Total views : 866
Machine Learning Techniques for Thyroid Disease Diagnosis - A Review
Background/Objective: Thyroid is an interminable and complex infection happened because of unseemly TSH (Thyroid Simulating Hormone) levels or might be brought on by the issues in thyroid organ itself. The most widely recognized reason for hypothyroidism is hashimoto’s thyroid. It is an auto safe condition where the body makes antibodies that pulverize the thyroid organ. The system behind the flow of the event of the thyroid ailment is still not completely caught on. Methods/ Analysis: The neural network models which describe the aspects related non functionality of thyroid gland, its autoimmune condition and different aspects of thyroid disease have been explored. The consequences related to thyroid disease are growing rapidly and provides new insights into the biological mechanism involved and helps in the management of thyroid disease. Here, the contribution of different neural network modeling in identifying the thyroid dysfunctionality over the past two decades has been discussed. Results: Some parameter estimation methods, execution of the distinctive neural system models have been explored. Additionally, the utilization of the distinctive neural system models for distinguishing the dis functionalities of thyroid disease in the recent decades has been talked about.
Artificial Neural Networks, Decision Support Systems, Expert Systems, Learning Vector Quantization, Machine Learning, Statistical Methods.
- Available from: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-09/mali-nht093014.php.
- Available from: http://www.thyroid.org/thyroid-function-tests/ http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-09/mali-nht093014.php.
- Ajam N. Heart diseases diagnoses using Artificial Neural Network in network and complex systems; 2015.
- Zhang GP, Berardi VL. An investigation of neural networks in thyroid function diagnosis. Health Care Management Science. 1998; 1:29–37.
- Hoshi K, Kawakami J, Kumagai M, Kasahara S, Nishimura N, Nakamura H, Sato K. An analysis of thyroid function diagnosis using bayesian-type and som-type neural networks. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2005; 53:1570–74.
- Isa IS, Saad Z, Omar S, Osman MK, Ahmad KA, Sakim H. Suitable MLP network activation functions for breast cancer and thyroid disease detection. 2010 Second International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation (CIMSiM); 2010. p. 39–44.
- Polat K, Şahan S, Güneş S. A novel hybrid method based on Artificial Immune Recognition System (AIRS) with fuzzy weighted pre-processing for thyroid disease diagnosis. Expert Systems with Applications. 2007; 32:1141–47.
- Keleş A, Keleş A. Estdd: Expert system for thyroid diseases diagnosis. Expert Systems with Applications. 2008; 34:242–6.
- Ozyilmaz L, Yildirim T. Diagnosis of thyroid disease using artificial neural network methods. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Neural Information Processing, 2002. ICONIP'02; 2002. p. 2033–6.
- Temurtas F. A comparative study on thyroid disease diagnosis using neural networks. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009; 36:944–9.
- Paliwal M, Kumar UA. Neural networks and statistical techniques: A review of applications. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009; 36:2–17.
- Sharpe PK, Solberg HE, Rootwelt K, Yearworth M. Artificial neural networks in diagnosis of thyroid function from in vitro laboratory tests. Clinical Chemistry. 2009; 39:2248–53.
- Kodaz H, Özşen S, Arslan A, Güneş S. Medical application of information gain based Artificial Immune Recognition System (AIRS): Diagnosis of thyroid disease. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009; 36:3086–92.
- Rastogi, Bhalla A, Monika A. Study of neural network in diagnosis of thyroid. International Journal of Computer Technology and Electronics Engineering. 2014; 4.
- Kulkarni, Satish N, Karwankar AR. Thyroid disease detection using modified fuzzy hyperline segment clustering neural network. International Journal of Computers & Technology. 2012; 3(3):466–9.
- Kousarrizi, Nazari MR, Seiti F, Teshnehlab M. An experimental comparative study on thyroid disease diagnosis based on feature subset selection and classification’. International Journal of Electrical & Computer Sciences. 2012; 12(1):13–20.
- Anupam S, Ritu T, Prabhdeep K, Janghel RR. Diagnosis of thyroid disorders using artificial neural networks. Paper presented at the Advance Computing Conference, 2009.
