammetry. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2014; 10:2646–62.
- Ismail A, Adan NH. Effect of Oxygen Concentration on Corrosion Rate of Carbon Steel in Seawater. American Journal of Engineering Research. 2014; 3:64-67.
- Verma PS, Meena Shankar Lal. Effect of Inhibitors on corrosion of Aluminium in acidic medium. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology. 2014; 21:220-23.
- Farag Ahmed A. Investigation of the Inhibition Effect of Nontoxic Purine Derivatives on the Carbon Steel Corrosion in 0.5 M H2SO4 Solution. International Journal of Science and Research. 2012; ISSN 2319-7064.
- Mohd Norzila, Ishak Anis Suhaina. Thermodynamic Study of Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in Corrosive Medium by Piper nigrum Extract. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 August; 8(15):ISSN 0974-5645.
- Ehteram A Noor, Aisha H Al Moubarraki. Corrosion Behaviour of Mild Steel in Hydrochloric Acid. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2008; 3:806-18.
- Maha Saud M. Al-Subaie, Aisha Mahmood A. Anticorrosion Nanocrystalline Beta Zeolite Thin Film for Advanced Applications. Journal of Chemistry. 2015; p. 1-5.
- Osarolube, Owate IO. Corrosion behaviour of mild steel and high carbon steels in various acidic media. Academic Journals, Scientific Research and Essay. 2008; 3:224-28.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.