Total views : 194
Influence of Terrain Attributes on the Number of Snow-Covered Days Over Karoon River Basin, Iran
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to find the relationships of snow-covered days (SCDs) with topographic variables such as elevation, slope and aspect by using MODIS data. Methods/Statistical Analysis: MODIS data were used from 1 January 2003 to 31 December 2015. Due to cloud contamination in the daily data of MODIS snow products, it is not reasonable to use the data without any processing aimed at reducing cloud blockage. To reduce cloud cover effect, the daily data of MOD10A1 and MYD10A1 were combined and a three day filtering technique was applied to further reduce cloud cover effect. Findings: 1) The relationship of SCDs with elevation is not necessarily a linear relation; 2) The slope value of 22° is the critical slope in the Basin above which the snow accumulation decreases; and 3) The most SCDs are on the N and NE facing slopes and the least SCDs are on the SW facing slopes. Application/Improvements: The study showed that the slopes steeper than 22 degree are not suitable for snow accumulation. So in a country like Iran that is 3 degree Celsius warmer than the globe and snowfall frequency is dramatically low and this may be considered as a new restriction to accumulation of snow in high altitudes of the country.
Aspect, Elevation, Karoon River Basin, Slope, Snow-Covered Days.
- Viviroli D, Durr HH, Messerli B, Meybeck M, Weingartner R. Mountains of the world, water towers for humanity: Typology, mapping, and global significance. Water Resour. Res. 2007 Jul; 43(7):1-13.
- Brown RD. Northern Hemisphere Snow Cover Variability and Change, 1915–97. J. Climate. 2000 Jul; 13:2339-55.
- Samanta S, Pal DK, Lohar D, Pal B. Preparation of Digital Data Sets on Land Use/land Cover, Soil and Digital Elevation Model for Temperature Modeling Using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jun; 4(6):1-7.
- Wang W, Huang X, Deng J, Xie H, Liang T. Spatio-Temporal Change of Snow Cover and Its Response to Climate over the Tibetan Plateau Based on an Improved Daily Cloud-Free Snow Cover Product. Remote Sens. 2015; 7(1):169-94.
- Jin X, Ke CQ, Xu YY, Li XC. Spatial and temporal variations of snow cover in the Loess Plateau. China. Int. J. Climatol. 2014 Jun; 35(8):1721-31.
- Kour R, Patel N, Krishna AP. Effects of Terrain Attributes on Snow Cover Dynamics in Parts of Chenab Basin, Western Himalayas. Hydrolog Sci J. 2016; 61(10):1861-76.
- Jain SK, Goswami A, Saraf AK. Role of Elevation and Aspect in Snow Distribution in Western Himalaya. Water Resour Manage. 2009 Jan; 23(1):71-83.
- Tong J, Dery S, Jackson P. Topographic control of snow distribution in an alpine watershed of Western Canada inferred from spatially-filtered MODIS snow products. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 2009 Mar; 13(3):319-26.
- Riggs G, Hall D, Salomonson V. 2006. MODIS snow products user guide to collection 5. Retrieved 2013 January 15. Date accessed: 15/01/2013: Available from: http://www.nsidc.org/data/docs/daac/modis_v5/dorothy_snow_doc.pdf.
- Riggs GA, Hall DK. Snow Mapping with the MODIS Aqua Instrument. In 61st Eastern Snow Conference Portland. 2004; p. 1-4.
- Salomonson VV, Appel I. Development of the Aqua MODIS NDSI Fractional Snow Cover Algorithm and Validation Results. IEEE Trans Geosci Remote Sens. 2006 Jul; 44(7):1747-56.
- Parajka J, Bloschl G. Spatio-Temporal Combination of MODIS Images - Potential for Snow Cover Mapping. Water Resour Res. 2008 Mar; 44(3):1-13.
- Wang X, Xie H. New Methods for Studying the Spatiotemporal Variation of Snow Cover Based on Combination Products of MODIS Terra and Aqua. J Hydrol. 2009 Jun; 371(1):192–200.
- Wang X, Xie H, Liang T. Development and Assessment of Combined Terra and Aqua MODIS Snow Cover Products in Colorado Plateau, USA and Northern Xinjiang, China. J. Appl. Remote Sens. 2009 Oct; 3(1):1-15.
- Yang J, Jiang L, Menral CB, Luojus K, Lemmetyinen J, Pulliainen J. Evaluation of snow products over the Tibetan Plateau. 2015 Jul; 29(15):3247-60.
- Lopez-Burgos V, Gupta HV, Clark M. Reducing cloud obscuration of MODIS snow cover area products by combining spatio-temporal techniques with a probability of snow approach. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 2013 May; 17(5):1809-2013.
- Gascoin S, Hagolle O, Huc M, Jarlan L, Dejoux JF, Szczypta C, Marti R, Sanchez R. A snow cover climatology for the Pyrenees from MODIS snow products. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 2015; 19(5):2337-51.
- Meiman JR. Snow accumulation related to elevation, aspect and forest canopy. Proceedings of Workshop, Seminar on Snow Hydrology. 1968; p. 35-47.
- Dexter LR. University of Colorado: Aspect and elevation effects on the structure of the seasonal snow cover in Colorado. Thesis [Ph.D]. 1986.
- Akyurek Z, Sorman AU. Monitoring snow covered areas using NOAA-AVHRR data in the eastern part of Turkey; Hydrological Sciences Journal. 2002 Apr; 47(2):243-52.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.