Total views : 292
Low Power High Speed based Various Adder Architectures using SPST
Adder is a circuit that is combinational andcalculates the sum of three (full adder) or two (half adder) inputs. Full adder can be cascaded to produce n-stages of adder. This cascaded adder structure is called as parallel adder. The sum and carry outputs of any stage cannot be calculated until the input carry occurs, this leads to a delay in the addition process. In order to overcome the delay, carry look ahead adder is proposed which is said to be a fast adder. To improve the speed of vary look ahead adder, Spurious Power Suppression Technique (SPST) is used. This paper discusses 8-bit adder consisting of three architectures parallel adder, normal carry look ahead adder and SPST carry look ahead adder. The results were simulated using Xilinx tools and as shown, the power has decreased for both the SPST carry look ahead adder and the SPST ripple carry adder. The code was written in Verilog HDL and tested on a Xilinx FPGA test board as a part of a velocity measurement circuit for an Electromagnetic Projectile Launcher.
Adder, Full Adder, Power, Parallel Adder, SPST.
- Adder(electronics). Available from: https://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Adder_(electronics)
- Narayan VS, Pratima SM, Saroja VS, Banakar RM. High speed low power VLSI architecture for SPST adder using modified carry look ahead adder. AISC Proceedings of ICAdC; 2012. p. 461–6.
- Chen K-H. Design exploration of a Spurious Power Suppression Technique (SPST) and its applications. IEEE Asian Solid-State Circuits Conference; 2005 Nov. p. 341-4.
- Chen K-H. A spurious-power suppression technique for multimedia/DSP applications. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers. 2009 Jan; 56(1):132–43.
- Chen K-H. A low-power multiplier with the spurious power suppression technique. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems. 2007 Jul; 15(7):846–50.
- Shmuel W, Stanislavsky A. Energy efficient hybrid adder architecture. Integration, the VLSI Journal. 2015; 48:109– 15.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.