Total views : 234
Study on Dual-Phase Structure of AISI4140 Steel
Heat treatment is a combination of heating and cooling operations, implemented to a metal or alloys in solid state that will produce desired properties. All basic heat treating processes for steel involve the complete or partial transformation or decomposition of austenite. The nature and appearance of these transformation products determine the physical and mechanical properties of given steel. The present work intended to produce a dual-phase structure in medium carbon low alloy Steel (AISI4140) and experimentally investigating the effects of pretreatments (annealing, normalizing) on austenitisation and hence dual-phase properties of AISI4140 steel. Experimental investigation shows considerable positive effect of initial room temperature structure on the characterization of the heat treated dual phase steel. Annealed dualphase steel has more hardness as compared to normalized dual-phase steel. The dual-phase steel (ferrite-bainite) formed with normalizing as pretreatment has got better impact resistance.
AISI4140, Annealing, Dual-Phase (Ferrite-Bainite), Normalizing.
- Avedesian MM, Baker B . ASM Metals Handbook. 1991; 4:25.
- Jyothirmai S, Devi IA, Sudhakar, IR, Ramesh R. Hardness prediction model for en grade steels subjected to different heat treatment processes. Advanced Materials Manufacturing and Characterization. 2014; 4(2):1–5.
- Raj A, Wins KLD , Anand MD As . Performance evaluation of vegetable oil based cutting fluid during hard turning of AISI 4340 steel with minimal cutting fluid application. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(13):1–6.
- Jayakumar J, Mohanamurugan M, Rajavel R, Kumar A. Residual stress analysis in austenitic stainless steel weldment by finite element method. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(36):1–4.
- Sun S, Pugh M. Influence of martensite mechanical properties on failure mode and ductility of dual-phase steels mater. Sci Eng A. 2002; 335:298–308.
- Hillis DJ, Llewellyn DT, Evans PJJ. Ironmaking steelmaking, mechanical properties of dual phace steel quenched in bitumn medium. 1998; 25(1):47–54.
- Ahmad E, Manzoor T, Ali KL. Akhter treatment on the mechanical properties of AISI 4340 steel. Mater Eng Perf. 2000; 9(3):306.
- Schade C, Murphy T, Alan Lawley A, Doherty R. Microstructure and mechanical properties of a bainitic PM Steel;. Philadelphia, PA. 2015. p. 1–14.
- Vasudevan E, Palanichamy P, Venkadesan S. A novel technique for characterizing annealing behavior, Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia. 1994; 30(11):1479–83.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.