- Rouhani M, Mansouri K. Comparison of several Ann architectures on the thyroid diseases grades diagnosis. Computer Science and Information Technology-Spring Conference; 2009. p. 526–8.
- Senol C, Yildirim T. Thyroid and breast cancer disease diagnosis using fuzzy-neural networks. International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering; 2009. p. II-390–II-93.
- Shariati, Haghighi MM. Comparison of Anfis neural network with several other Anns and support vector machine for diagnosing hepatitis and thyroid diseases. 2010 International Conference on Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications (CISIM); 2010. p. 596–99.
- Shroff S, Pise S, Chalekar P, Panicker SS. Thyroid disease diagnosis: A survey. 2015 IEEE 9th International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Control (ISCO); 2015. p. 1–6.
- Alkım E, Gürbüz E, Kılıç E. New intelligent diagnosis method to determine thyroid disorders. 2011 IEEE 19th Conference on Signal Processing and Communications Applications (SIU); 2011. p. 38–41.
- Saiti F, Naini AA, Shoorehdeli MA, Teshnehlab M. Thyroid disease diagnosis based on genetic algorithms using Pnn and Svm. 3rd International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering; 2009. p. 1–4.
- Chen H-L, Yang B, Wang G, Liu J, Chen Y-D, Liu D-Y. A three-stage expert system based on support vector machines for thyroid disease diagnosis. Journal of Medical Systems. 2012; 36:1953–63.
- Valanarasi Antony Santiagu Vaz. Diagnosis of hypo and hyperthyroid using MLPN Network. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2014; 3(7):14314–23.
- Rago T, Chiovato L, Grasso L, Pinchera A, Vitti P. Thyroid ultrasonography as a tool for detecting thyroid autoimmune diseases and predicting thyroid dysfunction in apparently healthy subjects. Journal of Endocrinological Investigation. 2001; 24:763–9.
- Varde AS, Massey KL, Wood HC. A clinical laboratory expert system for the diagnosis of thyroid dysfunction. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. 1991; 13:1288–9.
- Li L-N, Ouyang J-H, Chen H-L, Liu D-U. A computer aided diagnosis system for thyroid disease using extreme learning machine. Journal of Medical Systems. 2012; 36:3327–37.
- Azar AT, Hassanien AE, Kim T-H. Expert system based on neural-fuzzy rules for thyroid diseases diagnosis. Computer Applications for Bio-Technology, Multimedia, and Ubiquitous City; 2012. p. 94–105.
- Makas H, Yumusak N. A comprehensive study on thyroid diagnosis by neural networks and swarm intelligence. 2013 International Conference on Electronics, Computer and Computation (ICECCO); 2013. p. 180–3.
- Papageorgiou EI, Papandrianos NI, Apostolopoulos DJ, Vassilakos PJ. Fuzzy cognitive map based decision support system for thyroid diagnosis management. International Conference on Fuzzy Systems; 2008. p. 1204–11.
- Dogantekin E, Dogantekin A, Avci D. An expert system based on generalized discriminant analysis and wavelet support vector machine for diagnosis of thyroid diseases. Expert Systems with Applications. 2011; 38:146–50.
- Aziz SB. Thyroid disease diagnosis using genetic algorithm and neural network; 2009 Jun 11–13.
- Mendre W, Raut D. Thyroid disease diagnosis using image processing: a survey. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publication. 2012; 2:12.
- Margret JJ, Lakshmipathi B, Kumar SA. Diagnosis of thyroid disorders using decision tree splitting rules. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2012; 44.
- Pandey S, Gour DK, Sharma V. Comparative study on classification of thyroid diseases. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology. 2015; 28.
- Pandey S, Miri R, Tandan SR. Diagnosis and classification of hypothyroid disease using data mining techniques. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2013.
- Sarasvathi V, Santhakumaran A. Towards artificial neural network model to diagnose thyroid problems. Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology. 2011; 11.
- Kaur G. Proposing efficient neural network training model for thyroid disease diagnosis. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies. 2012; 3(3):3900–4.
- Gharehchopogh FS, Molany M, Mokri FD. Using artificial neural network in diagnosis of thyroid disease: A case study. International Journal of Computational Sciences and Applications. 2013; 3:49–61.
