Biomechanical Modeling of Human Foot using Finite Element Methods
Objective: Studies involving in vivo experimentation in human beings requires ethical clearance and it is cumbersome due to existing laws and procedures. This research aims in developing a 3D anatomically realistic Finite Element (FE) model of the human foot. Methodology: The Computed tomography (CT) images of the human foot were captured. Using image reconstruction technique, the outer surface of the various components of foot including the 26 bones, plantar fascia, achilles tendon and other ligaments were developed. Findings: Applying the necessary boundary and loading conditions on the FE model, the internal stress distribution under different conditions of foot were calculated and compared with published literatures. Applications/Improvements: Upon validation, this FE model can be used to study the behavior a deformed / diabetic foot by altering the suitable material properties of foot. Further the detailed study on design of custom foot orthoses may be performed to counter effect the foot deformity.
- Giridharan NV, Kumar V, Muthuswamy V. Use of Animals in Scientific Research. New Delhi: Indian Council of Medical Research, 2000 May.
- Rosenberg ZS, Cheung Y, Jahss MH. Computed tomography scan and magnetic resonance imaging of ankle tendons: an overview. Foot Ankle. 1988 Jun; 8(6):297–307.
- Bandak FA, Tannous RE, Toridis T. On the development of an osseo-ligamentous finite element model of the human ankle joint. International Journal of Solids and Structures. 2001; 38:1681–97.
- Cheung JT, Zhang M. Finite Element Modeling of the Human Foot and Footwear. ABAQUS Users’ Conference, 2006 May 23; Cambridge, USA. 2006. p. 145–59.
- Qiu TX, Teo EC, Yan YB, Lei W. Finite element modeling of a 3D coupled foot–boot model. Medical Engineering and Physics. 2011 Dec; 33(10):1228–33.
- Latif AA, Moazemi AG, Ali P, Misagh I, Abouei MA. Finite element analysis of human femur by reverse engineering modeling method. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(13):1–10. Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i13/47884.
- Vickie B, Rocco P, Robert M, Peter H, Iain A. The use of sparse CT datasets for auto-generating accurate FE models of the femur and pelvis. Journal of Biomechanics. 2007; 40(1):26–35.
- Martin G, Margit G, Christian P. Alternative solution of virtual biomodeling based on CT-scans. Journal of Biomechanics. 2009 Aug; 42(12):2006–2009.
- Bernard G, Germain F, Hugues B, Frederic C, Patrick C, Denis F, Alban G, Patrick H, Carole L, Herve L, Johan M, Joachim T, Tristan G. OntoVIP: An ontology for the annotation of object models used for medical image simulation. Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2014 Dec; 52:279–92.
- Madhulika B. A Proposed Stratification Approach for MRI Images. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(22):1–10. Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i22/72152.
- Cheryl LR. Anatomy of the ankle and foot. Physical Therapy. 1988 Dec; 68(12):1802–14.
- Hall SJ. Basic Biomechanics. 6th ed., Columbus: McGraw-Hill; 2012; 251–7.
- Diane LF. Human and Nonhuman Bone Identification: A Color Atlas. Florida: CRC Press; 2009; 477–504.
- Scholl WM. The Human Foot - Anatomy, Deformities and Treatment. Chicago: Foot Specialist Publishing Co.; 1916.
- Jason TC, Ming Z, Aaron KL, Fan YB. Three-dimensional finite element analysis of the foot during standing–a material sensitivity study. Journal of Biomechanics. 2005 May; 38(5):1045–54.
- Ashutosh K, Vipin S, Jain YK, Surender D. Review of Gait cycle and its parameters. International Journal of Computational Engineering and Management. 2011 Jul; 13:78–83.
- Cavanagh PR, Rodgers MM, Iiboshi A. Pressure Distribution under Symptom-Free Feet during Barefoot Standing. Foot and Ankle International. 1987 Apr; 7(5):262–8.
- Lavery LA, Vela SA, Fleischli JG, Armstrong DG, Lavery DC. Reducing plantar pressure in the neuropathic foot – a comparison of footwear. Diabetes Care. 1997 Nov; 20(11):1706–10.
- Raspovic A, Newcombe L, Lloyd J, Dalton E. Effect of customized insoles on vertical plantar pressures in sites of previous neuropathic ulceration in the diabetic foot. The Foot. 2000 Sep; 10(3):133–8.
- Manikandan K, Logesh K, Sivaraman J, Padmapriya P, Vijayalakshmi C. Design and development of a foot pressure scanner for diabetic patients. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–4. Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i2/85808.
- Manjunatha VG, Kamalesh VN. Vision based Human Gait Recognition System: Observations, Pragmatic Conditions and Datasets. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(15):1–11. Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i15/71237.
- Lee H, Jang E, Kim J, Hong J, Yu J, Lee D. A Study of Postural Sway according to the Wedge Direction during one Leg Standing. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(25):1–9. Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i25/97237.
- Vijayaragavan E, Leya MK, Sulayman H, Gopal TV. Application of rapid prototyping in the treatment of clubfoot in children. Procedia Engineering. 2014 Dec; 97:2298–305.
- Kai T, Dongmei W, Chengtao W, Xu W, Anmin L, Christopher J, David H. An in vivo experimental validation of a computational model of human foot. Journal of Bionic Engineering. 2009; 6:387–97.
- Vara I, Evan D, Joseph MI, Bruce JS, William RL. Finite element analysis of the foot: Model validation and comparison between two common treatments of the clawed hallux deformity. Clinical Biomechanics. 2012; 27:837–44.
- Ranjitha RJ, Vijayaragavan E, Angeline K.3dimensional modeling of an ankle foot orthosis for Clubfoot deformity. International Journal of Biomedical Research. 2011; 2:171–80.
- Chen WP, Tang FK, Ju CW. Stress distribution of the foot during mid-stance to push-off in barefoot gait - a 3D finite element analysis. Clinical Biomechanics. 2001 Aug;16(7):614–20.
- Tao K, Wang D, Wang C, Wang X, Liu A, Nester CJ, Howard D. An In Vivo Experimental Validation of a Computational Model of Human Foot. Journal of Bionic Engineering. 2009 Dec; 6(4):387–39.
- Wright DG, Rennels DC. A study of the elastic properties of plantar fascia. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1964 Apr; 46(3):482–92.
- Thomas AS, Ahmet E, Susan ES, Ann Y, Scott T, Peter RC. Simple finite element models for use in the design of therapeutic footwear. Journal of Biomechanics. 2014; 47:2948–55.
- Shane J, Haihua O. Effects of boundary conditions on foot behavior in the standing position in 3D finite element foot model. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. 2014 Apr; 7(1, A38).
- Shanti J, Patil KM, Brank LH, Huson A. Stresses in a 3D two arch model of a normal human foot. Mechanics Research Communications. 1996 Jul; 23(4):387–93.
- Jason TC, Ming Z, An KN. Effect of Achilles tendon loading on plantar fascia tension in the standing foot. Clinical Biomechanics. 2006 Feb; 21(2):194–203.
- Simkin. Structural analysis of the human foot in standing posture. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Biomechanics, Tel Aviv University, Aviv-Yafo, Israel, 1982.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.