- Prerana PS, Taneja K. Predictive data mining for diagnosis of thyroid disease using neural network. International Journal of Research in Management, Science & Technology. 2015; 3(2):75–80.
- Zhang K, Chai Y, Yang SX. Self-organizing feature map for cluster analysis in multi-disease diagnosis. Expert Systems with Applications. 2010; 37:6359–67.
- Erol R, Oğulata SN, Şahin C, Alparslan ZN. A Radial Basis Function Neural Network (Rbfnn) approach for structural classification of thyroid diseases. Journal of Medical Systems. 2008; 32:215–20.
- Borisagar N, Maru A. ANN in medical field survey paper. International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Communication Engineering. 2015; 3.
- Chang C-Y, Chung P-C, Hong Y-C, Tseng C-H. A neural network for thyroid segmentation and volume estimation in CT images. Computational Intelligence Magazine. 2011; 643–55.
- Zabidi A, Mansor W, Khuan LY, Yassin IM, Sahak R. Classification of infant cries with hypothyroidism using multilayer perceptron neural network. 2009 IEEE International Conference on Signal and Image Processing Applications; 2009. p. 246–51.
- Martins LGA, Monteiro LHA. 10th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology; 2010.
- Kim YS, Yoon CN. Methodology of the thyroid gland disease decision-making using profiling in steroid hormone pathway. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2007; 43:1100–5.
- Bhalla JS, Aggarwal A. A novel method for medical disease diagnosis using artificial neural networks based on back propagation algorithm. Confluence 2013: The Next Generation Information Technology Summit (4th International Conference); 2013. p. 55–61.
- Razia S, Narasingarao MR, Sridhar GR. A decision support system for prediction of thyroid disease-a comparison of multilayer perceptron neural network and radial basis function neural network. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2015; 80.
- Bastias A, Horvath E, Baesler F, Silva C. Predictive model based on neural networks to assist the diagnosis of malignancy of thyroid nodules. Proceedings of the 41st International Conference on Computers & Industrial Engineering; 2011. p. 92–7.
- Prerana PS. Comparative study of Gd, Lm and Scg method of neural network for thyroid disease diagnosis. International Journal of Advanced Research. 2015; 1:34–9.
- Koundal D, Gupta S, Singh S. Computer-aided diagnosis of thyroid nodule: A review. International Journal of Computer Science and Engineering Survey. 2012; 3:67.
- Gireesha HM, Nanda S. Thyroid nodule segmentation and classification in ultrasound images. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology; 2014.
- Kaur G, Sidhu, Kaur EB. Artificial neural networks for diagnosis of thyroid.
- Agustin AS, Babu SS. A review of thyroid disorder detection, segmentation and classification on medical images. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology. 2013 Feb; 2(3):88–93.
- Haddadnia J, Seryasa OR, Rabiee H. Thyroid diseases diagnosis using probabilistic neural network and principal component analysis. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research. 2013.
- Hanirex DK, Kaliyamurthie KP. Multi-classification approach for detecting thyroid attacks. 2013.
- Banu GR, Baviya M, Ali M. A study on thyroid disease using datamining algorithm. International Journal of Technical Research and Applications. 2015.
- Banu GR. Predicting thyroid disease using Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA) data mining technique. 2016; 4(1). DOI: 10.5120/cae2016651990.
- Uma KV, Appavu S. Classification of adverse event thyroid cancer using naïve entropy and association function. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i4/87042.
- Raja S, Ramkumar P, Viji P. Scientometric dimension on gender in worldwide thyroid cancer: a study based on web of science database. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Apr; 4(4). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2011/v4i4/30015.
- Ravisankar R, Kiruba S, Chandrasekaran A, Naseerutheen A, Seran M, Balaji PD. Estimation of thyroid hormone status and thyroid antibodies in type-1 diabetes Mellitus. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Sep; 3(9). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2010/v3i9/29880.
- Kim S-T, Baek M, Cho J-K. Analysis on distribution of effective dose rate around patients for treatment of thyroid cancer with I-131. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S7). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS7/70148.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.